battery went dead

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I left the hood open and set the alarm. Battery drained completely down. Recharged it w/ a battery tender.
1- it is probably ruined and will not hold a charge?
2- do I need to reset the key fob pcm? How?
TIA

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old is your battery. I have replaced mine 3 times since 1996. Last battery i left a battery tender on it for 3 years. Did not drive during this period. Tender showed fully charged. would not start. strapped new battery in. Bingo Started.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most likely the battery but before you do that unplug your battery cable under the hood..let it sit for few mins and reset the alarm..if that doesnt work you most likely need a new battery..we've seen the same problem with les's car a B/W 97gts and we tried that and it started right up.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the procedure for reseting the alarm/fuel shutoff on early GTS models without the reset button in the glove box. You need to do this only if the car dies on start-up due to the fuel shutoff.

1st method:
- Press both buttons on the key fob until the system acknowledges with 2 beeps.
- The alarm is reset. If it doesn't work, try method 2.

2nd method:
- Put the key in the ignition and turn it OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC leaving it in the ACC position.
- Open and close each of driver door, passenger door, hood and liftgate. The system will acknowledge with a beep for each. The order is not important.
- Press both buttons on the key fob until the system acknowledges with 2 beeps.
- The alarm is reset. If it doesn't work, try method 3.

3rd method:
- Disconnect the positive cable under the hood.
- Wait 5 minutes.
- Reconnect the positive cable.
- The alarm is reset. If it doesn't work, you are screwed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960