Anyone use plastic ramps?

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone here used the plastic ramps that you find at auto part stores that probably are appx 12" high? Can you just drive right up the ramp or does it require a 2x6 board first? Looking to change the oil and wouldn't mind a set if they work. Thanks

beckertb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a set that I purchased from Griot's garage. They look a lot like the ones at Autozone, Pep Boy's, etc. I can back right up onto them without any problem. I can not drive onto them, though.

HTH

Ben

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

You'll need a board. The pitch is to steep. Works on a Vette, but not on a Viper. Nose is too far out in front of the wheels.

Mike

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive right up mine. It touches but not so hard for me. You'll need to jack up the rear to change the oil.

Carl

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use my approach ramps for my lift. They are made of aluminum, approx. 5 feet long and achieve a 4" lift. There is no way you can drive a viper or a c-5 vette up any of those ramps you are describing without serious contact. If you use the ramps I am speaking of, you must create a solid landing pad with a stop. I use this method currently because my cj-7 frame off project is still on the lift. Anyway if your handy, the easiest, safest method is to make some very very low profile step ramps out of plywood. These are very similar to what people use for their motorhomes for leveling purposes, only much longer. You really don't need much height to do an oil change. If you need pic's I will try to figure out how to load them on the site.

Reaction score
Almost like Camfab, I originally opted to build some ramps out of 2x12's. Just make sure you have at LEAST 16" to the next "step up" as that is the distance (on average) from the lowest part of the fascia to the front tire. Make a solid landing pad and "stopper" so you know where to stop and don't drive off the other end. :) Also, put several to many peices of rubber on the bottom so it won't slide. Oh, and Paul Ronald (who gave me the idea) also put handles on the sides for easy movement.

Of course, I moved on to my Kwik Lift and just had several Vipers over and did a couple oil changes on Saturday. :)

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a pair at pep boys and could not get up them. They are a grey plastic 3 piece snap together set. The third peice is a rubber type footing. I didn't try them with the viper but I could not get up them with a mustang. Every time I tried one of them moved foward. I put a rug underneath, plastic mat, carpeting. Nothing worked. I was on a level cement garage floor so I don't know what the problem was. What a waste of money.
Gary

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte