Anyone have a hitch on their Viper?

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tell ya, you jus can't take the truck outta some people!

I think the towing warnings for this car has to do with the suspension, not the drivetrain. The drivetrain obviously is strong enough to pull an Airstream but a Viper pulling trailers does look funny. What will you do if you damage the Viper in the race to where it's not good to drive it back even if you could still drive it? Look into renting a pickup/trailer for the day/weekend.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tell ya, you jus can't take the truck outta some people!

I think the towing warnings for this car has to do with the suspension, not the drivetrain. The drivetrain obviously is strong enough to pull an Airstream but a Viper pulling trailers does look funny. What will you do if you damage the Viper in the race to where it's not good to drive it back even if you could still drive it? Look into renting a pickup/trailer for the day/weekend.

That is always a consideration. But yes I guess we'd have to rent a pickup or SUV with a hitch to tow the trailer back while the Viper was getting flatbedded somewhere. Hopefully we could get the Viper fixed and continue.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend tows a small trailer with his slicks and a big tool box with his Lotus Elise! I think the viper will do just fine! :D Althogh i would NEVER do it.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend tows a small trailer with his slicks and a big tool box with his Lotus Elise! I think the viper will do just fine! :D Althogh i would NEVER do it.

Honestly you hardly even notice the trailer is there. The Viper has no problem pulling it at all. In fact I remember reading somewhere that the Viper holds the land speed record for towing a motor home, something like 140+ and that was in a stock Gen 2. If memory serves it was done in the UK.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly you hardly even notice the trailer is there. The Viper has no problem pulling it at all. In fact I remember reading somewhere that the Viper holds the land speed record for towing a motor home, something like 140+ and that was in a stock Gen 2. If memory serves it was done in the UK.
I agree the Viper can pull it no problem. I sure as hell would like to see a Viper towing a motorhome at 140mph though!:rolaugh:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Caravan (British for camper) towing world record is held by a Dodge Viper. Below is the Press release after the record was achieved.

The awesome power of a Chrysler Viper sports car has been used to pull a caravan to a new world speed record.
The 8000cc V-10 engined two seater Viper, towing a standard Abbey Iona caravan, was driven to a maximum speed of 127.8 mph on the main runway at RAF Alconbury in Cambridgeshire.
Driven by motoring journalist Mark Walton, the Viper and caravan combination narrowly passed the previous record of 126.76 mph, which was set by Charlie Kovacs behind the wheel of a Ford Falcon at Mangalore Airfield in Victoria, Australia in 1991. Details of the record attempt are published today in the November issue of Car magazine and have been passed to the Guinness Book of Records for confirmation.
Every ounce of the standard Viper s power was needed to reach the record speed. When driven unhitched, the 415 brake horse power car is capable of more than 170 mph, but the aerodynamic resistance of a caravan towed in this way means any slight increment in speed is hard earned.
After breaking the record, Mark said: "I knew the Viper would be up to the job and that s why I decided to use it for this attempt."

There were three main hurdles for him to overcome. "First, there were a number of sheep, rabbits and seagulls which we had to clear from the disused runway before starting our runs. But more seriously, we had to contend with the tremendous drag from the caravan and the potentially unpredictable nature of the combination at such extreme speeds," he said.
"The caravan was remarkably stable however and it was only reaching the end of the runaway which prevented us from going even faster," he added.
The rules for the record attempt state that the caravan should be in standard form and so the 9,000 Abbey Iona unit, supplied by Swift Caravans of Cottingham, near Hull, hurtled down the runway complete with comfy cushions, cooker, shower and even the kitchen sink aboard.
It was RDF Eurobars of Peterborough who rose to the challenge of making a towbar to fit the Viper. RDF supply towbars for Chrysler and Jeep vehicles in the UK but it was the first time anyone had asked the company for a 170 mph supercar to have one fitted!
"We may not be able to win the Ashes but it was particularly sweet to ****** this record back from the Aussies," joked a delighted Richard Mackay, Managing Director of Chrysler Jeep Imports UK. "Seriously though, it took an exceptionally powerful motor car, a highly stable caravan and a driver with nerves of steel to travel faster than the previous record."

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is probably the only reason I would ever put a hitch on my Viper...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456