Barrett Jackson

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just watching Barrett Jackson,they got $550,000 for a 1966 Shelby Cobra.What do you think a VIPER will be worth in 2033?

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone really think Vipers will be that collectable? I love'em but have a hard time believing they'll be worth a 100 times what we originally paid 30 years from now.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about that 54 Buick that got $2.8 million? Yep, you heard it right, $2.8 million. Of course, it was a one off concept car but that is a ton of cash. I always thought Vanna White had the best gig in life, but the guy that runs B-J (can't remember his name) must be making Oprah money with his 8% buyers and sellers commissions.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just watching Barrett Jackson,they got $550,000 for a 1966 Shelby Cobra.What do you think a VIPER will be worth in 2033?

that cobra cost about $5,000 when purchased new back in 1966. so thats about 100X appreciation over a 40 year time period. it definately outpaced inflations increase of about 20X.

anyway, i am bettin my 2001 viper ACR will be worth at least $1 million in 2033. so that would be a 10X apprecitation. that should keep pace with inflation. inflation averages about 3% a year, so........

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure bone stock Vipers will go for big money in 2033. There so well built with such brute power. I think it will be easily justified by a buyer.
My only concern is if we go into some alternative fuel source and production of gasoline is drastically cost back. It could cost you a $100 for a cruise.

Or retro fit the V10 to the new fuel.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Weren't there more Vipers produced every year than the entire production run of 427 Cobras? Vipers aren't rare enough and the equipment is pretty much identical from one car to another. I don't think most Cobras were bought to be used as street cars so they also have a different kind of provenance. I think Vipers will increase in value more closely to the big block C2 Vettes but with no super rare models like 427 tri-power convertibles with a/c, or possibly like the 70s and early 80s V8 Ferraris.
In fact that "weird option factor" seems to apply to all the super valuable old muscle machines. You usually had a choice of three or four different big blocks, maybe a couple of different manual transmissions, and most cars came with no a/c or power steering. Many of the cars were homologation specials, and like the Cobra were never sold with the intention of making a profit. I don't think Chrysler has done anything like that since the Daytona and Superbird cars.
If you want investment profit sell your Viper and buy a big block numbers matching pony car and leave it in the garage. The vintage muscle won't outperform a Neon SRT4 anyhow so you won't want to do much except look at it from time to time. Better yet, sell the Viper and buy a piece of land as close to Phoenix or Vegas as you can. You might have to go quite a ways out of town but in 2033 you will have your $550,000. Of course by that time it will be just enough to buy a brand new "Gen 6" Viper

OP
OP
V

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They were also getting $150,000 to $300,000 for '60s camaros,mustangs and mopars

OP
OP
V

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ill trade my mustang for one of your vipers :) ill willing to make that sacrifice for you guys just because i like you.

And 45k you got a deal!

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why I'm trying to sell my 99 GTS Black with both connolly and stripe option now. It has 8,500 miles. One of 26 cars produced in this color combo. And last year for forged pistons. Need some capital to expand my company. So anybody intrested drop me an email a PM or a call (815)354-7601. This is a very well taken care of car no accidents,always garaged, never raced, no rain or snow.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt in my mind that Vipes will be collectables. Especially with the Gen III coming out and truely limiting the number of Gen I & IIs on the road. Add that to the number that have been wrecked and they are already VERY limited, but those that chose to keep the miles low and the Snake in the Stock Condition will reap the benefits!

I just hope those same people were smart enought to buy 2 Vipers, one to drive and enjoy! :2tu:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One would think that Vipers should mimic the values of shelby mustangs, if not better the values of these. The production numbers for Vipers are lower, Vipers have better race history, look cooler are probably the dream car of many more people than Shelby Mustangs ever were.

If a 3500.00 Shelby mustang from 1967 can be worth $200+K now a 70K new Viper should be worth ALOT in 30 or so years.

( Oh, and by the way there is a hell of alot of oil left in the world, it is just now getting to be economical to recover it now that the price is so high )

OP
OP
V

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's why I'm trying to sell my 99 GTS Black with both connolly and stripe option now. It has 8,500 miles. One of 26 cars produced in this color combo. And last year for forged pistons. Need some capital to expand my company. So anybody intrested drop me an email a PM or a call (815)354-7601. This is a very well taken care of car no accidents,always garaged, never raced, no rain or snow.
A buddy of mine is in the market,I will show him you post on sunday.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
around 1200 orginal cobras including all models(260,289,427,428) approx 347 big block cars

And 12,000 Shelby Mustangs compared to about 18,000 Gen 1 and 2 Vipers. Only a fraction of the Shelby Mustangs are worth big money. At last years BJ Auction I saw an a/t GT500 go for around 50k. That's less than a Challenger T/A "Recreation" sold for.

I think you need to compare the Viper to other exotics. The Countach has been gone for over 15 years and you can still pick one up for less than the new price of 85k. The Testarossa, with a production of around 9,000 units was 125k new and you can pick one up for a little over half that.

The better comparison is the Ferrari 328. Not a money pit to keep up like the 12 cylinder Ferrari and Countach, and cost in the low 60s new. These can be found for a little over 50k in nice shape today. Not much of a performer by todays standards but it has the Ferrari cachet and the Magnum PI look.

The cars that bring the huge money at auction are the nearly unique models and except for a few color combos all Vipers are almost the same car. 1992s should always be worth the most, then maybe the first year GTS in b/w, the ACRs, then maybe the FE models. Since creampuff vs forged piston is really a forced induction thing which won't mean a lick to a collector the ABS cars might turn out to be more valuable but then they buy these things to hoard not to drive so maybe not.

I notice the [******] cars don't have great resale compared to stockers. They are worth more, but the price difference doesn't equal the new purchase price difference.Tuner Vipers don't seem as highly regarded as some of the tuner Vettes come auction time.

Maybe once the generation of kids who grew up idolizing the Viper as the ultimate performance car become rich 50 something collectors it will change. I haven looked at other tuner supercars like the Ruff Porsche to see how they resell.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the Viper will be a collector car sooner or later.
But the longer they keep making them the longer it will take to get there.

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess new Pontaic GTO will really be a collectors dream. Production will be shut down at the end of this production year. I think 12,000 per year the 2 or 3 years it was in production. To bad, because other than the bland look it was a real nice car. Not Viper fast but pretty fast.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great comment on SPEED yesterday regarding the discontinued GTO...will it be a collectable (due to limited numbers)or just another "used" car (given its rather bland appearance). I think the latter since I had one attempting to bait me into a run on the interstate...I thought it was just some punk kids in a sedan with a loud exhaust.!!

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Being a collectable is more than low production numbers. It also helps that it was desirable in its day, something the new GTO may struggle with.

I put 3 miles on my GTS today - Drove it to the climate controlled facility that I leased, and covered her back up :)

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really hard to predict....Vettes are still mass produced but older ones bring pretty good money. Especially the rarer versions.

That's one problem Vipers will have to address. At least with older Mopars there was a myriad of engine choices, color, etc...and Ithink that makes them a bit more collectible.

The BJ auction is a joke. There's no concept of real life dealings there. The sad part is that the auctions popularity on TV has made the old car hobby so crazy expensive...at least with musclecars.

(A bit off topic...but it's only a matter of time before a major market correction straightens out the musclecar market.)

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See below. This article was in the April/06 Barrett Jackson magazine

Which Cars Will Become Collectible
by Craig Jackson

"This is by far the most common question. How can I spot a future collectible? I always tell people two things. First, focus on limited-production, premium cars, like the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 or the Ford GT. The Dodge Viper obviously is going to become a collectible and so is the '07 Shelby GT500."

... enough said

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess new Pontaic GTO will really be a collectors dream. Production will be shut down at the end of this production year. I think 12,000 per year the 2 or 3 years it was in production. To bad, because other than the bland look it was a real nice car. Not Viper fast but pretty fast.

I think the Monte Carlo should have been discontinued and the price on the GTO get adjusted to that of the former Monte Carlo. GTO is way more desireable. GM lost a winning opportunity IMO.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See below. This article was in the April/06 Barrett Jackson magazine

Which Cars Will Become Collectible
by Craig Jackson

"This is by far the most common question. How can I spot a future collectible? I always tell people two things. First, focus on limited-production, premium cars, like the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 or the Ford GT. The Dodge Viper obviously is going to become a collectible and so is the '07 Shelby GT500."

... enough said

thanx 4 sharin this qoute from craig. this just confirms what i already know. i had a feeling that me and craig think alike. it really is simple when you think about it. its just plain old common sense as far as i am concerned. i went to this years barrett-jackson and it was spectacular. i can't wait to go back next year. :2tu:

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 1st annual Boyd Coddington collector car auction is happening here in Springfield, MO in the middle of July.

The coordinator of that event has offered to send an enclosed trailer to pick up my IROC, TTA, and Vette CE. I'm a whole 8 miles from the site of the event! He wants them all there, but I'm hesitant to part with any of them.

We spoke about the Viper, and just decided to have it there for the opening festivities on a Thursday evening. Vipers are not strong draws at an auction ... But just wait a couple of decades!

Mike M