Anyone interested in a brand new Mopar/Borla exhaust?

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got one delivered from Chuck Tator, very nice piece, the etched Viper logos on the tips are especially cool. But part of me is considering going back to something like the B&B so I can mate up to 3" stuff in the future without having to modify (and likely destroy) this exhaust.

I paid $1169.10 plus shipping which was a good deal. I would do $1150 shipped to someone, which is an even better deal. It is brand new, not even fully out of the box even. I would like to keep it and stick it on the car if I ever go back to stock to have a driver, but the wife says no, I can only have one.

Just testing the water to see if folks might be interested before I argue with her some more...

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two styles of the Borla exhaust. The latest one added two more mufflers for less drone. Which one do you have?

My understanding is you can purchase new Borla exhausts for around $800 to $850. I have seen several on ebay for this price.

OP
OP
B

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me clarify...

This is the Mopar Performance Exhaust manufactured by Borla. It has the rolled tips with the etched Viper Logo's on them and the word Mopar stamped on the mufflers. Much nicer looking than the standard Borla exhaust ($800-$850 w/ chincy slash cut tips) that can occasionally be found on ebay. Retail on this exhaust is almost $1300. They are available through your local Dodge dealer and a few select Mopar dealers online. There are only about 50 or so in stock in the country and you can't get them on ebay.

This system only has one set of mufflers located in the side sills, and sounds much better than the four muffler systems. (all the two muffler systems do, ask anyone that owns a two muffler Borla or a B&B) They weigh less too.

And finally, having tried most all the exhaust systems, there is no such thing as drone... I've never heard it nor could I tell you what it is. For all I know it's a catch phrase that someone made up for people that can't handle the sound of an awakened V10. Besides nothing is worse than the sound of a bone stock Viper exhaust, so any aftermarket system is heading in the right direction.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And finally, having tried most all the exhaust systems, there is no such thing as drone... I've never heard it nor could I tell you what it is. For all I know it's a catch phrase that someone made up for people that can't handle the sound of an awakened V10. Besides nothing is worse than the sound of a bone stock Viper exhaust, so any aftermarket system is heading in the right direction.

FINALLY, someone else who had the same experience as me. I've had RT10's and GTS', with Borlas, Corsas, and muffler deletes. With and without cats.

I could never hear the drone. Or, maybe it's not loud enough to be a big deal?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me clarify...

This is the Mopar Performance Exhaust manufactured by Borla. It has the rolled tips with the etched Viper Logo's on them and the word Mopar stamped on the mufflers. Much nicer looking than the standard Borla exhaust ($800-$850 w/ chincy slash cut tips) that can occasionally be found on ebay. Retail on this exhaust is almost $1300. They are available through your local Dodge dealer and a few select Mopar dealers online. There are only about 50 or so in stock in the country and you can't get them on ebay.

This system only has one set of mufflers located in the side sills, and sounds much better than the four muffler systems. (all the two muffler systems do, ask anyone that owns a two muffler Borla or a B&B) They weigh less too.

I had the old Mopar Borla system on my first Viper and loved the sound. I now have the new four muffler system and even though I removed the two rear mufflers it still doesn't sound nearly as good as the old system. The new Borla has a raspy sound that I don't much care for. :usa:

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My RT had the old Borla system on it when I got it - I absolutely love it! As far as drone, c'mon, it's V10 racing engine - what's it supposed to sound like? Honestly, I've never noticed any problem with any resonance at any particular frequency being bothersome, if it were, I'd just adjust RPM accordingly.

Only thing my Viper Tech said was the Borla system I have is a pain to put in and take out...

Wish I had your fancy tips! :)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a word about drone.

I have a friend with a C4 Vette coupe.
He has some kind of aftermarket exhaust.

The drone in his car is real and it is overpowering. If it was my car, I couldn't live with it.

My RT exhaust sound's like World War II and I like it that way, so I'm not against the sound of power. My car doesn't drone.

It's a fact, drone can be unbearable.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had drone with both Borla systems, but it is in a very narrow rpm range and can easily be shifted out of. However, it can come in handy if you don't want to listen to your passenger. :usa:

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 3" Mopar exhaust on my 2001 GTS and I think it drones excessively when cruising. From 1300-1700RPM and 2000RPM to 2500 RPM it generates a really unpleasant sound. I had an 82 vette with no mufflers which droned a bit, but not like this.

It sounds great at idle, accelerating and the popping sounds when decelerating. I actually had the system modified by mufflex to reduce the sound level and drone.
They built a rear fixture using spintech mufflers.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the decision making points that led me to B&B was the X pipe at the rear. Supposedly, cuts down drone. Not near as much of an issue with an RT, especially with the top off and windows down/out. I wanted more of a deep sound vs. raspy. I'm very happy with it.