Anyone think DC will discontine the Viper soon?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlike Chuck, I am a poser but still a purist. I do not race on the track (yet). What appeals to me about the Viper is that the racing versions have to be given the biggest restrictor plates to make them equal to the other cars and they still win often. Not only the engine is a winner but so is the whole car. The lack of tech nannies and creature comforts makes it lighter and also more reliable and is a competitive advantage on the track and on the street. It may be raw but it's all business take no prisoners image was what attracted buyers to pay probably record dealer markups for the 1992 Vipers.

The reason the Viper has seen demand lower is because DC radically changed the styling and took Vipers out of factory backed racing venues like LeMans. The Competition Coupe is awesome and a version of it really should have been the Gen III. DC missed a huge opportuniy.

Just a thought after reading your post... what if the Z06 came without nannytech? Can you imagine it being EVEN lighter? It would be more awesome than it is now, without all the breakdowns. :D

Also, totally agree DC dropped the ball on the gen3's, but I suspect it was by design to save their German egos. :rolleyes:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Dropped the ball on the GenIII"? How is better handling, more cubes and horsepower, better brakes, better suspension, better interior, dropping the ball?

Looks are subjective. While I like the GTS, nothing compares to the GenIII convertible in my opinion.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a business point of view. GM sells some 52,000 vettes. DC, 2,000 some Vipers per year. GM could not sell that many Corvettes if they were as raw as the Viper.
I think we need to understand that in order for DC to justify the Viper, they’ll need to see the numbers increasing.

As beautiful and as raw as my GTS was, the SRT/10 is by far, a lot more enjoyable to drive.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I think we need to understand that in order for DC to justify the Viper, they’ll need to see the numbers increasing."

I think they understand at this point with the new competition, the only way to see the numbers increasing is more performance. It needs to be the clear leader in American Muscle again.

Keep in mind the current GenIII is all is 4 years old. Demand will always slide downward the longer a car is in the market place.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly Ford will stop production on the GT unless they are getting an exceptional return on investment. Even though the Viper is DC's "legacy" vehicle they still have to answer to the shareholders, the Board, the regulators and everything changes including upper management. IF the bottom line is profitable it will probably stay but all it takes is one costly legislation (active handling) or specific vehicle MPG requirements, or 6$/gallon gas, or a class action, or the insurance industry putting sky high coverage, or a mild recession.......

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a business point of view. GM sells some 52,000 vettes. DC, 2,000 some Vipers per year. GM could not sell that many Corvettes if they were as raw as the Viper.
I think we need to understand that in order for DC to justify the Viper, they’ll need to see the numbers increasing.

How does a manufacturer justify the millions spent on concepts? Or racing programs? or advertising? Or traveling around the world for industry car shows? They are all image dollars.

Looking at it that way it comes down to ROI - return on investment. Just like pulling a 1 million dollar commercial off the Superbowl, if the Viper doesn't provide adequate ROI then it will be terminated. Personally, I think the image is still as strong as ever. And by your own admission the SRT/10 is the best Viper to date.

Now bring that beast to Sebring this weekend. :D

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
418:

FYI the Ford GT last year is 2006 production:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/02/03/gt_over/

As for profit, I have no idea how much DC makes per copy after all the recent discounts. The problem is, I think a lot of buying power is being absorbed by vetter or porsche - frankly the 2 other sports car companies.

And to develop a comparable sports car, you MUST race. Porsche races and will sell you street legal cup car, GM race, and sells you something that does well in magazines (missing the coilovers, brakes, chassis, body etc).
DC doesnt do either.

My bet is that DC might come to the table with Challenger ACR, and race it against the Ford and Camero in US-only series - can you think of a better way to sell cars?!
Unfortunately, you can see where this is headed

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Dropped the ball on the GenIII"? How is better handling, more cubes and horsepower, better brakes, better suspension, better interior, dropping the ball?

Looks are subjective. While I like the GTS, nothing compares to the GenIII convertible in my opinion.
I'll rephrase... "Dropped the ball" only in terms of styling. Still an awesome car, but lacks the outrageousness of the original.

As a driver, the Gen3's kicks @$$.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So should Dodge sell 30,000+ vipers a year? Would you be interested then?

As long as the Viper has the power, rawness and style and DC doesn't go adding the electronic nannies Dodge could sell 100,000/year of them for all I cared. Exclusiveness is a perk, not a requirement.

OP
OP
F

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speaking of reduced production, attached is a story from yesterday regarding DC cutting production by 135,000 units in the 2nd half of 2006. I believe this is truck production, but it seems that all auto makers will be paying close attention to building what is actually selling and profitable.
http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_5005597,00.html

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so there are heavily discounted '05s just waiting to be bought? why did I hear this before...

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll rephrase... "Dropped the ball" only in terms of styling. Still an awesome car, but lacks the outrageousness of the original.

As a driver, the Gen3's kicks @$$.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO, the Gen III styling is awesome but was too removed from the Gen I and II design and without the badging they could be 2 seperate cars. The Concept GTSR and later Comp Coupe aren't as much similar to the Gen II but are accepted more as the next "over the top" Viper styling that would get buyers reaching for their checkbooks.

DC didn't have the balls to release anything that looked as extreme as the GTSR concept in 2003 which was a missed opportunity. The Gen III is overall a better performing Viper but you need more than just performance to sell supercars.