Anyone tow their Viper with Trailblazer SS?

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Wanted to see if anyone else has a Trailblazer SS and is successfully towing their Vipers without hesitation.

I have a 2007 Trailblazer SS 390hp and 400 ft/lbs tq AWD with optional 4:10 rear and want to tow my GTS from MD to NY.

I have access to an enclosed 24ft trailer and also an older open trailer. I know the open trailer with the Viper would be less GVRW, however if it is possible, I'd love to utilize the enclosed trailer.

Operater Manual states 6600 or 6800 if I recall, I'll have to go back and check. I'm also worried about tongue weight and someone had mentioned a weight distribution hitch.

Let me know for those that have experience with this set up.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A good rule of thumb is that the total weight of the vehicle and trailer in tow does not weigh more than the tow vehicle if it is not a heavy duty full size truck, excluding commercial vehicles. I would deffinately NOT tow my GTS wth anything less than a full size truck and enclosed trailer. Just my .02 hope it helps. Oh BTW I was going to tow a GTS on an open trailer in a pinch not by choice back in 2004. I contacted U-Haul or Ryder and they would not allow it with my Dodge Dakota Quad cab which I believe has about the same tow rating as your Trailblazer so had to use full size truck. Good luck ;)

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No mater what, be sure the trailer brakes are in good working order and you have an adjustable brake controller in the tow vehicle.

I tow mine with a RAM std cab PU, with 7000 lb tow rating, HEMI (of course) and an open Kwik Load (which has an air deflector).
PBR

ssnaked

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have towed my Viper from NY to VA in a 24 ft Enlcosed Haulmark Race Trailer with a Land Rover LR3 with a heavy duty towing package. It was just fine. I have also used a 24 ft open aluminum trailer and you cannot even tell it is there. I researched towing with my vehicle quite extensively. You should too. You would be surprised how much information is out there. As far as your trailbazer you need to check the suspension package you have. Since its an SS I would be curious if it had heavy duty components for towing. It may really squat with tonhue weight. I do not beleive the Trailbalzer has an air weight distribution system like a Land Rover. if you go with a heavier enclosed trailer you should serioulsy consider using a weight distribution system to keep the weight off the back of your truck and a sway bar to reduce swaying. You will also need a brake controller. Determine if your truck is pre-wired with a 7 pin connector. If not you will have to put one in to run electric brakes. That's a pain. You have to carefully plan your set up to tow with less than a full size tow vehicle. Especially if your load will equal or exceed the weight of your vehicle.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine and tranny should be up to the task, but the question mark is with your specific vehicle that is set up more for sports than hauling.

I would hook the package up, take it for a 50 mile run up and down some hills, and around some corners. If your palms are not sweaty when you get done, you are probably good to go.

I would suspect that your set up would work out if all went well, but if things go bad, you could quickly wish you had more truck under you.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to tow extensively at the capacity of my former 2003 F250 diesel in all kinds of weather, terrain, etc... and before that a Chevy 1/2 ton van.

The towing was work related with all sorts of loads and I was traveling approx. 50,000 miles a year. This was with enclosed Haulmarks, 18' open trailers modded to carry large volumes exceeding the capacity of the trailer (maintenance costs were high because of the abuse) and 12' landscape trailers.

Personnally, unless you are only talking about very limited travel distances, as well as, relativly flat terrrain; I wouldn't even consider using the Trailblazer.

I am not saying you couldn't get away with it, just that knowing the risks and the problems I would want to be safe. Get a vehicle made for towing. When you are tired after a long day and you are towing, the last thing you need to be doing is struggling with an undersized tow vehicle.

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1MEANSNAKE
I have a Trailblazer that I use to tow with some times.

It seems to be at the top of the load limit with a 17' enclosed

trailer with two full sized motorcycles any more than that would

be a hand full.:omg:

Skeeter

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope your not planning on traveling on route 15. Flat roads and short trips I do not see a problem. As i told my son when I was pulling my enclosed trailer with my old Suburban on route 15. "If we stop making progress going up the hill be sure to jump out and chock the wheels!!!"