Anybody using 3 way component speakers up front? Subs in stock rear?

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If so, where are u installing the 4" speakers. The 6's will fit in the stock location with some work, but was wondering if you had cut holes, or what??? Also, anyone running 6" subs in the stock rear locations? If so, what brand, how do they sound?

thanks,
chan

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres room in the door panels next to the stock speaker hole to mount cut a 4 inch hole and mount a midrange. You'll want to reinforce the door panel with fiberglass though.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the JL Audio componets up front and the 6" subs in the back. Sound great and looks really nice as well. You still have to turn it up when on the highway with the top out. It might depend on what kinda head unit you go with as well. Dave

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Panasonic components in the doors and it sounds great. No extra cutting or drilling. The tweeters are a little too bright because they are ribbon tweeters and point directly at you. Seldom do you get that much SPL in high frequencies in a car. As far as the subs a 61/2" in the back will not give you much punch. It's like trying to make big HP from a 2 cylinder. It's just not possible. To get the same frequency range and SPL from a 6 1/2" versus a good subwoofer 8" or larger you would have to get one that strokes 2 inches and there's no such thing.

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so are the compenent sets with a 6.5" and a 4" up front? if so, that's my concern, where will I mount the 4" without really cutting too much. the subs in the rear, what brands and/or model #'s?

thanks,
chan

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chan,
Just an FYI, I recently took my car to the dealership to address misaligned door. They had to replace the driver door panel - where carpet is. Their cost was supposedly over $1500 just for this piece. Please be careful about cutting additional holes. I doubt that you will see a tremendous difference by adding another 4" in the front. I say go with a really good 6 or 6.5" components and decent rear fill and a sub.

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about adding to the door and making it come out a bit to add the 4". I know the Focal 6.5" will be great, but trying the get the most from the front end.

thanks,
chan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456