Baseline Dyno Results - How do I rate?

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my 05 Commemorative to the dyno yesterday afternoon. Car (for now) is bone stock and my results were 430 rwhp/475rwtq. Is this about average? I have Corsa Track, RT cats, flywheel, 3.55 gears, K&N, and underdrive crank pulley in garage waiting to be installed.

After install of these parts, I'm thinking I should get an additional 30 - 40 rwhp. Does this sound right? I believe headers only give an additional 10-15 so that seems like a 'bad bang for the buck' and I will spend the money elsewhere. With a good tune (split second, dastech or Vec 2) can I pick up an additional 30-40 more? Or bottomline, is it possible to reach 500 rwhp w/o heads, cam or S/C?

I'm thinking that my next mod will be a good tune, rollbar and Motons/KW's. After that I'll have to weigh my choices. Paxton seems like the best hp for the buck but still not cheap and N/A is big bucks for about half the additional power. So what do you guys think?

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All depends on the individual dyno. Ask the shop that measured you if they have any other stock GenIII Vipers pulls on file and compare against that. That's what I did. It showed mine was pulling slightly stronger than the others with DynoJet 460rwhp.

Also take note that the tuning will change related to how the car was driven. Generally speaking, if your Viper is never beat upon appropriately, your rwhp #'s will ****.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a dynojet. The guy commented that with only 570 miles (70 miles beyond break-in) and very little wot time, my numbers should get better. He says the PCM is still adjusting and will improve as it 'sees' more wot time.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bone stock '99 ACR did 436/490 at the wheels. My SRT which is supposedly rated at 45 more hp put down under 420. Hmmm....

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bone stock '99 ACR did 436/490 at the wheels. My SRT which is supposedly rated at 45 more hp put down under 420. Hmmm....

I looked back at some dyno runs made on my bone stock 01 ACR and it was 426/473 at the wheels. So I think my numbers ****! I'll take the guys advice and put a couple hundred more 'spirited' miles and see if it moves at all.

Jim Baughman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Although I did not dyno my 04 STR-10, it felt much better after 2000 miles. Glad you baselined it, I'm betting you will see more HP later.

C.Thomson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I have read, the way you break it in makes a huge difference. I am going to immediately drive my new Coupe balls to the walls and see if this makes more HP. I have seen numbers of around 460hp from those guys that drove there yellow VCA cars on the track at Dallas the day they received them.

I am willing to "Take one for the team" in this regard. What a bummer it is to drive a new Viper like you stole it!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen numbers of around 460hp from those guys that drove there yellow VCA cars on the track at Dallas the day they received them.
Guilty as charged. Car was up around 160 MPH on the stretch with Jerry Nadeau (NASCAR) at the wheel - with maybe 50 total miles on the odometer. Then let a 17-year-old race it around the Viper autocross for two days straight, with his 13-year-old brother as copilot.

First dyno at just over 500 miles, bone stock: 464 rwhp, 504 rwtq.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have read, the way you break it in makes a huge difference. I am going to immediately drive my new Coupe balls to the walls and see if this makes more HP. I have seen numbers of around 460hp from those guys that drove there yellow VCA cars on the track at Dallas the day they received them.

I am willing to "Take one for the team" in this regard. What a bummer it is to drive a new Viper like you stole it!

Chris,

Of course you know that flies totally in the face of how Dodge tells you to break it in. The Gen 1/2 were 100 miles, the Gen 3's are 500 miles break-in. So what some people have suggested is disregard this and drive hard from day one and hope you don't grenade your engine. I guess this is ok since Dodge should cover a rebuild from Arrow if this happens. I did it by the book and we'll see in another few hundred miles if things move (upwards of course).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960