arrrgh... mandatory stability control

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blame the politicians but blame the people too. Some of which are on this board.

It isn't enough they have choices of "safety" vehicles to purchase, they want to force everyone to swallow the same pill. I guess communism is ok if it's in the name of safety.

Anybody wanna start a country where "liberty and justice for all" is more than just a motto?

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It ***** but Im pretty sure it will take one of our fine tuners all of 3 seconds to delete it or at least make it switchable.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really depends on what is considered "STAB" technology. I have Penske shocks, that should suffice for "STAB" tech shouldn't it?

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It ***** but Im pretty sure it will take one of our fine tuners all of 3 seconds to delete it or at least make it switchable.

Sounds nice but don't count on it. Cars in 2012 will be drive by wire, all electronic, just like ABS, you will likely not be able to just delete it and go forth. I'm thinking get your cars now because for me I don't see why I would buy a new car once they start mandating all this electronic garbage.

-J

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds nice but don't count on it. Cars in 2012 will be drive by wire, all electronic, just like ABS, you will likely not be able to just delete it and go forth. I'm thinking get your cars now because for me I don't see why I would buy a new car once they start mandating all this electronic garbage.

-J

agreed

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-J

So true. Nothing like taking the "sport" out of a sports car.

Maybe it will open a new market for some real quality kit cars.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-J

So true. Nothing like taking the "sport" out of a sports car.

Maybe it will open a new market for some real quality kit cars.

Man I hope not. I wouldnt mind having it as long as I could turn it off. It would be great to have when you let your wife drive the car. lol...

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I hope not. I wouldnt mind having it as long as I could turn it off. It would be great to have when you let your wife drive the car. lol...

Yea but then again why would ya :p (just bugging ;) ..)

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as it drives me nuts sitting in the passenger seat it gives me a thrill to see the smile it puts on her face when she is in control. It`s funny. When I had the Vette I would let her take it whenever she wanted. I never worried. SHe has yet to take the Viper out by herself. I just dont trust the car. The Vette was foolproof. Traction control, abs, etc etc. I had to explain to her the other day about the difference between the 2 cars and why I havent let her take it out by herself..LOL.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as it drives me nuts sitting in the passenger seat it gives me a thrill to see the smile it puts on her face when she is in control. It`s funny. When I had the Vette I would let her take it whenever she wanted. I never worried. SHe has yet to take the Viper out by herself. I just dont trust the car. The Vette was foolproof. Traction control, abs, etc etc. I had to explain to her the other day about the difference between the 2 cars and why I havent let her take it out by herself..LOL.

To which her response was.. ;) ?

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To which her response was.. ;) ?

She just smiled and understood...at least thats what she said...lol.. Never said anything though. She's just happy to have a Viper..ha ha

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And if they do so they and yourself are then liable for damages if you hit someone.

I don't think they would be so quick to do so...

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And if they do so they and yourself are then liable for damages if you hit someone.

I don't think they would be so quick to do so...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Traction Control on a C5 is on automatically and there is a button to turn it off. I haven't heard of lawsuits so far.

I plan on keeping my 2000 Viper because it is the last year without ABS or any other nanny. I will eventually buy a new Viper but I will be more likely to trade it in before any of those nanny's start malfunctioning. Almost makes me consider to lease instead of buy.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Let 'em. As hard as it was finding a Mustang without ABS or TC
AND a manual transmission I have come to the conclusion that I'm
not buying a brand new car again. I would love to think that the
masses simply won't buy them and the law will be forced to change
(like Cali had to do with the electric vehicles) but I realize my
life will be spent in the older cars from here on out.

The Vette was foolproof. Traction control, abs, etc etc.

I wonder if that was the last thing going through this guy's mind...
vette.jpg

Though I doubt it.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate that picture. Seen it many times. Poor guy. Obviously the TC, ABS etc doesnt make up for total lack of attention or plain stupidity but it helps for those split second mistakes where if she goes around a corner and gasses it a little too much, it will save the car for her where as if she does that in a Viper it's game over. She doesnt understand torque, hp figures and what they mean. All she does is look a the car and say that looks cool, can I drive it?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my Z06 I have 3 modes on the TC, on, off and competitive driving (if i remember the wording correctly) it won't be SOO bad if we have that option to turn it on or off at will.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my Z06 I have 3 modes on the TC, on, off and competitive driving (if i remember the wording correctly) it won't be SOO bad if we have that option to turn it on or off at will.

Guess again. You think the govt will mandate it, then allow you to turn it off at will? Welcome to reality! :buttkick: :D

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You anti-electronic guys crack me up. Do you guys drive around with your seatbelts off? Seatbelts were and option on many classic muscle cars.

Maybe I am too ******** of a computer geek, but thinking about a fully integraded system that would let me hack in and modify whatever is most excellent.

I work at a geek factory and they guys get these new Lexus, and bmw's with all these crap and after they show me I reply with, my Viper does not even have abs, it does not even have a compus in the mirror. They look dumbfounded and I love it. I love having a pure car, it is very rare. BUT, if I could have a fully integrated system on my Viper I would in a second.

Geez, guys, it will be cool to get to hack these 2012 systems!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You anti-electronic guys crack me up. Do you guys drive around with your seatbelts off? Seatbelts were and option on many classic muscle cars.

Maybe I am too ******** of a computer geek, but thinking about a fully integraded system that would let me hack in and modify whatever is most excellent.

I work at a geek factory and they guys get these new Lexus, and bmw's with all these crap and after they show me I reply with, my Viper does not even have abs, it does not even have a compus in the mirror. They look dumbfounded and I love it. I love having a pure car, it is very rare. BUT, if I could have a fully integrated system on my Viper I would in a second.

Geez, guys, it will be cool to get to hack these 2012 systems!

Buy a xbox (or a Vett) and hack away. The purists prefer to drive.

And if I have to debunk your seatbelt analogy for you then I am certain you just don't get the Viper and never will.

I really wonder why some people bought a Viper when it doesn't (or didn't rather) have all those nannie aids to give them the false impression that they actually knew how to drive. Ego? Status? Exclusitivity? Oh boy. Those are always first on my list too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy a xbox (or a Vett) and hack away. The purists prefer to drive.

And if I have to debunk your seatbelt analogy for you then I am certain you just don't get the Viper and never will.

I really wonder why some people bought a Viper when it doesn't (or didn't rather) have all those nannie aids to give them the false impression that they actually knew how to drive. Ego? Status? Exclusitivity? Oh boy. Those are always first on my list too. :rolleyes:

Wow, your really old.

If I could have both my 2000 ACR and a 2007 Z06 I would in a minute. That technology is VERY cool. But since I can not, I own the Viper, it is cloest to the muscle car experience I grew up with.

I know, your and old crumudian who grew up in the 50's watching those "scary" computer movies and any real understanding of an integrated system scares you to death. How's that working for you?

And yes, please debunk my seatbelt analogy.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, your really old.

If I could have both my 2000 ACR and a 2007 Z06 I would in a minute. That technology is VERY cool. But since I can not, I own the Viper, it is cloest to the muscle car experience I grew up with.

I know, your and old crumudian who grew up in the 50's watching those "scary" computer movies and any real understanding of an integrated system scares you to death. How's that working for you?

And yes, please debunk my seatbelt analogy.

Great. Two slams about age. How creative and mature. Not to mention brilliant considering this is not your typical car board full of $10/hr 20-somethings.

Now, if your limited attention span can stay on topic - I don't know what "muscle car" experience you grew up with but if the Viper is the closest thing to it then it must've been the same experience I grew up with because it certainly wouldn't be anything after 1975, which makes it all the more curious as to why a fellow "old crumudian" like yourself would want more tech.

So you bought a Viper because it is low tech like the old muscle cars, but you want to make it high tech. That's understandable. :rolleyes: Nah. You bought it to look cool, otherwise you'd trade in that old, low HP, low tech, non-ABS GTS for an ABS, TPMS, 510hp 06. Or even better for you, a Vette!

Hey, it's ok for "old crumudians" like yourself to want assistance driving a car, especially one with 460hp. I understand. But seriously, the Vette is the car for you.

Seatbelts have almost nothing to do with masking a driver's talent. STAB is nothing but masking driver talent. Of course one wouldn't learn that from hours and hours of xbox driving.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW Seatbelts became mandatory in the 60s, not optional. But since we both grew up in the same muscle car era then you probably just forgot that.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Naw, I'm 40, it sounds like you got about 10 years or so on me.

OK, I do agree with you 100% about stability/yaw control not being a real race experience on a dedicated track. What I am trying to get at is how much safer it makes driving on the highways. ABS has saved my a$$ on many occasions driving with all the other brilliant drivers I get to enjoy my driving experience with daily.

I have also owned a 99 FRC vette. It was a great car, loved it. But just not close to the same experience of my 97 RT/10 or my 2000 ACR.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BTW: I do have 2 xbox 360's and one orginal xbox. I was playing PGR3 on live with a bunch of others when they were talking about music. I said, what about the Ramones. It got kinda quite and one one guy says, "man, you must be really old!"

I am now signed up for a day of Driving instructions with Bobby Archer.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back on topic, aside from the "purist" argument the other reason I'm against electronic nannies on a sports car is because of the false sense of security it provides. The key thing to remember is I am specifying "sports car." Certainly on SUVs, minivans and sedans I have no problem with them. But sports cars are driven by folks that enjoy driving, or more appropriately "the sport of driving" and I've witnessed numerous occassions at the track where the drivers of these high tech nanny cars went beyond the nanny's ability because they "didn't think it would do that." (That is an exact quote btw). Just this weekend a Porsche GT crashed at Laguna Seca because the driver was showing off. TC didn't help him and I'm betting STAB wouldn't have either, thank God it was at the track. I can only guess how many times overconfidence in electronic nannies has happened on the street, how many Enzos have we lost so far?

Like I said, electronic driver aids take the "sport" out of sports car. F1 realizes it and has be backing off for several years.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
monnieh i too am in IT/programming, and see eye to eye with you on the tech aspects of driving and tuning the systems that control the aspects of our cars.

being able to tweak the systems that control our cars is another enjoyable aspect of being a car nut. its one thing to screw a jet in a carb, its another thing to tweak fuel maps, see real time o2 output, have real-time tables for controlling A/F ratios. there is something much more satisfying about going that deep.

To chucks point if you want/need all STAB **** then buy a vette. The systems are no replacement for driver skill & driver training. touche. I agree. To be honest the stability/yaw systems won't be of much help. With the wide tires once you lose traction & go a bit sideways if the computer takes over, you lose the option ADD gas. which is the option I choose the most. STAB on a sports car with wide tires like the viper is a safety issue, not a help.

I do prefer to have a 'CHOICE' rather then no choice of the systems I can use when conditions are less then ideal. What im thinking of is getting stuck in a sudden rain storm 300 miles from your destination with 1300HP/TQ. you have the best of both worlds. 300 miles from home?? ya, i actually drive my 'sports' car. 2000-4000 miles a month.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456