Any '01 ABS Driving Impressions?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any \'01 ABS Driving Impressions?

Any driving impressions of the new ABS?

Are they state-of-the-art, i.e., equal to the best ABS currently available from the Big 3?

I am concerned because GM has produced some ABS which are coupled to weak and/or restricted braking systems resulting in hazardous operation even when new!!! Just talk to anyone who has a new Suburban!!

Thanks
Tom

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Any \'01 ABS Driving Impressions?

Looked pretty good in the live demo at VOI6.

Hope it's Nadine proof! I drove a Neon once with ABS and managed to break it (I nearly ran Justin Bell over too!). I'd never had the chance to drive ABS before; so I stood on the brakes, locked up and sat waiting for the ABS to happen, it didn't. I managed to lock all four wheels at the same time, so the computer didn't know which one to send the stopping power to and unlock or something?!

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nadine,

WOW, all 4 at once. ....sounds like a non-Ford system.

All I can say is that the Ford system which I have driven, operates the way I would have designed it.

First, they couple the ABS with a Strong Braking System - on that can lock 4 wheel disks up! And when the ABS kicks in, your decel G's Do Not Drop Off appreciably! With GM, when the ABS kicks in, it feels like you hit ice on the road.

BTW, I HATE FORDS!!!!!!!!

Always keep shiny side up
Tom

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I suspect that there are a few reasons you haven't heard a lot about the performance of the '01 ABS just yet:

1. It's still pretty earlier in the delivery cycle and not a lot of '01's are on the streets yet.

2. The road racing season is largely over and your race guys, the guys that will really put the ABS to work, haven't had the opportunity to experiment with it yet.

3. Not too many new Viper owners want to try to lock up the brakes at high speeds to test it out, especially in cold weather. In the event it doesn't work great, many don't want to risk flat-spotting $1,000+ worth of tires.

I would expect a LOT of reviews to come out in the coming months, especially as the road venues (racing) begin again. Like you, I am eager to hear the results!

Chris

PS. For the 'Off Topic' category: What is wrong with the new Suburban ABS? I have a new Yukon XL and it works great. The Ford (Navigator) stunk.

NoPistons

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i sure hope the abs is worth it
thats the main reason i want a '01
instead of an older, much cheaper gts
You must be registered for see images