Best way to spend $50k?

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some really good deals on vipers to be found. I bought my 99 ACR in October and got a REALLY good deal, all stock with 3400 miles (boughtin Mountain View). the 97 rt-10 for sale in the classifieds NOW for 43K with 23K miles on it is a probably a really good deal considering its scarcity ( Gen II, Gen I hood, < 100 built that year).

Modifications should not be considered a bad thing, in particular, exhaust systems. The stock exhaust really sounds weak, and is the first thing most owners modify. I have still not done mine as i'm not sure whether i what to go with headers or not, but it will happen sometime soon.

Vipers before 95 or 96 had head gasket problems you should be aware of not to mention no windows. As Gerald mentioned you can put side pipes on any car. If you are interested in a driving experience consider coming down to Santa Cruz and we can go for a spin. Also, check out the viper club meeting in Campbell (near Los Gatos), it's generally worth it. about 20 cars show up from my experience. There is info on this site about meetings. They are the 1st tuesday of the month.

see http://www.thomasser.org/viper for differences from year to year and some other info.

Jason

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with a Gen II. You live in climate that one day ,you will wish you had windows! ( Rain, Fog ect.)Come down to So Cal and you need no top 300+ days a year!
Convert gen II to side pipes.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark - Jason has the right idea - come on down to our next meeting, first Tuesday in April. Ted May, our local Viper Tech will be there and he has forgotten more about Vipers than most of us know.

Go slow - be patient, do you homework before you make your first buy. Once you've spent the money, its gone and you could have bought yourself a bucket of problems if you jump into a deal too quick.

There is always the perfect car for you out there and prices are very soft right now so you have choices that some of us never had even a year ago.

Remember, this is going to be a "love affair" - pick the right partner.

Great bunch of guys and gals at the club - any one of them will be happy to help you out.

We welcome future owners to our meetings - dinner is $20
Advise - no charge

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About a month ago I was in Monterey. There's a 98 Red viper
with 1400 miles ( if I remember right ) that the guy said he
wanted $55K for. I'd go there and check out the car and If you
liked it offer him $50K on the spot and drive away happy.

I don't remember the name of the dealer but if you just want to
make a drive down there for lunch or something....

I can tell you how to get there. Coming from the north
into Monterey, going to the marina, the road goes down to the
beach and you have to turn left at the marina. Where you have
to turn left the dealer is also on the left corner there. The
Viper is setting in the front lot. I checked the car out for
cosmetics and it was perfect inside and outside, No Mods done
to the car.

Hope this helps, sorry I'd run over there to find the dealer name for you but I live in Dallas...

tpiini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't remember the name of the dealership in Monterey, but it's one of those "for sale by owner" type consignment lots. I too looked at that particular GTS about a month ago. It definitely looked nice. BUUUUUTTTTT, about two weeks ago I drove by the lot and there was a huge "RENT ME" sign on the Viper's windshield. For my money, all bets on THAT car were then and there OFF. tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth Geyer