Anyone have pre- and post-"Bog" TSB fix Dynos?

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have pre- and post-\"Bog\" TSB fix Dynos?

I just got mine flashed today, along with the "check ball" recall and haven't really had a chance to get on it with any authority, but I didn't experience any noticeable "seat of the pants" difference in power. That seems to be different from the experience of most who have posted here. I remember someone posted here that they were going to have this done, but a quick search didn't yield any results.

Been great Viper weather here in Dallas this week!

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Anyone have pre- and post-

I got mine done last week. Driving home I notice that when I grabbed second the car seemed scream with more authority. I hope to do more 'testing' today! On the check ball, did yours come out ok or did they have to tear down the car?

dave

acarr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dave -
did you have heritage also do the inspect for the check ball recall? if so, how long did that take?

btw....will be out today also!!

allen

OP
OP
T

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I left the car with the dealership (Dallas Dodge) and the work order showed that they replaced the steering unit. I can't remember off the top of my head what the recall service options were. Looking at the time stamps on the work order, it took them about 2 hours to do the check ball work. The "bog" flash took about 30 minutes.

LOVE the inside of your garage door!!

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Allen, missed your post..sorry, it takes a couple of hours to check the ball recall. If needed, most of the front end comes off. I'll check in with you next week. I couldn't get an email to you, please send new email address to [email protected].
dave

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the "BOG" fix done on my 2003. I did not even think I had the problem until I got it fixed. The car is much stronger in second gear. I don't think that this would show up on the dyno though. When you dyno the car it is in 4th (1 to 1 ratio) so I don't think a bog in second would really effect it.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As with any dyno results (see K&N thread), they can vary widely from day-to-day. It might be tough to get a dyno done, then the TSB work performed, and then back to the dyno. Not impossible, just a little extra work. I had the bog TSB done and the car seemed more responsive. Did it seem more powerful? Not necessarily. According to the dyno, my car in completely stock form went DOWN in horsepower from the original 453 RWHP to 445 RWHP. Now this was with over a year in between, 5000+ miles, and different weather, temperature, etc. Yes, we all know that it adjusts for the latter (SAE corrected), but I still think there will be variations. Bottom line: I would be surprised if there was much difference in horsepower, although the throttle response is greatly improved.

As to the cooling fan module, it takes about 2 hours to get done. If the check ball is still in place, then no more work is required other than replacement of that module. If the ball is missing, THEN you need to replace pretty much every power steering component, including the steering rack, etc. I am told that takes closer to 8-10 hours if required. Our local dealer has now done at least four of these recalls and has yet to find a missing check ball. I meant to take a picture of the open module and what the check ball looks like, but didn't do it. If anybody is interested, I can see if they still have it.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hello;

My 03' feels more responsive (instant throttle response) after the flashes.

I agree that the sensation is not that the Viper has more power, but that the power is more instantly delivered and smoother in that delivery. I really like whatever the flash did. A bonus is that there is less of the "jerkiness" during cruising at a near constant speed. This is not to be confused with the parking lot driveline "bucking" we all know and love (the price we pay for mucho instant torque?).

I still think PVO could do something to reduce the "buckin' and clunk'n". My only cure for that after owning three Vipers is feathering the clutch.

Sorry I got off-topic for a moment, but we are on the subject of "driveability" improvement. It is AMAZING to me what effects the computer module can have on the engine!

Jim