Backfiring issues.....

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My engine is backfiring upon any acceleration. I had an issue with my intake install (didn't install my temp sensor) and it led to misfires in Cyl 1,9 & 10. I got these codes cleared at Autozone but on my trip home, it was backfiring on pretty much any acceleration. I assume this is because of the unburnt fuel with the multiple misfires.

Will this subside, or is there something I need to do to fix this ? I haven't driven the car since then, as i'm worried that I could be damaging something.

Any ideas or advice ?

--wes

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A backfire can be caused by either a rich or lean condition. If it is running rich the accumulated fuel would probably cause a secondary event in the exhaust system. This doesn't sound like it is the issue. It sounds more like a lean condition. Is the idle higher than normal? A lean backfire is apt to push foreward or out the intake.

Someone else may want to add to this, but, it doesn't seem that the temp sensor should cause a misfire, a code yes, but why a misfire.

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I originally got a code for Cyl 1 misfire. It showed itself after a plug change, I suspected the plug but it turned out to be fine. I then changed the wires to MSD and that seemed to cure the Cyl 1 misfire. I then installed the intake and forgot to install the ITS in the end of it. I drove the car and noticed the backfiring immediately. I re-installed the sensor and got the codes cleared. The codes said mis-fire in 1,9 and 10. I drove the car a few miles, and it idles fine, the backfiring is only upon acceleration. There are no more codes, but it continues to backfire so I haven't driven it.

--wes

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to have this looked at by a professional. No matter how you slice this one, it's going to cost you a lot less in the end (headaches and possible motor damage) taking it to a Viper shop or reputable dealer to get it diagnosed.

I wish you the best man. ***** to hear about Vipers that are hurtin!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last fall, I was having the same issues with my car. Tech could not figure out the problem. I changed my plugs and you will never guess what I found? The insulator on one of the plugs had broken free and was preventing the cylinder from firing. Problem solved. I would check your plugs as well.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said ^^^^^. these cars are pretty simple. 90% + of the time, a change of plugs and wires will fix this problem. I've even had backfire problems after installing NEW plugs... so i replaced those with old ones and backfire goes away.

good luck!

JD

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I'll go to different plugs as well then. I just changed them to brand new ones prior to this occuring and #1 started acting up. I then changed to MSD wires and it seemed to clear that problem. I think I'll just go change plugs again and see if it alleviates any of the issues.

BTW- Can anyone a Viper tech in DFW ?

Thanks for all of the advice.

--wes

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last fall, I was having the same issues with my car. Tech could not figure out the problem. I changed my plugs and you will never guess what I found? The insulator on one of the plugs had broken free and was preventing the cylinder from firing. Problem solved. I would check your plugs as well.

Was there any issue with the extra fuel that was gathering because of it not firing ? or does it just eventually burn out ?

--wes

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure it was because I had backfiring on acceleration just as you have. Hell, my car was backfiring at idle! Mine was so bad that 1) it was embarrassing to drive and 2) I was afraid to pass cars due to the loss in power. All is well now though. Good luck.

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool...so you didn't do anything about the fuel, it eventually just burned out ? What plugs did you change to ? I'm thinking about going back to stock plugs....at least they fired right :)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Reinspect the wires...sound crossed up to me (remember the diagrams in the service manuals are "flawed"...noting I don't recall seeing your model year listed )...and be sure that the connectors at thecoil pack ends are fully on... I personally would go back to stock plugs in an non-modified car while sorting above.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I didn't use the service manual. I pulled and then replaced, # by # . Can someone give me the correct layout for a '00 .....just in case I somehow screwed that up.

I think I will go back to stock plugs, as the motor is stock save the filter elements. I've got the Borla headers and exhaust waiting on the sidelines for install :)

--wes

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
MY POST:

Re: Anyone have diagram of plug wires to coil pack?
      #459603 - 10/13/04 01:06 PM Edit   Reply   Quote Quick Reply  

OK, AJT here it is; WHEN VIEWED FROM THE COCKPIT (even though you can't see coil packs from this location):

Driver side................................Passenger side
(left)....................................(right)

---------top row 1 7 3 5 9

-------bottom row 6 4 2 10 8

NOTE that the left bank wires go across the top, and the right bank wires go across the bottom...BUT not in numerical order.

Have trouble, call me (check your e-mail for my number)

P.S. as you can see, I couldn't get the lines to justify to my liking.

and MY FOLLOW UP POST:

Re: Anyone have diagram of plug wires to coil pack?
      #459626 - 10/13/04 02:21 PM Edit   Reply   Quote Quick Reply  

Andy, as we talked, the diagram that I posted above is EXACTLY the way that our stock 2001 GTS is wired (and, the same way that our 97 is wired)...all confirmed after a trip to the garage.

The diagram that you mentioned does indeed exist in my 98 and 99 service manuals (and in the 8I section of the 2002 manual)...and is INCORRECT in that the RIGHT coil pack itself is illustrated with a right-left reversal as is the LEFT coil pack....going from the driver's side of the Viper across the top row toward the pass. side the order should be
1 7 3 5 9 and the bottom row should be 6 4 2 10 8...check for numbers with wires off using a mirror to crosscheck.

and

this post by "onerareviper"
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=76012&Forum=UBB14&Words=wires&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=76012&Search=true#Post76012

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te