Another Viper crash in NY today

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure anyone has mentioned that your viper will have MORE HP compared to summer driving. I'm not certain of the ratio of temp to HP (maybe one of our engineers can post it up), but the cold creates a dangerous combination of diminished traction and increased HP.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engines consume a fixed volume of air; the air density changes with temperature, so a cylinder will **** in more "pounds" of air when the temperature is lower. The engine adds the right "pounds" of fuel to make it burn.

Here's a simple table of density vs. temperature. Remember the correct air temperature is that as it enters the combustion chamber, not ambient. However, for giggles, if you compare the density at 100F to that at 30F, the density is 0.081/0.071=1.14, or 14% greater. As a really rough estimation and ignoring many other things, any engine would have 14% more power at 30F than at 100F.

Air - Temperature, Pressure and Density

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was driving my 72 Challenger all year round for 8 yrs back in the 70's [ including ski trips with ton of sand in the trunk] to know not to mess with the Viper during cold months.I have a Navigator with all the comforts ,why risk getting into trouble especially with bad drivers during the winter months .

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I had Toms knowlege. ;)

Engines consume a fixed volume of air; the air density changes with temperature, so a cylinder will **** in more "pounds" of air when the temperature is lower. The engine adds the right "pounds" of fuel to make it burn.

Here's a simple table of density vs. temperature. Remember the correct air temperature is that as it enters the combustion chamber, not ambient. However, for giggles, if you compare the density at 100F to that at 30F, the density is 0.081/0.071=1.14, or 14% greater. As a really rough estimation and ignoring many other things, any engine would have 14% more power at 30F than at 100F.

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taximan a NJ member has a VOI 9 car, (if memory serves me correctly) I hope this wasn't him.

Regards,
Aaron

Your right Aaron, a guy from NY bought a VOI 9 from Buhler, I think he is a NJ member also.
Hope everyone is OK, he is a real nice guy and used to post on this site.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love Tom. He's like a resident Don Herbert (someone else that's old might recall that name from childhood).

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm not dead yet and still have a few miles to go with my '94 (now 110K and counting) so you'll have to put up with me for a while longer.

(thank you)

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom ,
You are awsome and we are lucky to have you on the board . I usauly cant understand what the ___ you are talking about but you always sum it up at the end for simple people like me :) and I always listen to your advice. Thanks