Anyone have this problem? Pics!

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fort Lauderdale, FL (Winter) Saugatuck, MI (Summer
Wondering if anyone else has this problem with their SRT10. Right in front of the rear tires I got two “white” spots on both sides, at first I thought it might be tire stuff but I don’t use any tire stuff. Went to the dealership and they think it is being discolored from the exhaust heat. So they ordered two new rear wheel wells and are putting them in Wednesday, my car is a 2005 and has 5400 miles on it. I guess Dodge will be replacing every 5000 miles on mine. Also came across the second picture on the RT/10 board and seems this red SRT 10 has the same problem.
5552DSC00281-med.JPG

5552DSCN0487-med.jpg

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't even think of it as a problem.

I don't really care what the inside of my wheel wells looks like.

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exhaust seems to be the only logical explanation. Now as far as solutions.....I dunno. Ordering new wheel wells could work but would get kinda costly. Heat resistant black spraypaint? that could work. But again I dont own a viper so My answer isnt as good as others :)

OP
OP
V

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was not the reason for my post – I drive both of my vipers as much as possible. My post was to see if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone had any thoughts to why this is happening. And given that you don’t have a SRT 10 you would not know the reason.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
wheel cleaner will do that to the wheel wells Armor-all or tire shine as posted above will turn it black. (best to wipe it with a rag and let it sit though... or else all kinds of crap will stick to the wells.)

OP
OP
V

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply; I don’t put stuff on the tires. And when I go to the car wash I tell them not to put tire stuff on (perhaps they have) but now I know what will happen - so after new ones go on I will make sure they don’t put any tire stuff on. The white spot really stands out and irritates me - thanks again

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich,

Final GTS is totally correct. I have never had any [problem with mine. I would try cleaning theem with lighter fluid which is what we use when installing lettering and badges. It will not hurt the plastic. JUST DON'T LIGHT UP!

PS: Again Dan, I am sorry.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine are turning white in that spot but I figured it was from cleaning them so often. I wash inside all the wheel wells about every 100 miles. The whiteness doesn't bother me as long as it's clean.

You must be registered for see images attach

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another thing you can use is "Mother's Back to Black". Its specificaly designed for black plastic/rubber trims. It comes in a little plastic red bottle. You can get it at pepboys and etc.

Works very well...makes all the black plastic parts look showroom new (doesn't make them shiny either, unlike tire products).

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem.I bought my 04 with 1200 miles.I thought maybe someone used a harsh cleaner but I guess not.I use mothers back to black to darken it only when I wax the car which is seldom. :eek:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Griots makes some good rubber cleaner and treatement as well.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmm...............since this is not a common problem and I have not witnessed any of this happening to SRT's that I have seen including my own. I suspect it could be defective wheel wells . No reason why it should be discoloring like that whether its from the exhaust or not is irrelevant.

Patrick

WildWing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is a valid concern. I didn't pay 80K to drive a ****** looking car.

I asked my dealer about it and they didn't replace mine.

BT

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would bother me too. I wonder if it could be tire gel that was either put on the wheel well, or sprayed on by the tire. and the exhaust cooked it.

If the dealer won't replace it, I'd have it painted.

I'm a few days out from SRT/10 ownership, but I'll be looking out for that.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DON'T use Armor All(or any other petroleum based product) on anything that is not a wear/replace item like tires. It's a petroleum product it will degrade and discolor just about anything you put it on. If you must, use it on tires only they are usually replaced every couple or few years.

DO NOT use it on anything fixed to the car or that will not be replaced soon.

for example these are big no-nos

weather strip
dash and interior including leather
body mouldings

Tires ONLY IF YOU MUST USE THIS KIND OF PRODUCT(any petrol based product)

over time it will turn black- tires/weather strip/ body mouldings windshield surronds and most other stuff a yellow/gray.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine using any kind of dressing inside the wheel well since most are just dust magnets.

I'm pretty anal but despite that, the whiteness really doesn't bother me. The last thing I would want is some kid at the dealership tearing apart the wheel well. There's no telling what kind of damage he'll do.

OP
OP
V

Vipper Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine using any kind of dressing inside the wheel well since most are just dust magnets.

I'm pretty anal but despite that, the whiteness really doesn't bother me. The last thing I would want is some kid at the dealership tearing apart the wheel well. There's no telling what kind of damage he'll do.

Well, I am not sure if you have a “kid” at your dealership but I happen to know the Viper mechanic (Mike) and he has always worked on my cars when they have been here in Florida and the other day when I made the appointment he said he would be doing the work – thanks for your concerns but I trust Mike with my cars.

Rich

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop putting bleach on your tires for smoke shows.... JK... I have the same issue... I got rid of it by using lacquor thinner (DONT get that on paint!), then I hit it with a plastic cleaner and then finally a bumper restorer product and never had to do it since.... Good luck.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you are having that problem. I also have a yellow 05 viper with 4,400 miles and live close to Ft. Lauaderdale. Anyway, i was just washing my car 2 days ago and i clean the wheel wells often. Even after i cleaned mine, the insides were VERY shiny, almost like you did spray it with tire shine, although when you touch it, it is not greasy, it seemed to just be a shiny piece of plastic. I was saying to myself it is really nice the way they finished it, but i definitly do not have what happened to yours.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well, I am not sure if you have a “kid” at your dealership but I happen to know the Viper mechanic (Mike) and he has always worked on my cars when they have been here in Florida and the other day when I made the appointment he said he would be doing the work – thanks for your concerns but I trust Mike with my cars.

Rich

Yep - sounds good if you’re able to get the top Viper tech on it from start to finish.

I would change mine if I could just snap my fingers and make it happen. My problem is I don’t want to drive 50 miles each way to the dealer, have some guy with huge black-soled boots getting in and out of my car, have the wheels pulled off with an impact wrench, and then have the fender wells torn apart and put back together. With all that stuff going on, I’m bound to end up with something more messed up then it is right now. I’d rather just live with the white.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
29 outlaw That discribes the dealers around these parts too. Hell I have to drive 2 hours to get to Tators Dodge when I have 2 dealers within 3 miles who have no clue. When I called them about the 2003 headlight recall there was silence on the phone for 30 seconds.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrap your car in plastic and doent drive it..Turn it into a museum piece and dont run the enging and it will stay perfect! LMFAO

Are you making fun of me??? LOL!

I have seen that before. Not a big deal. I just take a rag to it and scrub like no other and then armoral it. Only problem is you have to throw out the towel afterwards and it really is not worth it. I know longer really do it because after one drive it is back to the same.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing you can use is "Mother's Back to Black". Its specificaly designed for black plastic/rubber trims. It comes in a little plastic red bottle. You can get it at pepboys and etc.

Works very well...makes all the black plastic parts look showroom new (doesn't make them shiny either, unlike tire products).

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna pick some up this weekend