Are the Gen II's value a little too high??

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I am sure most of you are storming into this thread irate at my subject title. Hear me out, and please understand that I DO have love and respect for the Gen II.

I ask this question, because it seems that Gen II prices are often as high or higher than Gen IIIs. I now see Gen IVs being sold in the high 40s. YES, I do agree that the Gen II is the classic Viper design. I also agree that the Gen III and IVs could not capture that Viper sex appeal that the Gen II unleashed on the world.

I find it difficult to justify spending more money on an older model when I could have more factory power, more life in the paint and drivetrain, greater reliability and less maintenance with a newer model (with the same money spent). I noticed the Gen IIs dropped in price/re-sale in 2008 after the Gen IVs came out (and in 2006 when the coupe came out); however, their value and re-sale has increased recently. I am thrilled for Gen II owners and all Viper owners with the awesome re-sale value these 10+ year old snakes are bringing in!!

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I am sure most of you are storming into this thread irate at my subject title. Hear me out, and please understand that I DO have love and respect for the Gen II.

I ask this question, because it seems that Gen II prices are often as high or higher than Gen IIIs. I now see Gen IVs being sold in the high 40s. YES, I do agree that the Gen II is the classic Viper design. I also agree that the Gen III and IVs could not capture that Viper sex appeal that the Gen II unleashed on the world.

I find it difficult to justify spending more money on an older model when I could have more factory power, more life in the paint and drivetrain, greater reliability and less maintenance with a newer model (with the same money spent). I noticed the Gen IIs dropped in price/re-sale in 2008 after the Gen IVs came out (and in 2006 when the coupe came out); however, their value and re-sale has increased recently. I am thrilled for Gen II owners and all Viper owners with the awesome re-sale value these 10+ year old snakes are bringing in!!

Still love the original version: Gen 1.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If anything they are all lower because of the economy. Check completed listing on ebay to see the cars that actually sell. People are still buying and selling all generations. The fact that you are analyzing Gen2 values is probably an indication of what you really want so you should consider if something else will make you happy just because it's newer and has more power.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The right Gen2 car will bring MORE then Gen3 money.... And a GT2, will bring more than Gen4 money. Why? Because nice ones are so few and far between. And Dodge hit the nail square on the head, with that body style. So the demand, is still there..

A 1000 mile 1997 B&W just sold last week for $55,000... Sold, not asking. And the front facia was damaged.

Its the same reason a 1967 Corvette brings DOUBLE, what you can go buy a brand new one, for.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Although many people prefer the Gen 3 most prefer the GTS. Such as me. I own 2 GTSs and could have had any Viper, but I prefered supercharged and heavily modified cars as well. This last year has seen quite a few Gen 3 s being modified, but they're mostly verts and therefor impractical for me since I need that Double cargo space (12cf compared to the verts 6cubic feet) for my wife's shoe and extra suitcase. Therefore, only the 06 coupe would convince my wife to come along.

My trips are 400miles to the nearest city and back, but nearly every event is farther than 1,000 miles.

Ted

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's what the market will bear. Simple economics. If the demand is higher for Gen II then prices will be higher.

No one is forcing you to buy a GenII but the people that like GenII more than others are willing to pay the price.

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This is kind of what I was thinking back when I was looking to buy a viper 2 years ago, but even though I could have gotten a newer more powerful viper for the same price or less I still went with a gen II because they are the reason I have allways wanted a viper.

I think out of all the vipers the gen II is the best because its the best looking and if power is your thing there are many options for adding horsepower to compete with the newer vipers.

On a side note I am very excited to see the gen II prices going back up to where they should be at:2tu:

OP
OP
B

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are totally correct in that my comments stem from me considering the gen 2 as I think the look and style will be a classic. I also don't think the Gen 3 could be compared to a Gen 2 until they came with the couple style in 2006.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Genl and Genll's are classics. I see them bringing the most money in 15 years. Just like the early Corvettes. Mine wont as I am going to drive the hell out of it!! ha

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO gen3's are not going to be the viper people are looking for in the future. gen1&2 are.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II prices are still soft. Anything with mileage in the 30K's is still going for mid to high $20's. Now is a great time to buy if you are considering a Gen II, or any Gen for that matter.

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All car prices are soft...You wish anything with mileage in the 30k's is going for mid to high 20's.: maybe with a salvaged title , big scratch, blown motor, bald tires, and you with your hand out with 29GRAND IN IT B....CH MAYBE A GEN II, or any Gen for that matter.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give it a little more time and you will have Gen II prices double that of Gen III prices. You said it yourself that Gen III and beyond do not capture that Viper sex appeal that the Gen II unleashed on the world. That's enough said. Technology is not what makes a classic car a classic car obviously. It's how it makes you feel when you look at it, drive it. The Gen II is the pinacle of the Viper motorcar. Nothing will ever change that.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those that like to mod like the gen 2 due to internals. Being able to bolt a Paxton on it and make big power is nice. You can't do that with a gen 3. Rather than fight, I just twin turbo both of them :D

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you really want a viper of any gen, Spend the necessary amount to get a well maintained car . Try taking a drive in a 500hp 200mph +- Viper that has problems, is a bad idea. ARE YOU WORTH IT? :dunno:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's compare Gen2 values to the other handmade American built v10 8Litre Supercars on the market. We should probably limit it to cars that provided world class performance for their era and that inspired video games and TV shows. We probably want to limit the comparison to cars with great reliability and comparatively low maintenance and upkeep costs too.

Hmmm... They seem like a bargain compared to the other comparable cars in their price range.

Last edited:

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparing them to classic vettes, in my opinion, the Gen 3 convertibles will be the least desirable, similar to the 73-83 Corvettes. Currrent pricing is already reflective of that and will only get worse. Good thing for some folks because that is still a lot of car for the money. Gen II will be like a 63 corvette.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Genl and Genll's are classics. I see them bringing the most money in 15 years. Just like the early Corvettes. Mine wont as I am going to drive the hell out of it!! ha

Correctamundo!!! You will see in the near future a reversal of prices. Gen IIs becoming the more expensive of the Gen I-III. :2tu:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those that like to mod like the gen 2 due to internals. Being able to bolt a Paxton on it and make big power is nice. You can't do that with a gen 3. Rather than fight, I just twin turbo both of them :D

You can do it with the Gen IIIs, but to a point. 650-700HP or so. But even with the forged Gen IIs it wouldn't be smart to go above the 800 mark. Anything more should have a built motor.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I'm just going to ask. Where did you see GEN IV's (meaning, more than one, like you said) in the high 40's? The only cars I have seen selling for that low are the salvage title ones. No offense, but I think you are exaggerating here. Show me a link to a 2008, 2009, or 2010 Viper that is a clean title and is priced at 49,999.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I'm just going to ask. Where did you see GEN IV's (meaning, more than one, like you said) in the high 40's? The only cars I have seen selling for that low are the salvage title ones. No offense, but I think you are exaggerating here. Show me a link to a 2008, 2009, or 2010 Viper that is a clean title and is priced at 49,999.

OK:

2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10, $35,000 - Cars.com

:D

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assumed the OP was looking at buying a Gen II from the title (vs not having one)... I don't know how you could be ******** about the prices. There are some great deals out there - you either don't have enough money or you don't know where to look.

Happy hunting!

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparing them to classic vettes, in my opinion, the Gen 3 convertibles will be the least desirable, similar to the 73-83 Corvettes. Currrent pricing is already reflective of that and will only get worse. Good thing for some folks because that is still a lot of car for the money. Gen II will be like a 63 corvette.

I agree :2tu:

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK:

2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10, $35,000 - Cars.com

_______

I tried to run a Carfax on that Viper listed and carfax reports "no records". I'm calling BS on a 35K Gen IV if it's not a salvage. Also, did you notice the pics for it? One real pic and a whole bunch of factory pics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21