Best Radar Detectors?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m new to this forum but wanted to hear a few opinions and comments about radar detectors anyone might already own or claim to be the best; whether it’s from personal experience or if you researched them at all?

I live in New England, actually a part of MA that is 5 minutes from NH. I go to RI and sometimes CT too; so I’m not sure if certain Radar Detectors work best in certain areas so I thought I’d just throw that out there. Anyways, I'm looking at 2 Viper GTS’s at the moment and will most likely buy either of them within a month unless I find a better deal in the mean time.(So if anyone is selling a GTS from 1996-2002 with good miles and a price in the low 40s let me know ;)) I don't plan on speeding; although I might have some fun once in awhile haha- but I would assume generally in either city driving or highway driving even if I'm going the same speed as everyone else or slightly over I will be picked out by the cops more then any other car obviously because of my car choice. So I thought investing in a Radar Detector would be in my best interest just in case.

From reading a lot of reviews and information on several Radar Detectors these three were proven the very best: Valentine One, ****** Passport 9500i, Beltronics STi Driver.

Do you all agree on any of these three being the best buy or have any other suggestions on perhaps something better?

Also, are Laser Jammers worth the money to go along with the Radar Detector?

Any information would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks ;)
Anthony

Last edited:

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
V1

After I had my V1 for 3 years, I started having problems with it, so I sent it in. The warranty is 1 year on it, however they fixed it, updated it, and recalibrated it all for free.

#1 customer service.........

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1 now days. Never obsolete, can be upgraded at any time in the future. New firmware and electronics get rid of much of the false positives they experienced in the past.

I have BELL and ******, I like my new V1's the best, and they'll never have to be replaced for being obsolete or even broken.

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my V1 for many years. Works great without cleaning out your wallet.
K40 is the best but will set you back almost 2k installed. and they have to drill holes somewhere in the car to put the hidden leds for warring you.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my V1 for many years. Works great without cleaning out your wallet.
K40 is the best but will set you back almost 2k installed. and they have to drill holes somewhere in the car to put the hidden leds for warring you.

So do you use the Valentine One Concealed Display Kit? If not, is that worth buying with the V1?:confused:

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get it. Cost for it is small compaired to the unit price. My father took it from me a little while back so am not using it right now. I have my badge and PBA cards to get me out of tickets, I hope. LOL

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a hidden Passport SRX unit with the jammers and it's perfect. Haven't seen a V1 here in Western Canada, but I have seen the scramblers of the SRX hidden in about 4 Vipers in this area. The SRX's are always mounted in the Vipers that run at the front of the pack.

There are three detection/scrambler units mounted in the front grille and a thin bar that mounts to the license plate screws in the rear.

I paid $800 and did the instal myself (5 hrs). It have ext. audio, LED and visual display. I've been educating the cops that it's a safety device since it has 65 safety messages. I've noticed that the only REAL Road Construction sites have radar emitters (that display on my SRX) and if there's no radar signal - the signs are just BS/no construction. I also receive road closed, ambulance and firetruck messages. So far I haven't received a ticket in my Viper - only my Stealth TT with my Bell detector.

So far the cops are impressed but, maybe not enough?

Ted

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a hidden Passport SRX unit with the jammers and it's perfect. Haven't seen a V1 here in Western Canada, but I have seen the scramblers of the SRX hidden in about 4 Vipers in this area. The SRX's are always mounted in the Vipers that run at the front of the pack.

There are three detection/scrambler units mounted in the front grille and a thin bar that mounts to the license plate screws in the rear.

I paid $800 and did the instal myself (5 hrs). It have ext. audio, LED and visual display. I've been educating the cops that it's a safety device since it has 65 safety messages. I've noticed that the only REAL Road Construction sites have radar emitters (that display on my SRX) and if there's no radar signal - the signs are just BS/no construction. I also receive road closed, ambulance and firetruck messages. So far I haven't received a ticket in my Viper - only my Stealth TT with my Bell detector.

Ted

Damn.. that's expensive haha, I just looked it up and found this... sounds pretty awesome! :2tu:

---------------------------------------------------------------
-This Thing Is Expensive, Is It Worth The Money?-
*The ****** Passport SRX costs $1,500 for the normal unit, and $1,600 for the hidden unit. If you live in a state where radar detectors are illegal, then you should go with the hidden unit. However, if you live in a state where detectors are legal, you should buy the $1,500 model. The ****** Passport SRX is a few hundred dollars more than the ****** Passport SR7 which costs $1,100. The major difference is the fact that the ****** Passport SRX has laser shifters, while the ****** Passport SR7 does not. The ****** Passport SRX is worth it over the ****** Passport SR7, because it only takes on laser ticket to spoil your day! If you're really a lead footed driver and have a passionate hatred towards tickets, you should buy the ****** Passport SRX. However, if you speed occassionaly, or simply don't want to be spending $1,500 for a radar detector, then you should buy something like a Valentine One which offers unbelievable protection for only $400.

-Fighting Against The Cops-
*The ****** Passport SRX is an excellent tool against fighting cops who wish to give you speeding tickets. The base model, which isn't hidden costs $1,500. The hidden unit costs an extra $100. However, a hidden display is your only form of protection against from cops in states where radar detectors are illegal.

The feature that really sets the ****** Passport SRX apart from the SR7 and many other detectors is the fact that it has a laser shifting system. In reality, it's a jammer, but ****** prefers to call it a 'shifter'.

The ****** Passport SRX obviously includes a radar that is strong in sensitivity, and has a nice easy to read LED. However, one thing that I wished that the ****** Passport SRX had was arrows like the Valentine One has. The Valentine One is $1,100 cheaper, and arrows make a big difference for many drivers. If I were a resident of a state where detectors were illegal, I'd still want arrows! They really help in showing where the cops are, and the bogey counter in the Valentine One helps avoid speed traps. Well, other than that, the ****** Passport SRX still does what it's supposed to do very efficiently.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Too bad it doesn't have the arrows like the V1.. :(

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From reading a lot of reviews and information on several Radar Detectors these three were proven the very best: Valentine One, ****** Passport 9500i, Beltronics STi Driver.

Anthony

This is Correct when it comes to overall status including BS features.
Comparing just Detection Range of those to any one of the new Beltronics models will give you comperable detection range. This is due to the Fact that the Bel940,955,965,995,rx65 All use the Same 'M4'horn/electronics as the 9500i. (Beltronics&****** are the same co.) Yes i know on there website it says they have diff detection range (6x,8x,10x) but this is just BS marketing to make more money off the more expensive units. To prove this test were done, it used to be just the "TopEnd" models being tested, but in the latest 2007 tests they threw in the cheapest bell the 940, and it actually detected a hair better on a couple of frequencys then the higher models simply due to manufacturing variances. haha

So if great detection is all you want, then i suggest saving the $ and getting the 955, it has the range, and some nice features that are actualy benificial.

Hope this helps
(I am a longtime member of a coupleradar detector forums and try to stay on top ofthe technology.)

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1....the remote display just moves the display elsewhere...but you still need the V1 mounted on the windshield. But...it keeps the unit from lighting up and letting everyone know it';s up there. It has front and rear antennas that need to "see" out.

In the Cobra, I mounted the V1 above the inside rear view mirror and put the display in the console. From outside, you can't tell the V1 is there.

You must be registered for see images attach

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with a valentine unless you live in a state where they are illegal, then get the bel STi, as for a laser jammers, get a laser interceptor, do a search here, I have videos posted. The ****** works great against newer lidar guns but ***** bad against older ones, I'm a cop and have tired almost ever gun out there.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1....the remote display just moves the display elsewhere...but you still need the V1 mounted on the windshield. But...it keeps the unit from lighting up and letting everyone know it';s up there. It has front and rear antennas that need to "see" out.

In the Cobra, I mounted the V1 above the inside rear view mirror and put the display in the console. From outside, you can't tell the V1 is there.

I would get it. Cost for it is small compaired to the unit price. My father took it from me a little while back so am not using it right now. I have my badge and PBA cards to get me out of tickets, I hope. LOL

Wait- I'm a little confused... so would I need to buy both the actual Valentine One unit that cost like $500 and the Valentine One Concealed Display Kit that I think someone said cost like $40? Do they both work together or do you just buy one or the other? :confused:

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need both, the remote display is just that, a remote display that plugs into the V1

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need both, the remote display is just that, a remote display that plugs into the V1

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me. So far it seems like everyone on this forum along with a ton of other reviews I've read on websites say hands down the V1 is the best, with ****** and Beltronics being a close 2nd or each one having their own personal best pros and cons. Therefore, I guess in the long run it all relies on personal preference and one's own personal experience using them... :smirk:

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did he say he was looking for a excellent condition Viper (96-02) with Low miles in the Low 40's ?
WOW!!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did he say he was looking for a excellent condition Viper (96-02) with Low miles in the Low 40's ?
WOW!!

Yes I did...

I've already found several; 2 at the moment are possible buys.. like I said- I'm keeping my options open.. :2tu:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, if I had known that my PBA card would help me get out of tickets, I would not have retired from the PBA (Professional Bowlers Association) :D

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the ****** 9500i with GPS. It mounts under my mirror and works fantastic. The gps function is fantastic and practical. I almost went with the valentine because of reputation but just couldn't stand the stone age box look. The thing looks like it came off the set of spaceballs or some old star trek show. Anyway I have never been suprised yet by a cop since owning it. You can see it here in the photo below:2tu:

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the ****** 9500i with GPS. It mounts under my mirror and works fantastic. The gps function is fantastic and practical. I almost went with the valentine because of reputation but just couldn't stand the stone age box look. The thing looks like it came off the set of spaceballs or some old star trek show. Anyway I have never been suprised yet by a cop since owning it. You can see it here in the photo below:2tu:

Is that a MGW First Strike shifter knob ;)

I was thinking of getting the MGW Gripper shift knob :D

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer....yep, the pic I posted is the V1 remote display in my '03 Cobra. I don;t think I have used the V1 more than once of twice in the GTS...it's rarely on the highway.

This is where the V1 is mounted in Cobra to give an idea as to where it is. (The pic was taken to show the Scan Gauge, but the V1 is visible.)

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ted

So I went to Tweeter yesterday and they told me the V1 was good but the new ****** 9500i was definitely better; especially being GPS-powered as well. They also spoke highly of either the SRX or it was the SR7.. one of the guys actually had that on his car and was showing me where he mounted it above his license plate and obviously I couldnt see where it was mounted in the front since it was hidden under the bumper. Is there anyone else who has either of these radar detectors then the two people above I quoted? It seems like 90% of the people on here sport the V1 on their cars :D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I went to Tweeter yesterday and they told me the V1 was good but the new ****** 9500i was definitely better; especially being GPS-powered as well. They also spoke highly of either the SRX or it was the SR7.. one of the guys actually had that on his car and was showing me where he mounted it above his license plate and obviously I couldnt see where it was mounted in the front since it was hidden under the bumper. Is there anyone else who has either of these radar detectors then the two people above I quoted? It seems like 90% of the people on here sport the V1 on their cars :D

If Tweeter sold V1s, their opinions might have been different. I know I cant say the V1 is definately better like he said the ****** was. Does he have both of them?

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Tweeter sold V1s, their opinions might have been different. I know I cant say the V1 is definately better like he said the ****** was. Does he have both of them?

Yea I was thinking the exact same thing since they don't carry the V1.. I talked to two of the sales people working there and each of them had one of the new ****** models and they told me that they both worked very well from their own personal experiences using them. They said the V1's were pretty good- considering they had the arrows.. but overall the newer ****** models proved to be better considering it was a very nice upgrade to have GPS with the 9500i also.. I've been leaning towards that one myself unless I feel like spending more and getting the custom install for the SRX or SR7.. forget which one they carried.. :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang