Battery Tender

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the type I have used for over 10 years with no issues. Mounted it semi-permanently in the Gen I and use a cigarette lighter plug for the Gen III. Also use it for the lawn tractor during low use periods.

2699d1230739210-battery-tender-se-1-12s.jpg

I bought this one and mounted it in the trunk (driver side), its right above battery.
About 30 bucks from Advance Auto.
Works well, no more dead batteries.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the "800" Battery Tender mentioned earlier in this thread. All I do is plug it through the front driver side grille with the hood open and connect it to the remote terminal (red) and the thermostat bolt (black) using the pigtail clips. When it's play time, I unplug it and pull it through the grille to set aside in the garage - 15 second job. Of course, pull the charger plug out of the wall when not in use.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up the Tender Plus on the bay, it seemed to be the best price around, and had it next day with free shipping. I tried it on my motorcycle first. Seems to work great, my bike was pretty much dead and in less then 24 hours it was fully charged. Will be hooking it to the Viper sometime this week.
Best price is on Flea Bay. I saw that today. I also got the cig. plug adapter today and all I had to do was use the receptacle in the center console. A few hours later: Green and fully charged!!:headbang: This is on the Gen 4 anyway. No more lifting the hood up or making multiple connections.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, instead of all this hard wiring, etc., why don't you guys just get the charger that just plugs into the cigarette lighter? Actually battery tender is alright except that they forgot one important item....they come with battery clips and woopee a couple of round terminal clips to connect directly to the battery so that the tender can be plugged in. These are pretty much useless as its obvious that everyone is experiencing the PITA factor. Also if something from the hardwired connections somehow touches the metal battery cover.....suddenly you are a welder! The one I bought in Calgary from Canadian Tire that has the critical cigarette lighter 12 volt power plug adapter that just plugs into the charger harness and then the cigarette plug. Battery tender seriously missed the boat on this one. I ended up buying 15 of these for all my cars plus a few spares. It is a Canadian product called the Motomaster Eliminator battery maintainer, 2 Amp trickle charger, with all the intelligent circuitry that prevents short circuits, goes into trickle automatically, etc. It even comes with screws so that it can be mounted on the wall. I would try online as the Pt # is C12940516 with a UPC code of 15535 11329. Its too bad BT is selling a sh%tload of these causing you guys so much grief especially without the 12V plug. I can try from up here if I get enough responses. It is definitely a time saver and you won't drive off with the tender in tow.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would cause a tender to stop working. Mine is less than a year old and stopped working. It is a CTEK one?

Bruce

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question-What would cause a tender to stop working. Mine is less than a year old and stopped working.

Answer-It is a CTEK one?

Bruce

You answered your own question. See above in bold.

Not the first one of this brand I have heard of taking a dump.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason it went into Standby mode and stopped charging. I needed to remove it anyway and put in the ACR. Seems to be working now.

Bruce

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who like the cigarette lighter / interior 12v plug style. The BMW tender is a good option. I believed it is actually made by Battery Tender, but of course it does cost a few $ more. This is what I use on all my vehicles and never a single problem.

Attachments

• 82110026663.jpg
    82110026663.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 24

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been using C-tek for years. At one point had 6 of them hooked up in my garage (2 cars and 4 bikes). Never an issue, always have worked wonderfully.

I use the car icon for cars and the motorcycle icon for bikes. The manual says snowflake icon is "recommended for a battery at temperatures <5 degrees C. It is also recommended for many AGM batteries like Optima, Maxxima and Odysses. Consult your battery manufacturer when in doubt."

My vehicles hibernate all winter here in NJ so no real PITA factor for me.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had a problem for 10 winters now.
Cigarette lighter plug ... easy to use.
HESO-Ladetechnik - Our products
You must be registered for see images

12 V 0.3 Amp. Connector equipment
Connector equipment 65x50x45 mm, Conservation of charge for lead storage batteries of up to 250 ampere-hours, Pole reversal
Art. No. 51: 2 m charging cable (rubber), Pole binders or
Art. No. 5101: connectors for electrical systems in vehicles 12 mm, Adaptor set
Art. No. 43/4301: 6 V 0.45 Amp., Reverse battery protection, Permanent short-circuit proof

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason it went into Standby mode and stopped charging. I needed to remove it anyway and put in the ACR. Seems to be working now.

Bruce

standby is for when the batt gets fully charged

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the Schumacker 1.5 amp tender at Wall-Mart for just under $20. I have 12 in operation. I have used them since 2002. I have even run over one and it keeps on ticking.

I did not use the pigtail that came with it. I went to a Harley dealer and they have a longer one with heavier ga. wire and an in line fuse for $6.95.

It reaches up just under the trunk lid (vert) and I leave the trunk unlatched until I unplug and pull out of the garage. When it's turn is to be up on the 4 post, I am going to look if there is a hole to have it exit underneath.

silver1331

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, instead of all this hard wiring, etc., why don't you guys just get the charger that just plugs into the cigarette lighter? Actually battery tender is alright except that they forgot one important item....they come with battery clips and woopee a couple of round terminal clips to connect directly to the battery so that the tender can be plugged in. These are pretty much useless as its obvious that everyone is experiencing the PITA factor. Also if something from the hardwired connections somehow touches the metal battery cover.....suddenly you are a welder! The one I bought in Calgary from Canadian Tire that has the critical cigarette lighter 12 volt power plug adapter that just plugs into the charger harness and then the cigarette plug. Battery tender seriously missed the boat on this one. I ended up buying 15 of these for all my cars plus a few spares. It is a Canadian product called the Motomaster Eliminator battery maintainer, 2 Amp trickle charger, with all the intelligent circuitry that prevents short circuits, goes into trickle automatically, etc. It even comes with screws so that it can be mounted on the wall. I would try online as the Pt # is C12940516 with a UPC code of 15535 11329. Its too bad BT is selling a sh%tload of these causing you guys so much grief especially without the 12V plug. I can try from up here if I get enough responses. It is definitely a time saver and you won't drive off with the tender in tow.

Does the cigarette lighter adapter work with all generations of vipers?

Last edited:

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 15 of the Schumacker 1.5 Amp tenders running in the garage now. they are $22 at Walmart. $18 at Farm & Fleet.

On the Viper the pigtail is connected to the battery and hangs out the rear.

I have even run over one at it's still running.

I have motorcycle batteries that went to nine years. I have over 8 years on the oldest Vette battery.

I use them the way the directions say. Leave them plugged in until I back out of the garage and plug them back in upon returning. I have NEVER had a battery problem since I started using them over nine years ago. The were $17 then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456