Anyone own/owned a GTR?

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are your thoughts compared to your Gen II? I know they are completely different cars, but still curious on what you think .:eater:

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are definitely very fast with little mods and very easy to drive. However, they are not a driver's car. Everyone can drive a GTR fast because of AWD, paddle shifters and launch control. No one gives the driver much respect because of that reason. Plus, they are very heavy and don't feel as nimble in the handling department compared to a Viper. I'll be looking to buy one for a daily driver in about a year. Put it this way, for a daily driver, I would get one, but for a weekend fun car, Viper all the way.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are definitely very fast with little mods and very easy to drive. However, they are not a driver's car. Everyone can drive a GTR fast because of AWD, paddle shifters and launch control. No one gives the driver much respect because of that reason. Plus, they are very heavy and don't feel as nimble in the handling department compared to a Viper. I'll be looking to buy one for a daily driver in about a year. Put it this way, for a daily driver, I would get one, but for a weekend fun car, Viper all the way.

I definitely agree. I was looking into one as well and everyone always tells me the same thing you mentioned. I definitely want to test drive one soon and see how I feel.

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Gen 4, sold it and bought a 2013 GTR. The GTR is an amazing car. It's great being able to destroy everyone, everywhere without breaking a sweat. With that said...it gets old pretty quick. It's like playing on an 8 foot hoop. Too easy. I bought it thinking that I would daily drive it, but then I ended up working from home and didn't really drive it that much. And then when I took it out "for a drive" it wasn't very fun. Fast, but not involving. Sold it a few months later. Another friend of mine (who has a 2009 ACR) used to have a 1000 hp GTR, which he said was "boring." He tried to warn me, but I didn;t listen. Wanted to see for myself. So, I wouldn't try to put anyone off of buying one because they are monsters....and if you're like me...and you just have to say that you had one...then go buy it. But what you hear about the GTR is true. It's not a drivers car....although I didn't really feel like the Viper was a drivers car either. They are both very serious cars. They definitely have that in common. Those are both beastly but in different ways.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a Gen 4, sold it and bought a 2013 GTR. The GTR is an amazing car. It's great being able to destroy everyone, everywhere without breaking a sweat. With that said...it gets old pretty quick. It's like playing on an 8 foot hoop. Too easy. I bought it thinking that I would daily drive it, but then I ended up working from home and didn't really drive it that much. And then when I took it out "for a drive" it wasn't very fun. Fast, but not involving. Sold it a few months later. Another friend of mine (who has a 2009 ACR) used to have a 1000 hp GTR, which he said was "boring." He tried to warn me, but I didn;t listen. Wanted to see for myself. So, I wouldn't try to put anyone off of buying one because they are monsters....and if you're like me...and you just have to say that you had one...then go buy it. But what you hear about the GTR is true. It's not a drivers car....although I didn't really feel like the Viper was a drivers car either. They are both very serious cars. They definitely have that in common. Those are both beastly but in different ways.

Why don't you feel that the vipers a "drivers" car? I think that is the first time I have ever heard that. I feel very much that it is.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't you feel that the vipers a "drivers" car? I think that is the first time I have ever heard that. I feel very much that it is.

I have to agree, the Viper is nothing if not a driver's car. I mean, talk about involvement.
If you are not seriously involved in what you're doing, at anything resembling high rate of speed, you will find yourself in BIG trouble. Plus, it's so much fun!

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few friends own them and test drove a few before I bought my Viper. First I'm an import guy so the GTR was my first test drive. My feelings were the car felt big and heavy and sedan like, and had no soul. And this is coming from a guy that wanted to stay import as I have a few real fast AWD's already. Then drove the Viper and bought it 5min after the test drive. Plus the fact of looks, and GTR's becoming more and more common and Viper being more of a rarity!

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very funny. I only say this because I actually was very close to trading my 99 ACR for a GTR. Allow me to explain.

First my background. I have only owned Import cars, all Toyota's. Before owning my Viper, I owned two Supra’s, both producing over 1,100whp. Loved those cars. Decided to leave the Supra’s and go for my first American big displacement car due to the fact I was sick of having to run race gas to make more than 600whp. Went with the Viper as I have always liked them.

I’ve owned my Viper for 2 years now. I have to say it is the most enjoyment I have ever received from driving a sports automobile. I know for a fact this is due to it being a driver’s car. No aids, no help, very little to no room for error. I like that challenge and it is very rewarding once you tame the Viper.

I decided to look in to the GTR. Took my car to a near by Nissan dealership, they offered me $45,000 on my Viper towards their GTR. I test drove the GTR. I kid you not, after 10 min of driving it, I made a U-Turn and took it back.

Like others have stated, the GTR does everything perfect, in my situation, too perfect. It doesn’t have the driver machine connection you get from a true manual transmission car. It has too many aids and even with all of them turned off, for me I just couldn’t get passed the paddle shifting and knew that I would eventually be driving the GTR in automatic.

Great car, just not for me. Now if you are one of those guys looking to street race Underground Racing Lambos and big power cars on the street and the Texas mile, the GTR is for you. However if you are looking for a driving enjoyment between man and machine, I would stay away from it. Go test drive one if you haven’t.

Last edited:

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very funny. I only say this because I actually was very close to trading my 99 ACR for a GTR. Allow me to explain.

First my background. Before owning my Viper, I owned two Supra’s, both producing over 1,100whp. Loved those cars. Decided to leave the Supra’s and go for my first American big displacement car due to the fact I was sick of having to run race gas to make more than 600whp. Went with the Viper as I have always liked them.

I’ve owned my Viper for 2 years now. I have to say it is the most enjoyment I have ever received from driving a sports automobile. I know for a fact this is due to it being a driver’s car. No aids, no help, very little to no room for error. I like that challenge and it is very rewarding once you tame the Viper.

I decided to look in to the GTR. Took my car to a near by Nissan dealership, they offered me $45,000 on my Viper towards their GTR. I test drove the GTR. I kid you not, after 10 min of driving it, I made a U-Turn and took it back.

Like others have stated, the GTR does everything perfect, in my situation, too perfect. It doesn’t have the driver machine connection you get from a true manual transmission car. It has too many aids and even with all of them turned off, for me I just couldn’t get passed the paddle shifting and knew that I would eventually be driving the GTR in automatic.

Great car, just not for me. Now if you are one of those guys looking to street race Underground Racing Lambos and big power cars on the street and the Texas mile, the GTR is for you. However if you are looking for a driving enjoyment between man and machine, I would stay away from it. Go test drive one if you haven’t.

Very well said!!!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the car and love the technology. I even think they look good.
But they really only do one thing well and that's launch faster than anything else on the road.
BUT if they ever somehow harness that technology and power and put it into a real race car looking style it would be a world ******.
Imagine it weighing in at 3300 or less instead of 3800 with AWD and 575 HP.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 3 of them, 2009, 2012, 2013, awesome cars.... very easy to drive very fast, 0-60 in 2.8 seconds and runs 10's in the 1/4 mile bone stock...

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another point to make my buddy complains now that he spent 60K on an AMS 950 package and broke axles etc last two times at the track he said he missed his Viper reliabilty!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I certaintly do not own one, but I can say from the 15min I had
behind the wheel that the datsun is possibly one of the least "driver"
high performance cars Ive ever driven. In fact, I think its safe to
say the single weakest component of a GTR IS the driver...

If I trusted the parking lot at work my Gen2 would be a daily,
its by far a more fun vehicle to drive...

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother has a full bolt on E85 2010 GTR. The car is a rocket to 130mph and there isn't much that can touch it below 100mph. That said, it does nothing for me. I don't find them particularly attractive and I don't care what anyone says, flappy paddle gearboxes are BORING. The car never threatens to swap ends, never loses traction, and literally requires nothing more than the push of your right foot and a few flicks of the paddles for anyone to be fast in it. There is no challenge, no beast to master. My car will spin the tires at 80mph, my traction control is my right foot, my stability control is my hands and right foot, and my DCT is my right hand and left foot. This is the experience I want from a car. Me controlling it and learning to master it. There is nothing to learn in the GTR.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother has a full bolt on E85 2010 GTR. The car is a rocket to 130mph and there isn't much that can touch it below 100mph. That said, it does nothing for me. I don't find them particularly attractive and I don't care what anyone says, flappy paddle gearboxes are BORING. The car never threatens to swap ends, never loses traction, and literally requires nothing more than the push of your right foot and a few flicks of the paddles for anyone to be fast in it. There is no challenge, no beast to master. My car will spin the tires at 80mph, my traction control is my right foot, my stability control is my hands and right foot, and my DCT is my right hand and left foot. This is the experience I want from a car. Me controlling it and learning to master it. There is nothing to learn in the GTR.

Well said. I concur.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTR is great.... BUT

Do some research on the parts and labor.... /bendover and take it. It makes the Viper look like an econobox. 15k for brakes. 20K plus for a new tranny. IMPORT CRAP. Worse than Porsche maintenance. Once you lose the warranty is /wave at your money. Cause its going bye bye.

I can think of a bunch of other cars I'd rather dump 70K+ on.

Oh.. and their F;in Ugly.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Test drove one today. It is an amazing machine. Definitely not the same driver feel as my viper, but man, the power and technology is pretty awesome....but its not a viper :)

Last edited:

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTR is great.... BUT

Do some research on the parts and labor.... /bendover and take it. It makes the Viper look like an econobox. 15k for brakes. 20K plus for a new tranny. IMPORT CRAP. Worse than Porsche maintenance. Once you lose the warranty is /wave at your money. Cause its going bye bye.

I can think of a bunch of other cars I'd rather dump 70K+ on.

Oh.. and their F;in Ugly.

I own a 2010. You can get brakes for less than half that easily. Tranny is expensive, but can also be had for half that price. If you go through the dealership for parts, you're going to get ****ed. Plain and simple. The replacement parts from vendors are cheaper and are often upgrades. It's not cheap, but not Italian-like either. You can purchase an extended warranty, like I did, and save any possible future headaches. With all the electronics on the car, I'd advise it. You can get a 60mo/60k complete coverage warranty for around $2240. If you want more years/miles, you can get that too. The famous transmission issues are primarily from the first year 2009 models. They are far more reliable after 2009.

These cars have very underrated handling, much like the Viper. Neither car is just a straight line dragster, contrary to popular belief.

Zee, I replied to your post already on the GTR forum. Again, these cars don't really have the exotic/muscle car feel.. If you're looking for just a weekend fun car, I'd keep the Viper or look for somewhere else. But their performance is as good as it gets.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a 2010. You can get brakes for less than half that easily. Tranny is expensive, but can also be had for half that price. If you go through the dealership for parts, you're going to get ****ed. Plain and simple. The replacement parts from vendors are cheaper and are often upgrades. It's not cheap, but not Italian-like either. You can purchase an extended warranty, like I did, and save any possible future headaches. With all the electronics on the car, I'd advise it. You can get a 60mo/60k complete coverage warranty for around $2240. If you want more years/miles, you can get that too. The famous transmission issues are primarily from the first year 2009 models. They are far more reliable after 2009.

These cars have very underrated handling, much like the Viper. Neither car is just a straight line dragster, contrary to popular belief.

Zee, I replied to your post already on the GTR forum. Again, these cars don't really have the exotic/muscle car feel.. If you're looking for just a weekend fun car, I'd keep the Viper or look for somewhere else. But their performance is as good as it gets.

Yeah, i test drove a few of them this past weekend, and yes I was impressed, but i could never give up my viper for one. To own both like you, now thats the way to do it!!:headbang: