Anti-Freeze Question

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have read numerous threads dealing with this issue so I am going to see if any new technology is being used. I am looking at getting 4 gallons of Zerex ZXGO5RU1 50/50 mixture with the demineralized water in it. My question...is this mixture as good as the Peak Global? Same, better or don't waste my money?. I am looking for a long term antifreeze with no corrosion problems and long lasting life. My NAPA guy says this is rated one of the best. Whaddya think? Flushing out all of the old this weekend.
Thanks!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, anything will work if mixed right and maintained. you can use straight water if it doesn't freeze

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, anything will work if mixed right and maintained. you can use straight water if it doesn't freeze

:nono: Distilled water and Water Wetter. Don't make me get Tom and have him spank your candy ass. :D

OP
OP
V

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dom....I read that thread a few days ago and just wondered if I was getting the best bang for my buck with a good quality antifreeze. No one has said anything negative or "don't buy it so I'm going with the Zerex. It meets all the specs.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use just distilled water and nothing else, being in Southern California I don't have to worry about freezing.

Um, bad idea. It won't freeze, but the aluminum, iron, solder joints, brass and any other metals in contact with the "water" will still corrode. You can use perhaps only 30% anti-freeze or get Zerex racing coolant - it is the anti-corrosion additive package in antifreeze but without the glycol. Performance enhancers like Water Wetter are not designed to be long-life corrosion proteciton.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know, Tom. I've been using distilled+water wetter in performance cars for a while now (no glycol allowed on track and it doesn't really freeze down here) but naturally assumed there were corrosion-protection ingredients in it. Doh! I'll chase down some Zerex racing stuff soon and switch.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On page 3, Table Three it shows corrosion rates of water vs. water + 30% glycol vs. water + 30% inhibited glycol. "Inhibited" means treated with corrosion inhibitors. The take-home is that is isn't the fluid (either the water or ethylene glycol or propylene glycol) that resists corrosion, it is the additive package.

http://www.afe.org/Publications/journal/SelectingGlycol_SeptOct2010.pdf

The article was written for HVAC use and automotive use has it's own peculiarities, but also has an effective anti-corrosion additive package. It is what makes DEX-COOL or a 5-yr long-life coolant different from the old green antifreeze.

The Zerex may seem expensive, but only used at 5%-10% (I think.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang