Best wheel design

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, you guys are right. The full faced is more of a luxury car wheel. Who has the baddest deep dish wheel?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I saw this comment, it really surprised me. so I emailed HRE. I received a response with hours from the Chief Operating Officer ar HRE.

The incident in question was not even an HRE rim. See his comments below.

Tom

Thanks for contacting us. What you’re hearing most likely stems from an Audi post forum a couple years ago that was found to be untrue after I spoke w/ Viper Racing League officials. Here’s our official response. If you have any concerns or are just interested in more info, please contact me directly. I will be more than happy to discuss it w/ you further. 760-845-1517.

In a post made in AudiWorld.com on June 5, 2005, a number of accusations were made regarding HRE’s products. The content of this original thread has been posted on a number of forums and raised questions regarding the use of our wheels in race conditions, the overall quality of our products and the integrity of our company. Also included in these posts was the statement that HRE wheels are banned from VRL, PCA and IMSA and included photos of a broken wheel that is NOT an HRE wheel. When this thread surfaced, HRE took it very seriously and after considerable investigation into the alleged failures and contacting these organizations regarding the supposed bans, HRE learned that this information was false. If anyone would like further information regarding this issue or if anyone has any concerns about the race worthiness or quality of their HRE wheels, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. As chief engineer for HRE I am intimately aware of the technical issues surrounding the design and construction of our wheels and the challenges posed by racing and street use. I will address each and every one of your concerns personally.

Sincerely,

Alan Peltier

http://www.hrewheels.com/gallery.html

Select Dodge and you will see some wheels on Vipers.

Also, I-forged are very nice. HRE's arent allowed on some race tracks, so if you plan on tracking you may want another wheel. Check out there gallery.

http://www.iforged.com/showroom/main.php

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just called Viper days, she said didnt think HRE's are allowed, is going to have tech guy call me.
I know rumors spread quick and sometimes are only half true, but do ou think HRE is going to tell you "Our rims break, dont go to track with them"
They blatanly lied to ILLSMOQ when he sent his wheels in for warranty repair,said they refinished all the wheels for peeling, yet only did one, he sent them back, only got two done, now he has mismatched colored centers.etc etc, I love the look, but im looking at other alternatives such as I-forged. Go to the alley, theres huge HRE ***** threads.

Ive been to 3 seperate track events where they would not allow guys with HRE's to run. From Porsche to Audi's. So if you truly plan to track your car, you may want to look at other options. If your just going to your local dragstrip or friendly track day,they may not pay attention.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven both Limerock and Pocono this year with the HREs.

While I get your point, I wouldnt necesarily assume poor customer service in a situation equates to poor products.

the letter he forwarded me was the letter they wrote Viper Racing League Officials. He mentioned he later spoke to them and discovered it was a misunderstanding.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just called Viper days, she said didnt think HRE's are allowed, is going to have tech guy call me.
I know rumors spread quick and sometimes are only half true, but do ou think HRE is going to tell you "Our rims break, dont go to track with them"
They blatanly lied to ILLSMOQ when he sent his wheels in for warranty repair,said they refinished all the wheels for peeling, yet only did one, he sent them back, only got two done, now he has mismatched colored centers.etc etc, I love the look, but im looking at other alternatives such as I-forged. Go to the alley, theres huge HRE ***** threads.
Ive been to 3 seperate track events where they would not allow guys with HRE's to run. From Porsche to Audi's. So if you truly plan to track your car, you may want to look at other options. If your just going to your local dragstrip or friendly track day,they may not pay attention.

Then again, what would you expect from the Alley?? :rolleyes: They say everything and everyBODY *****~~~~:rolleyes: . Agree that I-forged also (powder-coated BLACK though!) would look great on our BLACK Vipers. Black on black...yep!! ~juli
That's MikeR for ya, he checks these things out~~thank you, Mike!

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And worse case, save your stockers and get some good tires on them for the track. Id just hate to see someone drop $6k for HREs/tires and go to a track and be denied. Your going to find better tires choices anyways in 18 or 19"
And if this all turns out to be a big misunderstanding, then we can all go out and buy HRE's, go to the nearset track, hug and put HRE banners everywhere. :D

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny stuff.

I wil mention that the stockers **** period. They are too heavy with runflats or not. You can get some rather cheap, real light set of rims for serious track use. for my two events a year, i am going to stick with the HREs and Pirellis. Traction is great and much lighter then stock.

I'll start putting together the banners...

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funny stuff.

I wil mention that the stockers **** period. They are too heavy with runflats or not. You can get some rather cheap, real light set of rims for serious track use. for my two events a year, i am going to stick with the HREs and Pirellis. Traction is great and much lighter then stock.

I'll start putting together the banners...

Nader, are your HRE's with tires, lighter then my Copperhead wheels and PS2's. Ive been curious if I'll get any real savings, but I would move up to a 19/20, which may be heavier. I know my wheels are light, maybe I'll bug ILLSMOQ to pull one of his and one of mine off and weigh them. Curious if you know.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't care for the look of polished 3-piece wheels -- if I go 3-piece, I want a different finish on the center of the wheel, but I won't go with painted/powder-coated centers again -- they are too easy to chip around the lug holes, I prefer anodized centers

I wish I could find a good wheel with a 'gun metal' (not black) anodized center

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure, especially if you are still running runflats. When i changes the rims and tires, I picked up each side by side and I would estimate the weight difference around 15 pounds per rear tire.

Nader, are your HRE's with tires, lighter then my Copperhead wheels and PS2's. Ive been curious if I'll get any real savings, but I would move up to a 19/20, which may be heavier. I know my wheels are light, maybe I'll bug ILLSMOQ to pull one of his and one of mine off and weigh them. Curious if you know.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Copperhead wheels are likely the best value in 18 / 19 inch rims for our cars. Call JonB for more info. I think he has blems or other "non polished" alternatives for those of us that don't want fully polished.

With the new 19 inch PS2's and Hoosiers now available in 19's, Copperheads would be a good combination for the track / street.

SSR comps are also a very good set of wheels for the track. Again, check with Jon B.

On the subject of HRE wheels, there have been many rumors. I know that Viper days will allow HRE's racing wheels, I have a set and they are very good looking six spokes that are much lighter than stock. I have now run my HRE's for over 6000 miles on my 925 rwhp Paxton SRT-10 without any issues. These 18 / 18 HRE race wheels are actually a bit lighter than the Copperheads.

I don't think that Viper Days will allow HRE's standard wheels with sticky tires (like Hoosiers), but I'll email Skip Thomas when I finish this post and let you know.

For the street, it's nice that we have so many choices.

On a black car, I'd go with full polish (pretty) or polished lip / black center (mean). I agree that five spokes seem to be everywhere, so I went with 6 spokes and 10 spokes.

Dan:usa:

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly how much does the stock tire-wheel combo weigh? I agree w/ Nader w/ going to the lighter wheels and tires, and the concept behind MikeR's Copperhead Viper lighter wheels. I definitely want to lose the rotational mass. But I need the stock weights to compare my choices to.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he sent them back, only got two done, now he has mismatched colored centers.etc etc.

um....do you think I would roll on a set of HRE's with different colored centers?...yeeeeeeNO!

Yeah they lied to me and yeah it was a pain in the ass but they finally re-powdercoated all four of the wheels and there is no mismatch with the color. I even got them to polish out the inside of the wheels for my troubles

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care for the look of polished 3-piece wheels -- if I go 3-piece, I want a different finish on the center of the wheel, but I won't go with painted/powder-coated centers again -- they are too easy to chip around the lug holes, I prefer anodized centers

I wish I could find a good wheel with a 'gun metal' (not black) anodized center

You might consider the brushed/clearcoated finish then. Here is a pic of the iForged Astra wheels on my '67 Camaro. I agree about painted wheels being easy to scratch/chip, I prefer powdercoated centers for their durability.

You must be registered for see images

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These Black Astras would look sick on a Black Car. BJ Motors has them (804) 784-7208

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These Black Astras would look sick on a Black Car. BJ Motors has them (804) 784-7208

THAT's what I'm talking about!!!!:2tu: YESSSS...and none of the flat middle, need to see those calipers!!! Thanx Greg! ~juli

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermann - Are these what your looking for? BJ Motors has them. (804) 784-7208
You must be registered for see images attach

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have a set of Forgeline SX3R's (predecessor to the ZX3R) with polished rims and black powdercoated centers. These look really mean on my black SRT-10.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of Forgeline SX3R's (predecessor to the ZX3R) with polished rims and black powdercoated centers. These look really mean on my black SRT-10.

Would love to see pics...any BLACK powder-coated centers even with polished rims would look BADASP on our BLACK SRT's....!! ~juli

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh, Holy Chr*st! If you think iForged is the answer, you have another think coming! I have iForged both on my Viper and my Mercedes and have had horrible experience with defects, outright fraud, and piss poor warranty service and even refusal to repair under warranty. It's detailed on my website (www.classicsupra.com) - read it before buying iforged! I will NEVER buy iForged again...

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly how much does the stock tire-wheel combo weigh? I agree w/ Nader w/ going to the lighter wheels and tires, and the concept behind MikeR's Copperhead Viper lighter wheels. I definitely want to lose the rotational mass. But I need the stock weights to compare my choices to.

I weighed mine before and after:

Original FE rims and run flat tires:
Rear 70.5#, front 58#.

Replaced with iForged aero's in 19" front and 20" rear with non-run flat PS2 tires.

New weight:
Rear 66#, front 53.5#.

So, a 4.5 pound weight savings per corner, despite chrome and going up +1 in size. In my opinion, the rims weigh more, but more than offset by going away from run-flat tires.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, I ordered a set of Sidewinder "blem" wheels (silver painted, not polished) in the OEM 18'' and 19'' sizes from Partsrack. Using a bathroom scale I weighed the front 18'' rims at 17.5 lbs and the 19'' rears at 25 lbs each.

This was obviuosly without tires and TPMS sensors and related hardware (center caps and lugs).

/Rich