Belanger Exhaust Question

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Earlier in the year I installed a Belanger exhaust system complete with headers, catback and RT ceramic cats. My '01 RT/10 is stock except for these mods. I love the sound but its just a tad bit loud. I have the two muffler version of the Belanger catback which eliminates any type of muffler where the stock resonator used to be. I've been contemplating installing two 4" Dynomax bullets where the stock resonators used to be. These Dynomax bullets are used in both the 2 and 4 muffler version of Belanger's catback.

In speaking with Lou Belanger a while ago, he recommended that I install the stock cats. He said his 2 muffler version was designed to work in conjunction with the stock cats for optimal backpressure and to lower the volume. I'd pick up more torque and lower the volume a couple of notches at the same time. He said that adding the 2 Dynomax mufflers in conjunction with the RT cats would get me a little more torque and lower the volume slightly.

I don't know if I've lost torque with my current setup but I will find out soon enough when I go back to the Dyno next week. I'd say I lost a few HP on the low-end but gained it on the top end based on the seat of my pants. Since I want to lower the volume a notch (first priority), would you recommend installing the additional Dynomax mufflers or the stock cats? Is anyone running my Belanger setup with stock cats? If so, what's been your experience with it?

Thanks
- Tony

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with DynoMax mufflers, not race bullets. There isn't much space for muffling material in a 4 inch OD muffler case..

Don't go back to stock cats just to quiet it down, you'd just be throwing away the money and effort you've put into a performance exhaust.

It's possible to squeeze up to 6 inch OD under the sills. I just took a pair out that I measured to be 6.125 inches OD...the passenger side sill went over the big OD without a whimper, the driver's side was a little tighter, but it all went together in the end..

:cool:

Last edited:

ylosnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed Belanger headers and catback with the stock cats as per Jon's advice at Parts Rack. I like the sound. Not real loud. Just right. I didn't want to get thrown out of the neighborhood.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go with DynoMax mufflers, not race bullets. There isn't much space for muffling material in a 4 inch OD muffler case..

Don't go back to stock cats just to quiet it down, you'd just be throwing away the money and effort you've put into a performance exhaust.

It's possible to squeeze up to 6 inch OD under the sills. I just took a pair out that I measured to be 6.125 inches OD...the passenger side sill went over the big OD without a whimper, the driver's side was a little tighter, but it all went together in the end..

:cool:

Thanks, I remember you discussing this setup in an older post. I have a spare set of bullets but I may just try the dynomax mufflers you speak of. It looks like I have plenty if clearance in my sidesills. I spoke to Lou earlier today and he told me not to put the stock cats back after all as it would be too much of a volume reduction as well as the point you raised.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another option would be to install a 2 1/2" exhaust tips......talking to Lou Belanger, it quiets things down with no loss of power.......this would be the easiest and least expensive fix!!! Call and talk with Lou......he won't steer you wrong with this solution!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I told Lou I wanted the quietest system he's ever built. He did not want to do it as he was worried I would complain the car was too quiet. I ended up with stock cats that have been modified to have true 3" inlets and outlets, a muffler behind the cat in each side sill and a muffler on each side out back. In my opinion, it is still crazy loud - but I REALLY do not like loud cars so take my comments for what they are worth. If you have headers, and all that is between the exhaust valves and the tips is the cat media, your car is going to be loud - even if there is some holes in the side of the pipe feeding into steel wool.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know exhaust loudness is subjective. What I have now is 1 notch too loud. I know that even with the 4" bullets it'll be loud but should take the edge off. That's all I'm really looking to do. Fortunately, I have both the race bullets and 6" dynomax mufflers from a previous experiment with a B&B exhaust. If the bullets are not taking the edge off, I will try the mufflers. I should have results in a week. I appreciate all of the feedback.

- Tony