Barrett Jackson Insurance Collector Car

WRD97GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does this insurance really have anything substantial to do with the Barrett-Jackson Company ? I notice that it is named "Barret-Jackson Endorsed" Insurance by the Chartis company, not Barrett-Jackson Insurance Company.

I have to admit that that sounds better than the "Ronald MacDonald Endorsed" Insurance; but, it doesn't make it any better insurance.

It would make me nervous dealing with a part of AIG that is now called Chartis; however, I have no real reason for that feeling since "I think" that the insurance part of the company wasn't part of the fraud issues.

The association just doesn't instill confidence in me.

Abstract:
NEW YORK (Standard&Poor's) Jan. 8, 2010--Standard&Poor's Ratings Services said today that it withdrew its 'A+' financial strength rating on Chartis International Insurance Co. of Puerto Rico (Chartis PR). National Union Fire Insurance Co. of Pittsburgh, PA, which is an affiliate of Chartis PR, terminated its guarantee of Chartis PR's debt effective Dec. 31, 2009. Following this termination, Chartis PR requested that Standard&Poor's withdraw the rating. RELATED RESEARCH What Makes An Insurance Or Reinsurance Subsidiary 'Core' Under Group Rating Methodology? March 31, 2005.
Brief Excerpt:
RESEARCH Ratings Definitions 'A+' Rating On Chartis International Insurance Co. of PR Withdrawn Publication date: 08-Jan-2010 Primary Credit Analyst: Kevin Ahern, New York (1) 212-438-7160; [email protected] Secondary...
Report Type:
Ratings Action
Ticker:
AIG
Issuer:
Chartis International Insurance Co. of PR
GICS:
Property & Casualty Insurance (40301040)
Sector:
Global Issuers
United States
Region:
United States

IS THIS THE SAME COMPANY?

DO YOU FEEL COMFIDENT WITH THIS
INSURANCE COMPANY?

MY STATE FARM AND ERIE AGENTS ARE RESEARCHING
Chartis as to vital structure of company and holdings.

I recommend an UMBRELLA Policy to support this company
to protect liabilities.

More info when I hear from my existing agents.

......seems toooo good to be TRUE???

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got great online quote, but I'm waiting to hear back from them on my question to them regarding mileage restrictions.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chartis Insurance Co (a member of AIG) is A (Excellent) rated by A.M. Best, an industry rating service. However, caution since 'Outlook' is "negative" meaning a downgrade is likely in the next couple years.

"For the purposes of this insurance program, collector car is defined as: Classic, antique, exotic, special interest, or limited edition cars that you use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, or for private collection, drive infrequently and store in a fully enclosed, locked garage (or other secured location) when not in use."

My quote= $904 for 3 vehicles.

Last edited:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never buy from Barrett Jackson if they were the company. The fact that they 'endorse' them doesn't sway me either way. More research is needed.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has always seemed odd that insurance companies charge liability on each car when you can only drive one car at a time if there is only one driver. Parked cars can still incur collision or comprehensive claims while not much of a liability issue. If you have three cars and three drivers on the policy, that is a different issue. That seems to be most of the difference with classic car insurers verses regular car insurers.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been exchanging emails with Amy Spengler from The Delp group about the insurance. She gave me references of customers who have had claims and had a long conversation with Doug Cooper. Doug has several Million dollars in cars insured with them as well as his house and some horses. Doug is very into his cars and won street rod of the year last year with one of his 32's. He gave me examples of their handling of claims and they sound extremely professional. They even paid to ship a car from NY to his painter in Alabama when it was wrecked.

Bottom line is I'm going with them. They seem to be what an insurance company should be. FYI

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been exchanging emails with Amy Spengler from The Delp group about the insurance. She gave me references of customers who have had claims and had a long conversation with Doug Cooper. Doug has several Million dollars in cars insured with them as well as his house and some horses. Doug is very into his cars and won street rod of the year last year with one of his 32's. He gave me examples of their handling of claims and they sound extremely professional. They even paid to ship a car from NY to his painter in Alabama when it was wrecked.

Excellent info. I will probably look into how they compare with my Grundy policy's price.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, MA should be closing soon, they don't know what to do in that state since the Kennedy's are all dead now....BUT you still have Kerry !! Except when he goes to Rhode Island to visit his yacht !!

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saved almost 4k on my Vipers and dd too. Saved over 2k on the Viper's and nearly as much on my two daily drivers.No deductible and more coverage.I don't see how that can be bad :dunno:

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just switched over to them $280.00 for a year's coverage, Agreed value of $45,000. No deductible.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might also want to check Eugene Scott at Alternative Insurance. My '03 Viper and 05' Magnum RT are insured at stated value for $800 with 5000 miles per year each. No daily driving but pleasure use and club meetings are fine. Company I am insured with is AAA rated.

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had B/J collector car insurance, on two cars, for one year now and am totally happy with their coverage, cost, and responsiveness to questions. I'll be adding a third car to the policies next spring.

They don't want your collector car to be your daily driver, understandably so, but if one of your other cars is down for a day or two, there isn't a problem. 2500 mileage limit with them is flexible, for example, if you drive the car to a long distance car club event, it will be covered regardless of miles.

I checked them out quite closely before making the switch, and feel comfortable with them as my co-pilot.

:drive:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...made the switch. Saved over 50% vs. StateFarm. Hopefully I will never have to make a claim. Thanks again Randall for bringing this insurance to everybody's attention

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...made the switch. Saved over 50% vs. StateFarm. Hopefully I will never have to make a claim. Thanks again Randall for bringing this insurance to everybody's attention

They gave me names of customers that have had claims and the people raved about their claim service and how they went overboard to satisfy the customer. I saved a ton with them.

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A car club friend of our's had a claim about three months back. He said they responded very fast, dependable, and took care of his vehicle's repairs, and those of the other party's. Accident was his fault.

:2tu:

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go with Grundy, and their rates are just as competitive as BJ insurance. Haven't had any claims yet, so don't know how their responsiveness rates with BJ's...but so far, so good.:2tu:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, they never got back to me after I went to the trouble of getting a phone quote then submitting my VIN's etc....now I can't find a number. Makes me leary. Grundy quote = $2834 (three cars, total value 200k)

Last edited:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received my policy from Chartis/BJ endorsed insurance. It's about a third of what I was paying before for the two Vipers and '72 Plymouth.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
National Corvette Museum is offering insurance too, agreed value, variable mileage levels and ability to drive to work couple days a week. My Vette was half what State Farm currently charges for same coverage but the Viper and Camaro were more than State Farm, 300 more for the Viper and approximately 30 more a year for the Camaro??? Think they're biased? I am going to switch the Vette to them anyway.

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Three cars covered, $125,000 total agreed to value, $629 a year total for all three.

You tell me....Grundy is less :dunno:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend these guys for insurance? I got a quote from them on line for my 2008 Viper. The price was $387 per year vs the $1200 I'm paying with USAA. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Cincy
Get rid of USAA right away. If you have a claim on your car its a real hassle. I found out the hard way on my old GTS after being with them for 25 years. Had to hire an attorney just to get paid. They are not what they used to be years ago. Changing of the guard.

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very nice. Do they limit the amount of miles you can drive annually?
Don't know if anyone has answered this yet but I called and they told me 2500 anually. I drive in between 5k and 10k so it wont work for me. :( Allstate gave me the best rates and they reduce your policy by 10% if you have no claims or tickets every 6 months.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950