Any problems with the Tremec 6060 tranny on the Gen4's?

CarGo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's common knowledge over on the Z06 Forum that the 6060 can be very notchy, especially when cold and some even when warmed up. Many feel it's a flaw in the tranny. It is my only real complaint on my 2008 Z06 and I'd be unhappy to have the same problems if I go with a Gen 4 Viper.
Anyone having any shifting issues with their Gen 4's ?

Also, are the Gen 3's OK as far as reasonably smooth shifting is concerned?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my '09, the tranny shifts a lot nicer than on my '97 - but it definitely seems to have a few little quirks that I am getting used to. When shifting on the '09, it almost feels like the gears aren't perfectly synchronized. Right before going into gear, there's a slight feeling like the gear teeth are 'skipping' over each other as the gears engage. It's not a grinding - but it's not 'notchy' either. Basically, right before it goes into gear, I can feel a slight "bump-bump" on the shifter. With the way the clutch on my '09 works, my initial thought was that I have an air bubble in the clutch line and the clutch isn't engaging/disengaging correctly - it seems like the clutch engages/disengages all the way at the end of the pedal travel which just doesn't feel quite 'right' to me. From what I've heard, that's just the nature of the beast on these. I'm going to drive it like it is for a while and see if things get better with a few miles - and then I'm going to bleed out the system to see if that helps.

Compared to the tranny on the '97, this one shifts really nice - although I kind of do like the way the '97 feels.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had one in my car ( a modified Gen III coupe) since January 2008. I use the MGW/Woodhouse shift mechanism. I drive it at least three days a week for some amount of time and I have tracked it at Homestead Speedway. I think that the Gen IV transmission is a far superior piece to the stock Gen III and Gen II transmissions. It is much more robust. ( I used to have a modified 1999 GTS.) However, it is even more of a racing transmission and as such has a bit more NGR and other noises than a stock Gen III transmission. This is normal.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 08 was notchy cold- but nice when warm- after 3k miles it is never notchy amymore

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TR6060 is a FANTASTIC transmission. It is far better than the T56 in my GEN II. Much smoother. :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If I recall, now don't quote me as this was something I seem to remember reading, but the 6060 used in the Vette's had poor cold performance primarily because it uses a different gear oil than the 6060 used in other applications, which in the Viper is actually ATF+4. I believe this was due to the fact that it is a Transaxle, not just a transmission in those applications.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CarGo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall, now don't quote me as this was something I seem to remember reading, but the 6060 used in the Vette's had poor cold performance primarily because it uses a different gear oil than the 6060 used in other applications, which in the Viper is actually ATF+4. I believe this was due to the fact that it is a Transaxle, not just a transmission in those applications.

Yes, since I am interested in a Gen4 I was hoping the tranny problems reported with the Corvette was due to the Vette's completely different application requirements. I know also some tried lube changes with mixed results. Word is that GM is ducking the issue in a lot of cases.
I see a few responders here are observing a little notchiness in their Vipers also though. The gent here who described it as though the syncros weren't quite working right pretty much sums up my problem with the Vette, I'm babying the tranny and double clutching the first ten minutes of operation from cold but I think it's slowly getting worse over time. I'm getting close to 7K miles on the odometer.
Thanks for the responses,
DanB

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on my 08 second gear is very notchy when cold, otherwise the car is a wet dream

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the 6060 a triple cone 1 and 2 gear? If each synchro has teeth, that would explain the bump-bump-bump as they line up to be engaged.

The saving grace is that you should be able to bump-bump-bump quicker than bump-bump since the triple cone design comes to the same speed quicker.

Otherwise, once again, the fluid is important since it delivers not only the lubrication to prevent wear, but the frictional properties that govern engagement. You need "some" friction to get the cones to stop sliding and come to the same speed. A thicker fluid or one with the wrong friction modifiers will make it take longer... which is why they shift harder (takes longer or takes more pressure) when cold.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 has been out many times in cold temps around 30-40 F (be very carefull),and once in sub-zero (dont ever try this)and the tranny has always been fine, nothing special to report.