Anyone know anything about a DYNAMICS DYNO?

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
I just had my car on a Dymamics Dyno out of Australia. The operator stated that it's numbers are always 18% low. Which if I understand him correctly I should increase his numbers by 18% to get the correct numbers at the wheels. I am talking dyno loses not drive train loses.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best machines out there as they allow the operator to load the car in variable ways at variable rpms which it great for duplicating race lap & aerodynamic situations when tuning a race car. There is a shop about three miles from my house with an all-wheel-drive version and they have some description on their web-site:

Tuning

But yes they are not great for bragging as they read significantly lower than the popular interia dynos. My car does 440rwhp/500rwtq on that machine and would probably spin 30-40rwhp higher on a Dynojet.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those dynos are excellent for all of the reasons Phoenix pointed out. A&C Performance has one. In the hands of a competent tuner, there is no better choice for a dyno.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dyno Dynamics dyno I was on had a "Dynojet mode" that was very very close to Dynojet numbers. I confirmed this the next day by going to a Dynojet shop.

I made 483whp and 489whp (2 pulls) on the Dyno Dynamics and then on the same Dyno Dynamics dyno in Dynojet mode I made 525. The next day I made 523 on a Dynojet: My N/A dyno numbers.... - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum

On the tq, the Dyno Dynamics doesn't give a number on my sheet and the graph is wierd/hard to read....looks way to high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

newredrt10

Administrator
Reaction score
1Tony1--so the operator telling me that there is an 18 percent difference between their horse power indication and actual rear wheel horsepower is probably correct. Would you agree? Thanks!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1--so the operator telling me that there is an 18 percent difference between their horse power indication and actual rear wheel horsepower is probably correct. Would you agree? Thanks!

Not exactly.
A Dyno Dynamics dyno and a Dynojet give different numbers....which is closer to correct I don't know.
He probably said that because the "standard" seems to be a Dynojet. Why ? Because everyone wants higher numbers and that's what a Dynojet gives.

What my numbers tell, on my car, on these dynos, on these days :D Is that to convert Dyno Dynamics to Dynojet numbers figure 8% higher. I didn't exactly believe the numbers the Dyno Dynamics gave in the Dynojet mode, so thats why I went to the effort to drive quite a ways to see what the Dynojet said. That correction....recalculation might be a better word ... on the Dyno Dynamics may or may not be user adjustable. Meaning if it is user adjustable, my guy had it dialed in very well....others may not be as close.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suspect that the operator was telling you that 18% is normally the drivetrain loss and that if you add 18% to your rwhp/dyno numbers you'll get close to crankshaft hp or brake hp.

Tony said 8% difference in RWHP readings between different types of dynos.

Ted

OP
OP
N

newredrt10

Administrator
Reaction score
Ted -- I understand drive train loses but that is not what I was asking. It was the differance between Dyno's I now have two operators of Dyno Dynamics at differant companies that say about the same thing that the Dyno Dynamics indicates about 15-18% reading below true rwhp.

Tony -- did you say your numbers were convert Dyno Dynamics to Dynojet numbers, or was the Dyno Dynamics run as a Dynojet. The reason I ask this is that my runs were made in the Dyno Dynamics setup. This put a real load on the car and it made more boost than it ever had on the street or dyno. It was like I was pulling 12,000 lb trailer with my truck, long and slow. Arfter two pulls the operator then said he could run it like a dynojet. I passed on this because I had a question about the roe losing oil(talking to roe about it). If I had run I would have known if the numbers were close.

Bill

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made 483whp and 489whp (2 pulls) on the Dyno Dynamics in normal mode
then....
I made 525whp (2 pulls) on the Dyno Dynamics dyno with it in the Dynojet mode.
Then the next day I went to a Dynojetmade 523whp.

When the Dyno Dynamics operator gave me the Dynojet numbers....it still ran as a load dyno but the conversion was different.

How do the operators know they are 18% below true whp ? What machine gives true whp if theirs doesn't ?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Made 646 on a Dynojet and 553 on a Dyno Dynamics. That means the Dyno Dynamics read approximately 85.6% of what the Dynojet read. Another way of saying that is the Dyno Dynamics read 14.4% lower. To get an estimate of Dynoject readings divide the Dyno Dynamics numbers by 0.856. In my case 553/0.856 = 646.

Now of course everyone knows that the true value of a dyno is to measure the change (positive or negative) after modification.

OP
OP
N

newredrt10

Administrator
Reaction score
What machine gives true whp if theirs doesn't

Thats the question. I just wanted to know if thier numbers could be trusted. The info I got here and the people i talked to supported what I was told is true.

Thanks everyone! This is what this site is good for

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think this is *exactly* true. Because the Dyno Dynamics unit uses a rolling load, this is adjusted based on your vehicle's output to most accurately mimic road conditions. Let's just say a 400HP vehicle, say, would accelerate from 45 to 140 in 4th gear in 15 seconds. A 700HP car would do it in 10 seconds, so the operator makes a "ramp rate" change to make the pull take approximately that same length of time. This allows for more accurate readings but the operator needs to understand this and make the adjustment as necessary. If the ramp rate was left at the 400HP level, the vehicle would appear to make more power than it should. This is how I understand it; or at least how it was explained to me. So I don't think you can just "plug in" a multiplier for a DynoJet-to-Dyno Dynamics number.

Regarding the "odd" looking TQ readings, they may have had the scaling set incorrectly on the dyno sheet. If you HP graph looks good, TQ should as well (HP=((TQ*RPM)/5252))

Mike

Made 646 on a Dynojet and 553 on a Dyno Dynamics. That means the Dyno Dynamics read approximately 85.6% of what the Dynojet read. Another way of saying that is the Dyno Dynamics read 14.4% lower. To get an estimate of Dynoject readings divide the Dyno Dynamics numbers by 0.856. In my case 553/0.856 = 646.

Now of course everyone knows that the true value of a dyno is to measure the change (positive or negative) after modification.

OP
OP
N

newredrt10

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike --- That is just how the operator explained and ran the dyno. I had never been on a load dyno before.

Bill

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just dynoed on a Dyno Dynamics as well. I also hear 18% is the average % to use to convert to a DynoJet.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just dynoed on a Dyno Dynamics as well. I also hear 18% is the average % to use to convert to a DynoJet.
It cannot be that easy. My car spun 440 RWHP on a Dyno Dynamics machine. 18% would take it to 519 rwhp. No way my bolt-on car would make over 500 rwhp on a Dynojet.

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It cannot be that easy. My car spun 440 RWHP on a Dyno Dynamics machine. 18% would take it to 519 rwhp. No way my bolt-on car would make over 500 rwhp on a Dynojet.

I just dynoed 438. I tried using a HP calculator based on weight and 1/4 trap speeds, and I said i should be around 498 HP. Not saying either is accurate, but the car aint slow so I dont care! :headbang:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dyno'd on a SuperFlow dyno which I've been told produces much lower numbers than a Mustang Dyno and a 20% drive line loss. On a Mustang dyno, I put down 479rwhp and 525rwtq. On the SuperFlow, I put down 440rwhp and 478 rwtq. I don't care for bench racing but am curious how my mods contribute, or detract, from power as well as my AFR. Stick with the same dyno if you plan on doing mods and want a baseline to measure from.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4