Are 98 Vipers numbers matching from factory?

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am close to buying a 98 Viper and completely trust and feel confident in my seller. But no one can be completly certain what a prior owner has had replaced. And the current owner is not the original owner.
I have recently been tricked on a muscle car and do not want to get burned again. So I was wondering if the VIN number on the dash will match the engine number and the rest of the drivetrain? And if they don't match who has the information that would explain what engine number should should be in what car.
Even in my muscle car deal my seller also was duped so it's getting real scary out there.
I believe the current owner of my proposed viper is an honest sincere guy but the car is out of warranty and he can't know everything the prior owner did. And I doubt at this early stage people are checking matching numbers on vipers.
Also I know Dodge likes to replace tranny's and motors if they have internal problems rather then have the tech's go inside.
Any help would be great.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the engine # will match the VIN and I know 97 transmissions match too. However, they stopped putting the VIN on the tranny when Borg Warner was sold. I do not know the exact year or date.

The manual also list other locations of the VIN and it is stored on the computer too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960