Any tips for visiting LA in October?

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll be visiting the West Coast in October with my family and was wondering if you can give me some tips for the 5 days we spend in LA (Santa Monica)?

Here's what's on our to-see list so far:

- Universal Studios
- Walk of Fame incl. Chinese Theater etc.
- Hollywood Sign, Mulholland Drive
- Beverly Hills, Malibu, Santa Barbara

Any further ideas and insider tips are very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Holger

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a gun?

............and if you are renting a car, get the insurance that they offer with it.
That way if you are a victim of road rage (and end up with a broken windshield or a footprint on the driver's door), you won't have to pay for the damages.

Also, keep the family members close together at all times. (nobody walking around to look at things by themselves)
-You don't want one of them to end up in Mexico against their will.

......other than that, you'll have a great time.
enjoy the trip.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Santa Monica's a great place, you can easily spend a whole day walking around there, the Santa Monica Pier is fun at night. Head down to Long Beach, tour the downtown, see the aquarium, take the tour of the Queen Mary, take a 2-3 hour boat ride along the coast. Visit the Getty museum, not far from Santa Monica. Weather will be great, Mike

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Too bad that I won't be there on a Saturday for the Irvine Cars and Coffee...would have enjoyed that quite a bit, I guess...

How about swimming in the ocean around mids of October, is that still ok?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have a gun?

............and if you are renting a car, get the insurance that they offer with it.
That way if you are a victim of road rage (and end up with a broken windshield or a footprint on the driver's door), you won't have to pay for the damages.

Also, keep the family members close together at all times. (nobody walking around to look at things by themselves)

enjoy the trip.

Please tell me this is a joke and you don't actually believe this.

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Too bad that I won't be there on a Saturday for the Irvine Cars and Coffee...would have enjoyed that quite a bit, I guess...
How about swimming in the ocean around mids of October, is that still ok?
Yes, that would be fine. But you sure will be missing out on the Cars & Coffee in Irvine. Since you're from Germany and coming down in October, we like you to feel at home at our Oktoberfest at Alpine Village in Torrance (Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights) >>>http://www.alpinevillagecenter.com/oktoberfest/ and if you're into warships, we have the USS Iowa battleship in San Pedro >>>http://www.pacificbattleship.com/ . Don't forget Disneyland and Magic Mountain for the theme parks and rides.

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
@Warren: thanks and can you believe, I have never been to the original Octoberfest in Munich! Nice idea to visit yours on a Sunday (we'll fly into LAX on Saturday afternoon)
@Allen: actually, I took your comments as a special kind of humor. It goes without saying, that in all bigger cities you'll find areas you should avoid going to.
@Jim: in our family it's probably me who's the space enthusiast but my sons would also enjoy seeing a real space shuttle in person

One more thing: Can you recommend an SRT Dealership in LA where they have a GenV on Display? I haven't seen one in person but would love to do so ;-)

Thanks to all for your valuable tips!!!!

Holger

Last edited:

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To find a dealer to see if they have the new Viper in their showroom, go to http://www.autotrader.com search the make = "SRT" within zip code = "90045" (here I used LAX airport) and make = "Viper". You may want to enter 25 miles or farther for your search criteria instead of the default of 10 miles to come up with more results. For other exotic dealerships, I recommend http://www.theautogallery.com and click on "locations" to see where the various exotic brands are located. Have fun!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holger. Glenn Thomas Dodge is right off the 405 freeway in Signal Hill (Near Long Beach airport) 30 minutes from Santa Monica, with light traffic. They support the SoCal club and had 4 in stock today. As for swimming in the water in mid- October, I'll be surfing in a full wet suit, water temp will be about 60 F

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holger. Glenn Thomas Dodge is right off the 405 freeway in Signal Hill (Near Long Beach airport) 30 minutes from Santa Monica, with light traffic. They support the SoCal club and had 4 in stock today. As for swimming in the water in mid- October, I'll be surfing in a full wet suit, water temp will be about 60 F

Thanks! Just checked their website, very nice! So please, don't by them before I went there :)

gtssnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drive to San Diego only 2 hours from LA and go to Coranado island and go tithe beach and also visit hotel del Coranado. Of course he San Diego zoo and sea world too is fun.
Nicest weather in he U.S.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The water should be 16 to 18 degrees Centigrade around then. Cool, but bearable. Shrinkage.

MoreBeer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Holger:

Very funny, one of my colleagues here in Germany just got back from the west coast for his summer holiday. They were out for 3 weeks and did LA, Hermosa, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, SF, Vegas, and some other nice stops. Please let me know if you would like to talk to him for a "fresh German" perspective :)

-mb

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a gun?

enjoy the trip.

Lol , my thoughts are the same. Just want to add Google L.A. gangs colors and try not to wear them. Otherwise have splendid time.:2tu:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally forgot about the gang activity.
I was only thinking about the regular people on the streets and such.

The drug trafficking may be an issue as well.

Maybe,.....carry two wallets. -your real one concealed in your sock or somewhere inconspicuous like that. And a decoy wallet with nothing in it of any real value, maybe just a few bucks to appease the mugger.

Oh, and only drink bottled water.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally forgot about the gang activity.
I was only thinking about the regular people on the streets and such.

The drug trafficking may be an issue as well.

Maybe,.....carry two wallets. -your real one concealed in your sock or somewhere inconspicuous like that. And a decoy wallet with nothing in it of any real value, maybe just a few bucks to appease the mugger.

Oh, and only drink bottled water.

Lol....come one L.A. is dream city, to visit. Oh forgot since it's in a valley bring gas masks for the whole family just in case when pollution level goes above the red line.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Holger,
Another really cool Dealership that I would visit is Motor Village L.A.. They are right in the heart of downtown LA.
They have a dedicated showroom for the SRT products that is incredible and almost a tourist attraction in itself.
If interested, shoot me a pm and I will set you up with a special tour.

Lance

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haven't checked my thread for some time and was surprised now that still some tips come in, thanks a lot :2tu:

I feel the exitement slowly coming up as it's only 4 weeks until we lift off.

Just for your info, we will spend 5 nights in L.A., commute to the Grand Canyon Village for 3 more nights in one of the lodges and will then move on to Las Vegas for another 5 nights before we are going back to Germany.

@Lance: Motor Village looks great, I need to work on my itinerary to squeeze that in :)

@MoreBeer: where in Germany are you?

@EllowViper: good to know, that gives me the chance to practise my Spanish again. I once spoke it quite well but haven't had many opportunities to speak lately :(

Cheers,

Holger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32