Belanger Headers, And Collectors

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom Welch said:
A properly tuned header will enhance the tone or "note" of your exhaust system, not to mention give free horsepower due to its tuned design. I use and offer Belanger headers, which I feel to be the industry leader. They are a 3 into 2 into 1 design that scavenges very well, and makes a nice fit thru the very tight frame area of the Viper. They never rattle against the frame like some 5 into 1 collector headers. Your 96 with a good catback will make a 50+ hp gain over stock.

I'm unsure about a few things. If someone could shed some light on this...

Regarding Belanger headers, and collectors:
Tom Welch points out that their Belanger headers are the 3-into-2-into-1 design (scavenges very well; makes a nice fit through the Viper's tight frame). He also mentions that they don't rattle against the frame like some 5-into-1-collector headers. Now, because I have read elsewhere that there are headers that come with Burns 5-into-1 collectors, I have a few questions:
1a. Are the collectors separate from the headers? 1b. If so, can headers have different collectors put on them? 2a. When someone is speaking of 5-into-1 collectors, does this automatically mean they mean Burns 5-into-1 collectors? 2b. If not, then what is the difference between Burns 5-into-1 collectors and other 5-into-1 collectors?

You must be registered for see images

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ok, Some general answers for you but the discussion & debate can get like bench racing.

1a. Are the collectors separate from the headers? Yes

1b. If so, can headers have different collectors put on them? Yep, you can even build your own
http://www.cachassisworks.com/header.htm

2a. When someone is speaking of 5-into-1 collectors, does this automatically mean they mean Burns 5-into-1 collectors? No more than when they say a 4 into 1 collector. SVSi pays the extra $$ for the Burns collector. http://www.supervipersystems.com/The_Tech_Sheets/the_tech_sheets.html#headers

2b. If not, then what is the difference between Burns 5-into-1 collectors and other 5-into-1 collectors? What's inside

For more reading....
http://www.thorleyheaders.com/tech_basics_triy.html

http://www.burnsstainless.com/MergeCollectors/mergecollectors.html

http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechArticles/Theory/theory.html

http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechArticles/Stainless_article/stainless_article.html

The Tri-Y header has been around at least since the 60's. The application and scavage works well with lower rev motors.

Like this link sums - the tri-y gave more power in the lower rpms but the 4 into 1 gave more power when above 5500 rpm. What rpm range do YOU want your most power to be? http://www.terato.com/cars/tips/article.asp?ID=223

When a pulse travels down the primary of a Tri-Y header to the collector, It mostly goes down the main branch of the primary. When it reaches the collector, the reflected wave also travels back up the main primary to the exhaust valve and back out again. However in a Tri-Y, the branch that goes up to the opposite cylinder, since the exhaust valve is closed for that cylinder, acts like an interference branch, creating a pulse and an assisting wave of it's own, slightly out of phase with the main pulse and wave. This widens the bandwidth of rpm that the additional scavenging is effective by making the pipe less sensitive to rpm induced pitch.

The pipe becomes "in-tune" for a longer band of rpm, widening the engines powerband at the expense of slightly reducing peak power over a 5-1 design. Since some of the pulses energy is dissipated in the interference branch, the main pulse is not as strong and the scavenge is not as total for the Tri-Y. Peak scavenging efficiency is compromised for having good scavenge over a wider range of rpm. That is why many full race engines where peak power is important use 5-1 designs, while many headers that are designed for best driveabilty like street engines or rally engines use Tri-Y headers.

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Marv,

thanks for the post: definitely informative.

Does the Viper's peculiar firing sequence change the picture in any way?

(Oh, and I assume that a Tri-Y header is a 3-into-2-into-1: is that right?)

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of other points;

1. Most, if not all 5 into 1 collectors(a modification of the old style 4 into 1 V-8 Collector)are "slip on" which means that the collector simply slides onto the 5 primary pipes...this in itself can be very aggrivating during installation. Also, a slip fit tends to leak around the pipes themselves and these small diameter pipes are too close to each other to band clamp together for leak proofing....

2. Marvs very informative post dealt mainly with Try-Y headers from V-8 applications. You must consider the uneven firing order of the Viper powerplant and how that affects exhaust pulse travel and scavenging. Also consider that the Viper powerplant was NOT designed for high rpm use. To purchase a product that is designed for high rpm use, defeats the design purpose of the engine itself.

3. Belanger headers incorporate a device known as a "pickle" in the industry. This device is found in each section of primary tubes and in the final 3.0" collector. These devices create a ventury effect, for increased scavenging and higher velocity of the exhaust pulses as they have about 16 feet to travel before exiting to atmosphere.

Thats it! Im done. The choice is yours.

Tom

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it was said, but Burns is a the guy that came up with the idea. Other 5 to 1 collectors may be the same but they are copies of the original.
BTW. Burns can still make custom collectors for any headers you have. About 400 bucks a side.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember building a set of headers for a 4 cyl motor.Yep It was a while ago.You look at the equations for tube size and length of primary to collector.As I remember depending on tube size and distance from valve head to collector is what determines where boost incures.That is after selecting tube size the rpm range in which you get maximum benefit is determined by selecting primary tube length.The arihtimic is easy.Getting the desired tube length of the primaries to the collector is the hard part.How good is your bending,cutting and welding?Not my forte.If the bala gers (triY) operate over a broader range it would be a benefit for street use.However if you are looking for maximum boost during a narower range you can't beat a 4 or 5 or whatever into one.Of course over a very narrow range run all into no collector.Like a dragster.No higher boost attained but very peaky depending upon primary length. Bruce

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a of Belangers on my GTS and they are without a doubt the best headers I have seen on the market. Both in performace and workmanship....Be sure to HPC coat them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang