Best ET and 60 foot on Pilots?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

I don't understand your comments. I wasn't racing against John, and didn't really care about the 60' times of other cars. I'm glad he got his prize. There was no need for finger pointing or whatever you are talking about as there was no payout for 60' times. BTW, the best 60' time of the entire weekend was JPH with a 1.49 I believe and he ran slicks with a 9.28 e.t. You do the math...005 60' does not equal 2 seconds.

My point, which some folks seem to have a problem comprehending is that the tooth fairy and 1.5 60' times from a mildly modded Viper on stock tires just don't exist. We now have folks reading this and feeling that their Vipers on stock tires can make 1.5 60' times so they go to the track and come home with their tail between their legs feeling like they can't get the job done. That's where I'm coming from, and I don't want to see Viper owners dissapointed to the point that they don't come out and race.

Tom

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can honestly see how that could happen if a guy was doing burnouts across the staging lanes! If nobody was really paying attention, even him, he could have backed up and saw the lights trip. Not saying anyone was cheating at all, but it wouldn't be hard to do! Think about it. The last Corvette I had, had a huge stall, fairly short gears, and I sprayed it out of the hole on ET Streets. I was usually somewhere in the 1.5's. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it's hard to imagine an almost stock Viper duplicating those kind of 60' times on street tires.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please explain how you got a 1.37 60ft time on the stock Michelins. I dont believe it as it is almost impossible with the boltons that you have. You need more horsepower to do a 1.37 60ft. Please give details

Thanks

If your the fastest on stock tires at the Viper Nationals PartsRack will give you a new set of 18" Pilots!!!

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With an absolutely perfect launch using a single stage 150 shot in first gear and no wheelspin I pulled off a 1.79 60' on pirelli p-zero's to go on to run a [email protected] 1/8th mile pass a year ago. I have to agree with Tom on this one. I'm not saying that anyone cheated or is lieing but there must have been some sort of mistake somewhere wether it was with the staging or the tracks timing equipment. IMO a 1.5 60' is IMPOSSIBLE with stock tires on on a mildly modified car. Once someone can back it up with a few more 1.5-1.6 sec slips I will be convinced but until then I am a skeptic.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to break in here then; OK if its impossible, then;

what is expected to be about the best one could do in 60' times on exhaust mods only and stock tires? then what would be the best 60' one could expect in the same car with BFGs? im asking cause this is how i run every week and i want to knwo how much more to shoot for with my goals without trying to attain the unattainable

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With an absolutely perfect launch using a single stage 150 shot in first gear and no wheelspin I pulled off a 1.79 60' on pirelli p-zero's to go on to run a [email protected] 1/8th mile pass a year ago. I have to agree with Tom on this one. I'm not saying that anyone cheated or is lieing but there must have been some sort of mistake somewhere wether it was with the staging or the tracks timing equipment. IMO a 1.5 60' is IMPOSSIBLE with stock tires on on a mildly modified car. Once someone can back it up with a few more 1.5-1.6 sec slips I will be convinced but until then I am a skeptic.

I also agree with you and Tom on this one. I think his car did have the basic Roe supercharger. To hear cars with 700hp to 1000hp and slicks with the most experienced drivers barely putting down those kind of 60ft times would make anyone wonder. If he did it legit then my congrats to him.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to diagree with some on this board but my 1987gn which only ran 11.60 with some bolt on's and slicks would get 1.41, 60ft to 1.49 consistently. As i added more horsepower my 60ft became worst, i was now over powering the suspension and tires. I then had to back half the car with coil overs to get consistent 1.28 to 1.38, 60ft. The car was making 1200hp when back haved and about 450 to 500hp when getting 1.41, 60ft. Point is modified cars are harder to hook unless you look after the suspension. Is it possible to run 1.57, 60' i'am not sure but there was alot of people at the track. Running 1.57, 60' should look like it not like 1.90'. The car should leave like a scared rabbit, the racers who saw the run should be able to tell the difference between 1.57 and 1.90 etc.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

Bolt a 3.07 gear and a 6 speed in that GN and give it another try. I used to run GN's and T-TYpes for years...excellent working cars on the dragstrip, they had little torque on the line which also helped them hook.

BTW, how fast was yours? we had a couple that ran low 11's and had all the stock creature comforts.

Tom

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had about 25 psi in the rear tires, 32 in the front. I started out launching from pretty much idle, and increased the rpm's each time to see how much punch I could get off the line.... 60' times went from 2.0 down to 1.69 at the end of the night.... I was releasing the clutch fairly quickly while at the same time applying throttle....

The track was pretty well prepped that night, which helps out tremendously.... I've been to the same track when it was not prepped well, and was unable to get below 1.8's......

Brooks

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My best on 17" pilots was a 1.69..... here are the timeslips from 3 back to back runs.... nevermind my reaction times.... I wasn't racing anyone, and was really trying to perfect the launch....

You must be registered for see images attach

In mid August too ....... Impressive

You must be registered for see images
:usa:

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Not to start a flamefest, but I think John launched with the back tires on the starting line, not the front tires. This is why the 60' is better by far than any documented. I have watched several vipers do crazy things on the dragstrip over the years (which is especially common during a drivers learning curve)and there was little in the way of instruction at that event, and an even smaller amount of attention paid by track personnel at the starting line. As a matter of fact, the starting line was poorly marked which makes it even easier for a novice to not notice which pair of tires is triggering the staging lights.

Tom

I have been away on vacation, but since I was involved in this post I thought I had better respond. Tom, I don't know you, but when you post you seem to create a lot of flames, maybe it is smart marketing on your side, but usually I don't come away with a good feeling about you or your products. I'm sorry that you didn't win best 60 foot time for street tires, but I beat you. had I not laid down that 1.55, you still would have been beat as I know that some one else ran a 1.61 or 1.63. The fact that another car was running close to the 1.5s indicates to me that the time was possible by the right driver and car. As far as my novice status, I have only owned my Viper for 1 year, but I have made no less than 1000 passes down the 1/4 mile track over the last 20 years, I am no professional, but neither are you. I did not have the back tires on the line, I think that would have made a noticeable difference to the car that I raced and beat. I don not generally go over the line with my burnout, since I don't have a line lock and have found that the Michelins like to just be cleaned off, I will burn them hard to the line but I always jam the brakes to stop before the line. Was the 1.55 an incredible number, yes, the best I have done before and after have been low 1.6s, but if the clocks were wrong for me, they were wrong for everybody. Maybe we should go back and do it all over again, however this time we should check to see how many shots of nitrous everyone is running?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the same race I did a 1.63 sixty foot on the Michelins. This pass was a 10.93 @ 131.2. (7.12 1/8 mile)On a earlier post I said this pass was a 10.98....was a little better then I thought :) Quickest of the weekend on radials. Did I mention I hate full trees and heads up racing should ONLY be done on a pro tree. You never see heads up racing on tv or any kind of regular heads up racing on a full tree. Repeat after me....pro tree...pro tree....pro tree !!!!

Here is my best time slip with the Viper on radials.. :laugh: ..car #33....yep, I lost too. Sixty feels like you were hit in the back by a truck. Motor was actually hurt and smoking on this pass.

248camaro_fourninenine-thumb.jpg

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who was in the other lane? im sure that they would have noticed where your car was on the line.

i raced john at bradenton and the only thing he passed was me

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

I don't understand your comments. I wasn't racing against John, and didn't really care about the 60' times of other cars. I'm glad he got his prize. There was no need for finger pointing or whatever you are talking about as there was no payout for 60' times. BTW, the best 60' time of the entire weekend was JPH with a 1.49 I believe and he ran slicks with a 9.28 e.t. You do the math...005 60' does not equal 2 seconds.

Tom

10Ward_10_3_run-thumb.jpg

Tom.... Do you know who's time slip this is????? ...... it is YOURS...#22 (check your records) JPH was lined up with you.....NOT.....it was me #20 Cudaman. Look at the 60 foot and 330 ft ....the rest of the slip tells the rest of the story and I will not rehash old news !!!!! BTW .... my 60 ft and 330 ft were done 100%(Koni) stock suspension..... I do not have the drag racing shocks like you.

My and John Canal's point is why can you not give CREDIT were credit is do? We all race Vipers..... we are from the same state..... we are in the regional club?

Please enlighten me and John.

Cudaman :usa:

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys can read whatever you want into my post, you should know by now that I call em like I see em, just like everyone else here does. Never did I mention anything negative about John C, just the observation of several of us at the track that weekend. No different than you guys heckling over my 17 stage nitrous system. I admit to my defeat in the 60' department, but as Ward so well pointed out, the end result was...well read the ticket above.

See you guys at the Gainesville club event coming up...as we will all be in Unlimited together, from the same club, same state, same type of cars..............

Tom

BTW, nice 60' on stock viper tires, Tony. I'm gonna take my stock viper to the track tonight and shoot for those myself! LOL

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom my twin turbo gn ran 8.70 at 161mph, however i was not happy because i bought the car new and took it too far. I really liked the car when it was running 9.50 at 145mph with stock suspension not backed haved and full interior. The car on the street use to make my heart race like nuts when you got on it i was scared but wanted more, i would come home with a smile from a$$ to ear. It was a true street car but my greed for speed ruined a great car and made a trailor queen, weekend warrior which was not fast as a race car and not good as a street car. Hopefully i don't ruin my viper like that, but reading alot of postings is getting me crazy again.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,
That has to be a 7 sec car. Good god is that thing fast. You almost got me going for a second there. I was wondering what I am doing wrong down here in Savannah!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya