Best battery

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm sure this has been beat to death and I did a search but, I just got my 97GTS last Sunday and don't have a day off till Friday to get a battery. The thing is completely dead. I'm sure hoping all the low power and hard starting is all caused from this bad battery problem. Anyways, what in all your combined wisdom is the best battey to get for my GTS? I like optima's but hear they don't fit.
Thanks
Dave Prine

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my replacement at Wal-Mart for about $50. Has performed well for 2 years, even when the car is not started for 2 weeks during the winter.

Determining the "freshness" of a battery is sometimes difficult. Never buy a battery that is MORE than SIX months old because it is starting to sulfate. [Sulfation occurs when lead sulfate can not be converted back to charged material and is created when discharged batteries stand for a long time or from excessive water loss.] The date of manufacture is stamped on the case or printed on a sticker. It is usually a combination of alpha and numeric characters with letters for the months starting with "A" for January (generally skipping the letter "I") and digit for the year, e.g., "J6" for September, 2006. Like bread, fresher is definitely better.

There are only a few manufacturers. They "private label" their batteries for large chain stores. Below is a list of the largest domestic battery manufacturers/distributors in North America and who the manufacturer is. (I'm not sure how up to date the list is, but you get the point.)

Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI)

-Ameriton
-Duralast (Contact local Auto Zone store)
-Energizer (Contact local Target or Wards store)
-Equalizer (Contact local Wards store)
-Eveready (800-331-9926 or contact local Costco or Wards store)
-Interstate (800-272-6548)
-Motorcraft (800-392-3673)
-Power Connection
-older Sears Diehards

East Penn (610-682-6361)

-American
-Electro
-Deka
-Hi-Tech
-Pow-R-Surge

Douglas (800-368-4527)

-Farmland (Contact local store)

AC Delco/Delphi (800-223-3526)

-Diehard Gold (Contact local Sears store)
-Double Eagle (Contact local Firestone store)
-Dura Power
-Everstart (Contact local Wal-Mart store)
-Freedom (Contact local Sears store)
-Lastcell (Contact local Trac Auto store)
-Tough One (Contact local Western Auto store)
-Voyager

GNB (800-242-6750)

-Champion (Contact local Sams store)
-Omaga (800-925-6278 or contact local Wal-Mart store)
-Voyager (Contact local Sams store)

Exide (800-346-3760)

-Auto Express (Contact local Wards store)
-Centura (Contact local K-Mart store)
-DieHard non-Gold (Contact local Sears store)
-Edge
-Legend (800-538-6272 or contact local NAPA store)
-Motorvator (Contact local K-Mart store)
-Power-Tron
-Prestolite (Contact local HiLo store)
-Pro Start (Contact local Pep Boys store)
-Quick Start (Contact local Wards store)
-Sears (Contact local store)
-Titan
-Value-Lite (Contact local Firestone store)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I still don't know which battery to buy but it gave me some ideas.
Thanks again
Dave P.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...... I still don't know which battery to buy .........

Choose SEARS Die-Hard Gold or the new Die-Hard Platinum series. Amazing endurance stats and claims.

[ Optima NOT ]

Call me Tues-Friday about unique 96-97 problems and how to diagnose.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've actually been reasonably happy with Optima batteries. If it doesn't fit into your battery tray as it was originally welded, you can carefully 'stretch' the tray with a bottle jack and it fits fine. I had a lot of problems with standard batteries splashing all over the place and causing corrosion on the tray of my '97 GTS - so I switched to Optima and it has been almost flawless.

I did have an Optima die on me after I went on a two month business trip and didn't disconnect the battery. It was almost at the end of its warranty, but I was still able to swap it out for a brand new one at no charge with no questions asked. The replacement has been fine for the past four years. Also, I've got a Yellow Top in my Grand Cherokee that has been going strong for the past six years.

I'm not sure why they have a bad reputation now - several years ago they were all the rage on this board and it seemed like the hot ticket. What happened?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
IF you do not plan to track your car, I suggest that you try a Sears Die-Hard Gold. Three year full exchange warranty with another 4 years that are prorated.

I PREFER a 75 series as it fits ALL of our Gen I and II's perfectly...noting that the 78 series Die-Hard does NOT fit our 96 RT/10 nor our 97 GTS.

I just bought another one this AM to go in the 96...noting that the current Die-Hard Gold has lasted 9 years in that car and it is still going...the OEM in the 96 died during year 2 !!!

There are both cheaper and more expensive batteries out there...so you do have MANY choices.

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was some posts out there saying the diehard is a better cold weather battery than hot. It's 113 outside today in Phoenix. I want the best hot weather battery there is under $150.
Thanks

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my reading, it appears most batteries are not made the same year in and year out.
My factory battery lasted over 6 years and 54,000 miles. I'm still using it elsewhere. Others have had miserable luck with the OEM battery. I bought a new one last year thinking I had a voltage related idle problem. That was not the case. I bought an Interstate, based on JD's recommendation, for about $70. It's working well. Most any brand name battery will have a good warranty for early failure. I think Everstart got very good marks in the last test CU did. On the flip side, I had an Everstart several years ago in our Eldorado which crapped out in about 2 years........lending some credence to the comment that every year brings a different crop of quality. They probably subcontract the manufacture every year based on negotiated pricing. It stands to reason that quality controls could vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer

Steve

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There was some posts out there saying the diehard is a better cold weather battery than hot. It's 113 outside today in Phoenix. I want the best hot weather battery there is under $150. Thanks

Warranty on Sears Die Hard Gold is exchange for 3 years, prorate for 7 more ! Warranty honored across USA at any Sears Auto store. The new Platinum series even longer. I would recommend it in hot climates or cold.....the durabilty is proven and backed by a great warranty.

My advice is worth every cent you paid for it..........

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the Sears Die Hard Gold or Platinum sealed?

Odyssey would be my battery of choice if they make one for your Viper. I haven't checked though.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm sure this has been beat to death and I did a search but, I just got my 97GTS last Sunday and don't have a day off till Friday to get a battery. The thing is completely dead. I'm sure hoping all the low power and hard starting is all caused from this bad battery problem. Anyways, what in all your combined wisdom is the best battey to get for my GTS? I like optima's but hear they don't fit.
Thanks
Dave Prine

I doubt there is a "best" battery concerning these cars. Any battery the other members have mentioned above will work just fine. When I bought my Viper over 2 years ago, I suffered the hard starts, random complete power loss, etc, within a few months of ownership. I went to AutoZone and picked up the Duralast Gold 78-DLG. My previous issues were completely solved. Like other new Viper owners, I had a hard time believing the issues were from a "weak" battery. I'm now a believer. 2 months ago I had some of the same issues pop back up. I pulled the battery(much easier the second time around) and took it to AutoZone to buy another one. I didn't know about the 3 year replacement until I went in. They typed my number in and swapped it out with a brand new unit for free. No tests or BS. I was in and out in under 3 minutes. After installing the new battery, all is now well again. I now have a trickle charger attached to prevent another battery trip in 2 years. :2tu:

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m in a similar position to z76232 having just bought a 96 GTS that seems to be suffering battery problems - turn the key and you get the start solenoid buzz but the engine fails to turn.
As an Englishman, in the UK (without the luxury of Sears) I guess any lead acid battery (sealed or otherwise) will do, so long as it has the minimum Amp Hours and physically fits?
Best regards,
Adrian.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh, then you likely don't have Interstate Battery in the old UK. That being, a Texas company, Interstate Battery. And that being for a crisp c-note, what spins my car.

BTW, the OEM battery was 6 years old when it finally got replaced. Was working well too. Should have kept it for science to study the darn thing.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea what car batteries I can get in the UK (assuming I don't need a truck battery) - I'm sure I'll find something suitable. I've also read all the VCA 'similar threads' on this subject so am a lot better informed than I was this morning i.e. size of battery, position of terminals, chargers, hazards, modifying battery tray (I think NOT) etc etc.
Many thanks to you all.
Cheers.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I’m in a similar position to z76232 having just bought a 96 GTS that seems to be suffering battery problems - turn the key and you get the start solenoid buzz but the engine fails to turn. As an Englishman, in the UK (without the luxury of Sears) I guess any lead acid battery (sealed or otherwise) will do, so long as it has the minimum Amp Hours and physically fits? Best regards, Adrian.
Short answer: YES.

Buy the longest-life battery, that exceeds the minimum crank amps the most, and fits.

And 96-97 Vipers (especially) MUST have a fully-automatic, floating battery tender.

When your car is shut and resting after 2 minutes, the door locking LED lights SHOULD BE DARK. Not dark? A circuit is open and bleeding the battery even more.....

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ODYSSEY, ODYSSEY, ODYSSEY this battery has the best of all worlds. Most batteries do one of the other very well; start up power or longevity. Odyssey batteries use absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology so it can deep cycle as well as provide enormous cranking power AND NO ACID SPLASH like I was getting with my other batteries. I'll never use anything else in my viper or race car(no alternator) but they are a little expensive for the easily reached non demanding daily driver

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Optima's lookin' favourite for me at present - at least I can get it in the UK! Looks like it'll fit into it's snug environment without persuation from Mr.Floor-Jack, and with 730 CCA, it's 100Amps higher than my present battery.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OEM battery lasted for 8 years in our '94, but I used a trickle charger on it every winter when it was stored in Michigan. I now have an Interstate battery and it is working fine, again, I use a trickle charger on it when it goes into storage. Yes, even down here in Florida, I store it for June, July and August, it comes out of storage tomorrow, due to the rainy season we have here. Just would not get a chance to drive it much in those 3 months at all. Even September is iffy, but I'll take my chances anyway, it's been too long in storage now, and it's driving me crazy, so out it comes tomorrow. Enough is enough, rainy season or no rainy season!:drive:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Optima's lookin' favourite for me at present - at least I can get it in the UK! Looks like it'll fit into it's snug environment without persuation from Mr.Floor-Jack, and with 730 CCA, it's 100Amps higher than my present battery.

the stock battery is fine Adrian and will last years mine is still going stong after 7 years, you can buy from your local Chrylser dealearship for about £100, if you leave the alarm on and dont drive the car for about 3 weeks its best to fit a battery tender, 95% over here use the optimate which is available from any motorcyle store or ebay, and its very easy to hook up

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the Optima batteries. I have gone through two of them on my Diablo. Once you lose the charge on them, they are dead. I would stick with a traditional battery like what Jon B said.

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Short answer: YES.

Buy the longest-life battery, that exceeds the minimum crank amps the most, and fits.

And 96-97 Vipers (especially) MUST have a fully-automatic, floating battery tender.

When your car is shut and resting after 2 minutes, the door locking LED lights SHOULD BE DARK. Not dark? A circuit is open and bleeding the battery even more.....

Wish I would have had that info sooner! Great point Jon. Nothing worse than heading out for a morning cruise and all you get is click..if your lucky. Replaced battery first time and then when it happened again figured out what was really going on. Got a Battery tender and problem solved!:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wish I would have had that info sooner! Great point Jon......Got a Battery tender and problem solved!

My ulterior motive in being so helpful here is in the hope you would at least

BUY THE BATTERY TENDER FROM PARTSRACK ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im pouting....

Last edited: