Anyone have a stock hood pad?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paid under $150 for brand new one at dealer a couple of weeks ago. With all the fasteners that hold it on and tax it was about $200.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy a new one and paint it. Awesome mod for under $200 :2tu:

10215Sneaky_Peat-med.jpg

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the best way to mask the pad off for painting so you get crisp, sharp lines? I've seen them done with a zillion pieces of masking tape but it seems like there must be a better way :confused:

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the best way to mask the pad off for painting so you get crisp, sharp lines? I've seen them done with a zillion pieces of masking tape but it seems like there must be a better way_______________________Where did you get it and what paint did you use?___________________

You need to use a "Zillion" pieces of tape lol. Get a couple sizes, the smaller the tape the easier it is to turn a corner and the larger for coverage (Iused blue painters tape), then tape paper down to cover the rest of your mat

Got mine from Dodge

I used a high-temp silver and a Vinyl and fabric paint for the red (like the color the best) and cleared with a high-temp. If you want to stay on the safe side use high-temp for everything clearing isn't necessary "Wanted" recommended it over the vinyl and fabric paint. The pic you see isn't cleared and looks even better in person. Just take your time have some fun and it will look AWESOME :2tu:

10215During_2-med.jpg

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're looking for a painted hood pad, check with R and J Distributing. The guy Rob (I believe is his name) posts here as Bluevenom (I think).

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a used one as well. It's my original one. The problem for you would be shipping. You are better off going with a new one. Once you see the size of the box these come in you'll know what I'm talking about. I bought mine for $109 and if you have a good relationship with your local Dodge dealer they should sell one to you for close to that amount. If not shop around. It is part number #5245781.

I bought a new one to do the logo paint as well

Here is a pic of mine.

1813DSC03524-med.JPG

Here is the paint I used. You can get this paint at Home Depot. It's not that glossy(semi gloss). It matches the Viper colors pretty close. It's been a year now and it still looks like new.

1813DSC03525-med.JPG

I thought long and hard before I did mine. It's one of those things you either love it or hate it. I thought it was a little to Bling Bling at first. After doing mine I do like it but let me say that it is not that easy to do. The following post(link)is the one I followed. It's very good and detailed.

Instructions on painting the hood pad

I do get alot of comments on it. I just know if I get tired of it I'll put my old one back in.

Hope that helped

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the best way to mask the pad off for painting so you get crisp, sharp lines? I've seen them done with a zillion pieces of masking tape but it seems like there must be a better way :confused:

That's the biggest and hardest part. I used Fine line(brand)tape and a exacto knife. Most body shop supply stores carry good tape. Not the cheap like stuff you get from your local hardware store. You have to do the entire logo in a base color first then go over it with your other colors. That way you have something for the tape to stick to. It takes alot of coats to get that base color down. The pad is very porous and absorbs it for a long time before it covers it with color. I did mine in white first then the blue and red. My lines are very crisp. No bleeding of paint. Like I said in my prior post. It's not as easy as it looks.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
her email and contact info are on her site.

she does awsome work-if you have a 'theme', she can recreate it! takes her about a wk per hood liner and she has them in stock