Anyone seeing those Vipers/Comp Coupes in the Audi TV ad?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seen it a couple times now where an apparent race prepped Audi passenger car scoots out of the pack at the start of a road race and pulls away from everyone, including at least two Vipers.. Real or trick photgraphy? :)

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was at limerock over the summer and those audis. they both came in first and second place beating the viper compe coupe. i couldnt believe it.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich --

Those four wheel drive Audi's have been giving the Comp Coupes fits in the GT1 class. They perform particularly well on the shorter, tighter tracks. They out accelerate all the other cars from the standing start. Unfortunately the Comp Coupes have to carry a 450# weight penalty and are severely restricted on the width of the front tires they can use. :rolleyes:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The last LeMans race I saw had the Caddies out in front, corvettes behind, the Vipers third, and the Audi's lost somwhere in the crowd. On start both lead Audi's took to the dirt and got about a five-place jump by the first turn. It was the first time I ever saw a racecar run the grass to gain position on start-up - very impressive.

I remember there a White GTS taking a stroll into the tires that same race so I'm sure someone can direct you to the reruns.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Comp Coupes have to carry a 450# weight penalty and are severely restricted on the width of the front tires they can use. :rolleyes:
They used to run 400# at LeMans too. Those Vipers are fast but pay the price to level the playing field. So equality breeds inequality.