Any experience with a Canadian Viper? Pass CA emissions? Metric to Miles?

starcity

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Has anyone had any experience with buying a Viper out of Canada and registering it in the U.S.? What are the emissions like? When converting the speedo and odometer from metric to miles, will Carfax show an odometer rollback, etc? How much is the conversion? What else needs to be done? Will it pass California smog?

Thanks for any feedback or personal experiences.

Chris

anthony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i believe pre air bag vipers are a real pain. so is finding the parts,instument cluster,. i was going to buy one out of canada, but the work was to much for a viper, needed a broker who specialized in these cars,it was hard to find one that wanted anything to do with a pre air bag viper.also the conversion from metric to miles ,had to replace the instrument cluster in the dash, i believe i was quoted at least a grand for this.. what year viper is it?

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look at the asking prices for Vipers in Canada. www.trader.ca If you have a line on a good deal buy it and resell in Canada. The exchange rate will kill you coming the other way.
A few years ago when the CDN dollar was .69 US it made sense but right now at around .87 there is no margin. Asking prices for CDN edition Vipers are thousands more than for the same car in the US.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

My 97 gts is from Canada, and runs fine. I wasn't the one that did the conversion, though I don't think it's a huge affair. I think the most noticeable thing is the daytime running lights. I'm in the SF area too if you want to take a look at it some time.

OP
OP
S

starcity

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Any experience with a Canadian Viper? Pass CA emissions? Metric to Mile

It is a 2000 GTS ACR.

Warfang, what does the carfax show on your car? Do you have your vin # so I can see it for myself.

I know there are registered guys out there that provide documentation after the conversion to avoid any odometer rollback type incidents.

Just want to be on the safe side. Thanks for your feedback.

Chris

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Make certain advertise the old metric face guages on this site. There are a bunch of US car owners in Canada that will be interested in them. I would trade you mine except I am paranoid about doing anything with the speedo because the car still has the DC extended warranty. I will sniff around and see if I can find you a Canadian buyer for the car to save the shipping and conversion costs.
What color?

OP
OP
S

starcity

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Graphite with Silver Stripes, approx. 24k U.S. miles. Stock ACR with comfort group option (A/C and stock Alpine radio). 2nd owner.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is a 2000 GTS ACR.

Warfang, what does the carfax show on your car? Do you have your vin # so I can see it for myself.

I know there are registered guys out there that provide documentation after the conversion to avoid any odometer rollback type incidents.

Just want to be on the safe side. Thanks for your feedback.

Chris

I believe on my carfax it lists odometer irregularities or something like that... which most likely came from converting km to mi. I got it to drive around, and eventually track... not for collecting, so it didn't bother me much. The Vipertech pronounced it clean, emissions and all... which was good enough for me.

I remember reading somewhere that all Gen2's were out of the factory CA emissions-legal, whether they ended up in CA or not.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a Canadian ACR the emissions are all the same the only diff is the day-time running lights and gauges.Mine had speedo changed and fuel gauge changed the rest is still centigrade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery