ball joint splitting to remove melted boot

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to split the ball joint to replace my ball joint boot (it melted in spots from the brakes). I see that the shop manual describes a Ball Joint splitter special tool, which looks like a C-clamp with a bolt running through it.

My question is has anyone used a traditional fork type splitter on their ball joints? Will it work O.K.? I don't like the contact to the ball joint and the arm with the traditional fork type tool, but aside from ordering the special tool (a bit overpriced) I don't know of many other options.

Thanks in advance.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look around, you will probably be able to find something like it at a auto parts specialty shop that carries a lot of tools. I know I saw something like it at our NAPA auto parts warehouse.

The fork splitter type will do some damage.

OP
OP
S

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ulysses. I had a feeling the fork type would be harsh. I tried Napa and a few others, but I'll keep searching for something less aggressive.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't help with recommending the proper procedure or tool, but I had the same problem. When I had mine replaced, I had the new seals wrapped with a heat resistant material that is held in place with racing wire. They haven't melted since we made the change.