Anyone Plasti Dip Racing Stripes?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do a lot of paint work to motorcycles, and on my track bike I used plasti dip for certain things and it looks fantastic. This got me to thinking about using it for racing stripes on a car to see what it looks like and if you like it before committing to painting them. The thing I like is that this stuff peels off when you are ready with no ill effects and is very durable when applied. Just wondered if anyone else has tried this to their Viper before committing to them. I don't really see a down side to it, but if I paint them on and don't like it as well as I think I will then I'm SOL plus wasted a bunch of money, thoughts?

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i would try it ..worst thing that can happen is that you peel it off

Yep that is what I'm thinking, my track bike has held up excellent and as long as it doesn't get scratched it looks new. If it ever does get messed up touch ups are easy, think I'm going to give it a shot soon, just curious if anyone else has done it.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do a lot of paint work to motorcycles, and on my track bike I used plasti dip for certain things and it looks fantastic. This got me to thinking about using it for racing stripes on a car to see what it looks like and if you like it before committing to painting them. The thing I like is that this stuff peels off when you are ready with no ill effects and is very durable when applied.

I hadn't heard of that idea. Seems like a good alternative to fooling with vinyl just to see if you like the look. I wonder how long it lasts, looking good. Do you ensure that the car is waxed before applying it, or do you strip the wax?

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no knowledge about plasti-dip. will it stick on top of clearcoat?

Yes it will, it will stick to anything that has been cleaned.

I hadn't heard of that idea. Seems like a good alternative to fooling with vinyl just to see if you like the look. I wonder how long it lasts, looking good. Do you ensure that the car is waxed before applying it, or do you strip the wax?

Should strip the wax with IPA or something.

The draw to this is I'm good with a paint gun, and plasi-dip is very forgiving, to the point where if you horribly screw it up you just peel it off. As far as longevity it lasts for years, longer if you occasionally spray wax it. The below picture is of my track bike that I completely restored and used plasti-dip over the fairings. I used Plasti-dip not because I could get it off if I want, but b/c I wanted a "frozen matte" look. The tank I painted in automotive paint (high gloss) and the red stripping is automotive enamel (also high gloss) over the dip and looks fantastic. I hit bugs going down the front straight at 140+ and it doesn't hurt the dip unless you let the acid from the guts sit over night, but even then you can just touch it up as the dip melts into the other layers. I'm thinking I'll give it a shot, btw I don't rattle can, I use a special formula that I thin myself and shoot from an auto spray gun, here is the bike I finished this spring, painting 8" stripes should be easy comparatively:

You must be registered for see images

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice! I will let someone use their Viper as a test dummy and then do some white stripes on mine. So are all plasti-dip colors matte? I don't know if white matte plasti-dip would look nice with shiny red paint

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very nice! I will let someone use their Viper as a test dummy and then do some white stripes on mine. So are all plasti-dip colors matte? I don't know if white matte plasti-dip would look nice with shiny red paint

Yes, all dip is matte, however they have a "glossifer" which acts similar to a clear coat that makes any dip shiny. I actually think the matte contrast would look really good, that is another reason I thought it was a great idea. I'll definitely be the guinea pig, nothing to fear with plasti-dip b/c it peels off cleanly like a wrap.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, it's some pretty cool stuff. Did my mom's 94 dash in plasti-dip to cover the old aging grey color that was starting to look a little green. Looks awesome as has held up for probably about a year now. Some of the edges are lifting just a tad, but I didn't removing the masking fast enough so it pulled some plasti-dip with it because it had dried. Did the wheels on my dad's 03 in black and it has held up very well. It takes a good day or two to set up stiffer, always seems a little soft initially.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure you can plasti dip your own wife and make her a blond or brunette.....Ok now, we need a dummy to do it to his viper.:crazy2:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sure you can plasti dip your own wife and make her a blond or brunette.....Ok now, we need a dummy to do it to his viper.:crazy2:

LOL, not sure what that means, however I will tell you that Plasti-Dip will look every bit as good as vinyl stripes if done correctly, and it is the only way I know of to do it to see if you like it that is cost effective and easy to remove with no ill effects. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave