Best Battery for the Gen2?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What currently is the best battery to buy for the Gen2? Last time
I bought one it was the Die Hard Gold, but looking through some
recent posts it seems both the Optima and Interstate seem to be
the battery of choice. Thanks in advance.

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone used a Braille lightweight battery in their Viper? I've used one in my previous cars and I was going to buy one for my GTS.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything you can find will do the trick. currently sportng a interstate i think but i usually like the sears one.

just get the better quality one.

MDoe8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My current car came with an optima or else I would never use one. Any battery that has the same specs will work just fine.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been asking what's the best for years.

I've gone thru three batteries over the last 4 years.

Yeah I know I don't drive my damn car but man at least my Dodge dealer should put something in there that can withstand me not driving my car(s) for months at a time.

Yeah I could get a battery tender but I don't trust those things.

The last battery I got was a couple of days before VOI-X just to have a fresh one just in case.

That one too died after 3 months of non useage. I charged it up and so far its holding a charge. Damn thing is not even 8 months old!

Oh and get this.... They charged me 1 hour diagnostic time + $279 for the battery + 1 hour labor to install it. Needless to say I was not happy with the $450 bill for a stinkin' battery that won't hold a charge.

This is now the 4th time on a car that has less than 850 miles! Sheeeeesh!

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a battery tender with very good results. Never failed me yet.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me too. Triplexotica, if I were you I would either break down and get a battery tender, or disconnect the battery when you don't drive the car for three months (as the owner's manual suggests). I don't think you'll be able to find a battery that holds a charge while connected for that long....

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any battery will fail if you don't keep it charged. The regular batteries like Interstate and the factory battery are fine solid units. If you drive the wheels off your car, you'll notice acid making it's way all over the tray and further. The new Optima available for our cars seems fine so far in my car. It fit perfect with no clearance issues. I guess only time will tell if any gremlins surface. I've never had any Optima issues over the years in other cars.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the AutoZone Duralast Gold. It was rated 2nd behind the Sears Diehard by Consumer Reports. However, it is half the price of the Diehard.

Rev

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interstate Megatron. Pulled the old one out and replaced with a new. The old was still going strong after 6 years when I pulled it.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do have a couple but I just don't trust them especially when I travel.

I had one short out on my boat lucky for me I was on my boat when it shorted out and started to smoke.

Who knows what "might" have happened if I wasn't on my boat when it happened.

If that happened to my snake and it caught fire man oh man I don't even want to think about it. I have a car collection it would probably wipe out if that were to happen.

I only keep it on when I'm home and keep a smoke detector a couple of feet above it just in case.

Me too. Triplexotica, if I were you I would either break down and get a battery tender, or disconnect the battery when you don't drive the car for three months (as the owner's manual suggests). I don't think you'll be able to find a battery that holds a charge while connected for that long....

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sears Diehard. I leave mine sitting in the garage for up to two months and it still fires right up. I never use a battery tender or any other type of trickle charger.

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had to take back a red top optima 3 times, so that put me at my 4th battery in 2 years time for my 01 Z06.

Thank god Advanced Auto's warranty! Keep the reciept for your battery in your glove box. They will also keep a record of it by you phone number.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my Interstate battery on Friday. Mega-Tron Plus $124 out the door. Can't go wrong with these batteries...85 month warranty, 800 CCA/1000 CA and just an all-around high-quality, fairly priced performer. Truth be told, I was looking at Die Hard as well. But the thought of having to deal with any of their sales/service folks around these parts is a complete turn off. Instead, I'm fortunate to have a reputable shop in town that's been selling these batteries for years. I'm replacing a NAPA battery I purchased 3 years ago. The battery is wonderful and I just went 5 months without having it on a tender. Never lost its charge. Problem is that the battery is vented and acid spills all over the battery compartment area during spirited/track driving. I think I paid $80 for it but it cost me at least that much in aggravation with regards to cleaning and re-cleaning the battery compartment. Whatever you choose, make certain its sealed and/or non-vented. Trust me...it's worth the extra money.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chad, what do you think of Optimas?

:rolaugh:

I think they're a great product. As long as your goal is to add 40lbs of garbage to your car and never get to drive the thing again. If you go with Optima, I suggest sending your local wrecker service a nice basket of fruit immediately, so when (not if...but when), you call to get your Viper towed home, they won't make you wait all night. Here's the links you'll need:

Fruit Baskets and Gourmet Gift Baskets from The Fruit Company®

Delaware Towing | 24-Hour Tow Trucks in Delaware

I have had to take back a red top optima 3 times, so that put me at my 4th battery in 2 years time for my 01 Z06.

Thank god Advanced Auto's warranty! Keep the reciept for your battery in your glove box. They will also keep a record of it by you phone number.

I had to return 3 Optima batteries in just over a year. The sales clerk actually apologized that they were out of Optimas and I'd HAVE to go with something different the last time :lmao: Had he tried to give me another Optima, I probably would've purposefully dropped it on his foot :D

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[QUOTE
I had to return 3 Optima batteries in just over a year. The sales clerk actually apologized that they were out of Optimas and I'd HAVE to go with something different the last time :lmao: Had he tried to give me another Optima, I probably would've purposefully dropped it on his foot :D[/QUOTE]

:lmao:, yea no kidding! Everytime they checked each battery with their machine they all had dead cells.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been asking what's the best for years.

I've gone thru three batteries over the last 4 years.

Yeah I know I don't drive my damn car but man at least my Dodge dealer should put something in there that can withstand me not driving my car(s) for months at a time.

Yeah I could get a battery tender but I don't trust those things.

The last battery I got was a couple of days before VOI-X just to have a fresh one just in case.

That one too died after 3 months of non useage. I charged it up and so far its holding a charge. Damn thing is not even 8 months old!

Oh and get this.... They charged me 1 hour diagnostic time + $279 for the battery + 1 hour labor to install it. Needless to say I was not happy with the $450 bill for a stinkin' battery that won't hold a charge.

This is now the 4th time on a car that has less than 850 miles! Sheeeeesh!

So, does your car go for months at a time without being started? If so, simply start the thing once a week and let it sit for about 20 minutes. That will take care of the problem. Also, why didn't you just change the bettery out yourself?!?!?!?! You could have saved about 380 bucks! LOL!!

OP
OP
Bonkers

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well it turns out it the question was a moot point.

The DieHard I purchased about 3-4yrs ago had exploded -
or more precisely the top part had cracked and spewed
about 1/8 of the acid out. How it worked at all is surprising.
I took it back to Sears and they said the warrenty was 3yrs
AND 5yrs pro-rated. So they took about 50% off the price
of a new one for warrenty. Since this was the first cracked
maintenance-free battery they have ever seen the manager
gave me some sort of discount that dropped the price
down to $25 even.

So - new battery and the car is running like new, even
some of the recent electrical issues I've been having have
cleared up.