antifreeze leak

cmykrazyragoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a 1996 viper rt10 went away for five mts. when i came home there was antifreeze under the car i checked all the hoses lines etc could not find any likes cleaned up the mess couple days later another puddle i bought a pressure tester pumped it up to 150 lbs found antifreeze coming out of the exhaust system at the joints what should i be looking for to correct this problem you can e mail me at [email protected] thank you richie

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
150 lbs????? were the puddles in the same location when you came home as when you pumped it up with the pressure tester?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Kidding? 150 lbs? I thought the cooling systems are designed to operate in the 14-16 lb range. Seems a leak would've showed up with a lot less than 150 and possibly be damaged with that much. someone enlighten us. :D

OP
OP
C

cmykrazyragoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
started out at 20 and worked up to that point before it started leaking and it was the same area as when i first found the leak
No Kidding? 150 lbs? I thought the cooling systems are designed to operate in the 14-16 lb range. Seems a leak would've showed up with a lot less than 150 and possibly be damaged with that much. someone enlighten us. :D

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never in my life go higher than what's on the cap for normal operating pressure (maybe slightly above).... How does the car run? Any white smoke out exhaust either cold or at operating temp?

Last edited:

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a similar problem a few weeks back, with my 95 RT/10. I called the great Tator, and he said to check the various connections. He makes it a habit to check every spring. He said the OEM clamp-style will lose their strength over time. The aftermarket screw-type have their own issues. Tator said that over time the radiator hoses will shrink and the screw-type "stays" where it was last tightened, thus the leak. I went to the local auto parts and borrowed a pressure tester. Per the service manual I pumped the system up to 15psi at the high pressure bottle. My issues all seemed to be from the newer screw-type style. I had some small pressure leakage at the back by the thermostat housing, and the actual leak was at one of the larger connections at the water pump. I tightened all my screw-type clamps down, and no leaks. I'm now able to hold pressure at 15 psi, for a week. Going to put fluid back in and test the system later this week.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seals and gaskets in your cooling system were never intended to hold up to 150 PSI. I am not surprised they leaked. Ask for help to minimize the possiblity of doing additional damage. It has been said there are only two types of Gen 1 head gaskets: The ones that have leaked and been replaced and the ones that need to be.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seals and gaskets in your cooling system were never intended to hold up to 150 PSI. I am not surprised they leaked. Ask for help to minimize the possiblity of doing additional damage. It has been said there are only two types of Gen 1 head gaskets: The ones that have leaked and been replaced and the ones that need to be.

+1

Sounds to me like he:
pushed the coolant through the gasket,
into the cylinder,
out the exhaust valve port
into the header where is dripped out of the leaky joint

I'm guessing that 1st two puddles on the floor were from a leak other than the headgasket though. I would go through the entire 16 year old cooling system and see what is what. If the headgasket has never been replaced(on Any gen1), I would replace it.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: At 150 PSI I'm amazed that everything in the cooling system didn't blow apart.

OP
OP
C

cmykrazyragoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would never in my life go higher than what's on the cap for normal operating pressure (maybe slightly above).... How does the car run? Any white smoke out exhaust either cold or at operating temp?

no smoke runs good does not over heat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang