Battery died, Now wont idle

supra360

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

I went away on business for 2 weeks, I came back and my battery was died, So i recharge the battery. It starts now, but wont idle now. Does anybody know whats wrong?

Thanks

Nick

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be a variety of things.

-> Battery should be replaced. Regardless of how good it may seem.

-> TPS and IAC may need to relearn. Assuming the car can be nursed around the neighborhood, drive it some. It may take more than one trip to fully get it right. Every time I clean my IAC it takes like a month to be right again.

BTW, a trip is defined as car off, starting car, driving car, car off.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ECU has to re-learn some things...I'm not an expert, but usually for a GEN II...

Per Dan Cragin...

Check your battery, if the voltage drops too low during start-up then the computer will not remember its idle position and will need to relearn it.

Per JonB...

On a Gen-II car, about 3-5 run cycles of 10 minutes (or longer) each is all that is needed. Whereas ONE long drive will NOT seem do it. Part of the multi-stage process is the idle-adapt.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whenever the battery dies, unhook it to charge it, then you need to press the gas peddle down to the floor (after hooking up the battery and before starting the car) about six times for it to relearn the position. What's draining the battery?

OP
OP
S

supra360

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome guys! thanks for the help. Not sure why the battery is draining, It wasnt moved for 2 weeks i thought thats maybe the reason why it died. I am not sure how long a battery should last when its just sitting there. I am just going to replace the battery.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why you don't have a battery maintainer on it at all times..and why most of you out there don't , boggles my mind. Simple fix for 40 dollars or 38 canadain...:D

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome guys! thanks for the help. Not sure why the battery is draining, It wasnt moved for 2 weeks i thought thats maybe the reason why it died. I am not sure how long a battery should last when its just sitting there. I am just going to replace the battery.

Did you leave it with the Alarm set? If so, that is probably what drained the battery.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why you don't have a battery maintainer on it at all times..and why most of you out there don't , boggles my mind. Simple fix for 40 dollars or 38 canadain...:D

I've let mine sit for more than two weeks, and it started up no problem?

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your Viper may have a aftermarket reduction pulley, which slows down the belt speed for track reasons. With the slower belt, your alternator is not running fast enough at idle to deliver the voltage needed for the ignition, and the engine stalls. Also your battery does not have enough voltage to run the ignition at idle. If you rev the engine above idle the engine will run, I'm guessing. The fix would be to go back to the stock crank pulley to run the alternator at the normal speed.
Jerry

Last edited:

flatblack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my car 2 months ago. I was gone for 3 weeks, came home and it was dead. I did have the alarm activated so that might've been the reason. I would have it charging long enough to crank it, but same issue: it wouldnt idle. We tried this a few times and same issue.

We let it sit for an hour without being charged. We came back to charge it for about 10 minutes, then I cranked it and gave it a little bit of gas for about 3 or 4 minutes and it started to idle just fine. I let it sit for a few minutes at idle just to make sure it would stay like that and not give me any surprises, and it idled just fine. I drove it to the nearest dealership (about 10 miles with plenty of red lights) that had a battery and didn't have 1 issue with it on the road.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
S

supra360

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Replace the battery today (it was $90). Turn the Key to the ACC setting for 5 minutes, press the gas pedal about 5 times. Started up and idle with no problem. Pretty sure the battery was ****.

Cheers guys thanks for the help!

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Supra. Check out my thread about the battery. Since you played with yours this weekend maybe you can help me figure out what was that soft rubber stuff that came off mine when I took apart the battery cover.

Thanks.

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 1996 RT 10, I had similar issues plus the fact that the engine was hesitant in acceleration. After removing the battery, I had to "clear" the PCM by grounding the positive cable, which attached to the + of the battery, to the chassis for 10 seconds.

Then, I "taught" the PMC the new throtle positions by pressing the acceleration pedal 6 times with ignition on and without the engine running. All is perfect now.

A word of wisdom I learned: Always tender-charge the battery as even the smallest voltage drop will register in the PCM and will create problems

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Replace the battery today (it was $90). Turn the Key to the ACC
setting for 5 minutes, press the gas pedal about 5 times. Started
up and idle with no problem. Pretty sure the battery was ****.

Be careful - pedal position is not the same as the PCM relearning
the adjustment. What tends to happen to me is that I take it for
a spin and as I approach a stop sign the idle will gently fall like
normal but then just cut off. I make it a point of coasting to stops
for the first couple of runs because you can just leave it in 2nd,
pop the clutch and restart the motor.

I find it interesting that now that I have a battery tender - I never,
ever have to jumpt start the car, but I have yet had a battery last
over 9 months. My first battery I had to jump at least once a month,
but it lasted almost 6 years.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a battery that's going on 9 years and not one have I had a problem other then when I left the hatch open and the lights drained the battery. Threw a charger on it and was good to go. I try to drive the Viper several times a week but it has sat for a few weeks at a time without being connected to a tender.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang