Hey all.

Where is the best place to buy gears?

Also quality wise, is a gear a gear?

Thanks

Looki

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard of one case of a bad set from Unitrax from a reputable source. That had to be returned for replacement as they couldn't be installed. But Unitrax otherwise seems to be the set to buy.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unitrax for me -- complete assembly -- 3.45s. 50,000 miles on them so far with several track sessions in the mix. There's also a Roe blower adding a little strain to the parts the last 30K miles.

No issues whatsoever.

Steve

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gears are definitely different. Some are cryo treated, some from old stock, some with known weaknesses.

Jon from Parts Rack is just across the border from Canada. Can probably handle shipping to Canada easily.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard of one case of a bad set from Unitrax from a reputable source. That had to be returned for replacement as they couldn't be installed. But Unitrax otherwise seems to be the set to buy.

Yep, also happened to a local Viper owner here as well but Unitrax came through in the end. Although, I've asked many times on this forum and eventually gave up finding the answer...what's the difference between the Dana 44HD gears and Unitrax gears...besides Unitrax being cryo'd?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although, I've asked many times on this forum and eventually gave up finding the answer...what's the difference between the Dana 44HD gears and Unitrax gears...besides Unitrax being cryo'd?

Tony... It's tied to the Vipair mystery. Both those answers are buried in the same box that car enthusiasts have been searching for years to find! I've told Chad to keep an eye out for folded documents in orange spandex, but I say we meet at ******'s pronto to discuss this. I mean, can you imagine if the Vette guys find our secrets FIRST? :lmao:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony... It's tied to the Vipair mystery. Both those answers are buried in the same box that car enthusiasts have been searching for years to find! I've told Chad to keep an eye out for folded documents in orange spandex, but I say we meet at ******'s pronto to discuss this. I mean, can you imagine if the Vette guys find our secrets FIRST? :lmao:

LOL...but seriously, I mean Dana makes the gears...and the diff. You'd think that having the OEM gears in their diff is a good thing you know as they make both. They make gears for their own diff. It's gotta be good right? :confused:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stick with stock (Dana) whenever I can. I really don't buy into the treated hype.

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The super 44 gear set from Dana is the best to use but it requires the rear cover to be modified on pre 96 Vipers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets