Any experience out there selling a high mileage viper?

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always said that I would sell my viper if it was just sitting in the garage and it's been sitting there for a year now. Mostly attracting dust. Anyway, it's an 01 RT and it has 113K miles on it. It's in good shape and still runs very strong, but like anything used for 11 years as a daily driver, it could use a little more TLC. Almost every bolt on with the exception of forced induction (Stryker heads, rockers, headers, catback, flywheel, etc). I'm not sure what I could get for it and don't have the desire to put up with someone trying to steal it.

Any opinions - other than put a cover on it and leave it there? :)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're looking for a buyer who appreciates the mods and recognizes the value. That's unfortunately probably not your average eBay buyer.....the mileage will scare them and they'll discount the value of your heads. That, in turn, narrows your market. Advertise the car here and to the Viper cognescenti first and see what interest you get. If unsuccessful, take the heads off, replace most of the tasty mods with stock pieces, sell the now "stock" car for a discount and offset that with the proceeds from the tasy parts in which you've invested. More work for sure, but less frustrating than dealing withthe tire kickers on eBay and CL.......

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definitely put it back to stock and sell it, some of those are big ticket items that you can get good money for that will get lost in the high mileage of your car.

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would hate to put it back to stock, but maybe that is the only way. Unless I found someone who really wanted to drive a fairly modified Viper and not worry about it so much. Time to put on my thinking cap...

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So your selling a 2001 Viper with 113k miles on it, because you "never use it"??? agree, take the mods off. They are not worth $1 to a car like this.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on how much $$$$ you're expecting to get. Maybe try posting it here first, like DrmrBoy said.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a buyer for everything, just a matter of finding the right time. I know when I was looking for mine I didn't mind a few little scuffs here and there because I planned to drive it all the time. If I would have bought a pristine one I'd be mad at myself every time I got a scratch. Buying it pre-scratched makes it easier, lol. The mileage might be a tough sale though. I know these cars are built like tanks and miles don't really hurt them much, but the 100k mark is a magic number that a lot of people automatically back away from. Since it sounds like you don't really have to sell it you could always just list it somewhere and leave it be. If the price isn't right you're in no rush to get rid of it. You can keep enjoying it in the meantime if you get the chance.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but the 100k mark is a magic number that a lot of people automatically back away from
You American chaps are lucky. The magic number up here is also 100k, but kilometers, which is just 62.5k miles.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I guess I bought a 00 XKR with 120k on the clock without too many reservations. Then again it was one of the only coupes I could find in my price range. Ran just fine though, brother's girlfriend bought it and drives it all the time.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wuld clean it up and try selling it the way it is. its not the miles that would appeal to someone but the condition. you can always make the deal pending on you putting it back to stock.

USMARSHALVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to High Jack the Thread, but I guess my question relates because my viper just turned 40k. :)

I am thinking about selling my 94 to fininace a 1996 Blue and White GTS in the future. Below is the info .

My car is in Good Condition/ Not Pristine but a driver’s car. Just turned 40k Miles and is an AC car. AC needs charge. Car has new seats and console done in black leather and vinyl with red stitching and embodied sneaky peat near head rest. New PS2 Rear tires and fresh Mobil One Synthetic Oil change, just installed new K@N Air Filters and smooth tubes. Car currently has race mufflers and no catalytic converters. I have the stock muffler and cat still. MGW shift knobs and accessories. Powder coated semi gloss black 18 inch 2000 GTS wheels in excellent shape with red vinyl stripe. I have the factory soft top that cosmetically is in good shape, but was repaired. As you know they all break on Gen 1’s. Hood and front fasica was repainted due to chips and living on a quarter mile gravel road. Also have the slider windows in good shape. Car is a West Coast car that I have owned for over 2 years. I bought the car from Arizona and prior to me buying it I had Viper Tech Eddie Martin inspected it and give me the thumbs up. Since then I have put about 3000 miles on the car. Car is not mint but not thrash and runs and drives great. It does have some paint chips and such on side sills and other parts of car. Car has a clean title, but I do have a lien on the car which would have to be satisfied. Car does need a rear window which I broke and door stereo speakers installed. I am selling only to by a GTS Viper Blue & White.

Now the Hundred dollar question.

What can I ask or better what can I get?

I was guessing about $ 24,000 obo . The KKB trade in is $ 22, 557 in Fair condtion.

Thanks for all of your time.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mileage is always an issue, but you've obviously got your use out of it. the problem is everyone thinks there car is worth more than it really is.

its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know these engines are pretty unstressed in comparison to almost any other sports car (let alone semi-exotic), but the only way (personally) I would buy one with that high of miles would be if I got it cheap enough to justify doing a complete rebuild on the engine. Lots of cars run over 100k miles now, but they're not cars that are going to be (or have been) run at high RPM's a lot of the time.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I don't see getting a great price for it. Like others have said, you would get more money by pulling off the high dollar performance parts and selling them separately. Its definitely more work, and if you have to pay someone to do it, you probably won't end up with much extra (if any) in your pocket at the end. Considering you don't have time to drive it, I assume you don't have time to do the work yourself either.
From my honest perspective, you're better off to either keep it and try to drive it as much as you can, or sell it for a good bit less than what you're wanting for it. You can list it somewhere and let it sit, and maybe the right person will come along, but don't be in a rush. The other option, which I've done once in the past, is to sell it cheap, but sell it to a good friend who you know would love it and enjoy it. You still don't have the money you wanted, but at least it went to a friend you made very happy instead of a stranger. If I'm going to lose money, at least it helps to know I made a close friend happy, instead of somebody who answered a random ad.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Stryker castings haven't changed since you put 'em on, then they're worth 5-7K to someone who wants 'em. Upper 20's is a screamin' deal with those heads. A new owner can take the $4K-6K discount (between low 30's and upper 20's) and cover a refresh on the motor........ and end up with a good breathing higher output 01 with an essentially new motor for what they'd pay for an as-it-sits car in the low 30's. Find someone who appreciates this and its a good deal for all. Good luck with the sale if you choose to go that direction!

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What all else will comes with the car? Hardtop/soft top, any other mods? In my opinion as the car stands, High 20's is too low with your mods. Despite your mileage you should ask for mid 30's. Plus there have been few RT's on the market lately, I was looking a few months ago.

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try to remember all of the mods :)

Stryker Heads (some of the first) with the Jesel Rockers
908 Cam
Belanger Headers
High Flow Cats
Corsa 3" Cat Back
Aluminum Flywheel
K&Ns
Smooth Tubes
Cragin ECU flash
Eibachs
5 pt harnesses
Factory Hard & soft tops
170 deg thermostat

I did most of the work myself with some occasional help from Tom Sessions. The heads & cam were installed at about 50K miles.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try to remember all of the mods :)

Stryker Heads (some of the first) with the Jesel Rockers
908 Cam
Belanger Headers
High Flow Cats
Corsa 3" Cat Back
Aluminum Flywheel
K&Ns
Smooth Tubes
Cragin ECU flash
Eibachs
5 pt harnesses
Factory Hard & soft tops
170 deg thermostat

I did most of the work myself with some occasional help from Tom Sessions. The heads & cam were installed at about 50K miles.

What Power does it put down?

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was around 530RWHP/550RWTQ on the dyno I used. I could have gone with a more agressive cam, but as it was my daily driver I really didn't want to rattle my teeth loose. It is a smooth with the mods as it was stock.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with your mods and numbers, i think upper 20's won't be that hard of a sale as long as body is clean

Snake#36

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seasnake I thought you'd already sold your car...I live in Wilm. also & have seen you driving around town quite a bit over the years.....haven't seen you in awhile so I figured you sold it ....surprised you don't have more miles on it than that....if your free Saturday May 4th, come on out to Schaeffer BMW for the Cars &Coffee meet...9-12....the Viper club from Raleigh is trying to get some Vipers together to cruise down to it as well....Tom is supposed to be there also...it'd be a good place to get some exposure.....I wouldn't mind checking the car out myself.....

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll see if I can make it there. Morgan has asked me to go several times, but Saturday AM is one of the few times I get to relax :)

Snake#36

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't think of anything more relaxing than getting out & driving the Viper along with hanging out with some cool cars.... if the weather cooperates there's usually a good turnout ...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't think of anything more relaxing than getting out & driving the Viper along with hanging out with some cool cars.... if the weather cooperates there's usually a good turnout ...

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look at it as therapy...............................:2tu: