Better buy your Viper now....

Reaction score
Let's face it, no ones buying cars, or anything else is this economic environment.

Do you remember when we kept hearing from the big 3 that no one would buy a car from a company in bankruptcy, but what would happen if one of them went under, would you buy a car from a company that closed its doors?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought the '08 Viper.

Question is, should I bother to buy the extended warranty?:dunno:

I would say yes. It looks very likely by what the GK says that Viper will be sold to a new buyer. If that is the case warranty and parts will be covered/transfered as responsibily of the new owner. As there would be a new owner, it thus gives you warranty, even if Chrysler were to.....to......I can't say it! :crying:

Robert

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw this movie. It was cute. A little chicken, a big fat chicken and a ugly girl chicken trying to save that little fuzzy alien and get it back to its parents before they obliterated the town... Pixar rocks.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's face it, no ones buying cars, or anything else is this economic environment.

Do you remember when we kept hearing from the big 3 that no one would buy a car from a company in bankruptcy, but what would happen if one of them went under, would you buy a car from a company that closed its doors?

I would buy a car from a company that closed its doors if the car is a Dodge and it was at major discount price. I could handle paying for service for something like that.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Warranties are an insurance product and covered by an outside supplier with contract to Chrysler. There is no issue there, and the contract would still be covered by said source and there should be no problems. I got one on my 04, and there are no concerns.

Would suggest anyone wanting a serv. contract, which I do recommend, just get it and not worry.

If someone does buy out the Viper line, it would be one of the contractual guarantees in the purchase to honor current warranty programs. Just think of the companies that have been bought out or purchased recently and the manufacturers warranty goes right along with the buy ----heck, just think of Daimler - Chrysler in years past ( no change ).

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw this movie. It was cute. A little chicken, a big fat chicken and a ugly girl chicken trying to save that little fuzzy alien and get it back to its parents before they obliterated the town... Pixar rocks.

It wasn't an ugly girl chicken...it was an ugly duckling. :D

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warranties are an insurance product and covered by an outside supplier with contract to Chrysler. There is no issue there, and the contract would still be covered by said source and there should be no problems. I got one on my 04, and there are no concerns.

Would suggest anyone wanting a serv. contract, which I do recommend, just get it and not worry.

If someone does buy out the Viper line, it would be one of the contractual guarantees in the purchase to honor current warranty programs. Just think of the companies that have been bought out or purchased recently and the manufacturers warranty goes right along with the buy ----heck, just think of Daimler - Chrysler in years past ( no change ).

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

Hey Bill,
hypothetical for ya. What if Chrysler does go under, Viper line dies. Warranty work is needed, would that warranty company pay another service center(Ford, independent etc.)?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daimler bought Chrysler and the warranty continued.

Cerebus bought Chrysler and the warranty continued.

If Chrysler just goes under, then all bets are off, but probably will be a way to work out the warranty service issues especially in Bankruptcy.

In China when you buy a car, you have no warranty at all. In most countries the price of the expected warranty service is rolled into the price of the car.

I would expect cars to be slightly cheaper if the warranty is in doubt, even cheaper if it in non existant.

At the current discounted prices for new and used Vipers, I would suspect the savings are far more than the potential loss of warranty.

It would be great if we could get both the lower prices and warranty, but part of the reason for the lower prices is the worry quotient.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excactly, if Chrysler/Dodge went into bankruptcy and closed its doors, who are you going to find to honor the Chrysler factory and extended warranties. It is my understanding that only factory authorized dealers can do warranty work, you can't take your car to Pep Boys or or Joe Schmoe's automotive and expect them to fix your 'under warranty' car for free. Ford or Chevy Dealerships would need to have their tech's trained and certified on Chrysler vehicles, and they are not going to foot the bill for that, when their own franchises are in the shape they are with the economy being what it is.
It could be a mess for sure.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excactly, if Chrysler/Dodge went into bankruptcy and closed its doors, who are you going to find to honor the Chrysler factory and extended warranties. It is my understanding that only factory authorized dealers can do warranty work, you can't take your car to Pep Boys or or Joe Schmoe's automotive and expect them to fix your 'under warranty' car for free.

Playing Devil's advocate, why not? If the warranty company is not part of Chrysler/Dodge, they could conceivably pay any compentent person to work on it, with only parts availability being an issue.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. If the market is acting efficiently, it is already discounting the price of the car by the approximate probability of the worst case scenario for Chrysler. This is one of the reasons the prices for regular Vipers have dropped. The ACR, a far more limited availability vehicle, is holding its price better.

2. Hundreds of thousands of cars are sold each year without a warranty including old muscle cars that sell for far more than most new cars.

3. If Chrysler did crap out, many Vipers, including the '09s, would undoubtedly be collectors pieces down the road.

4. Anyone worried about the financial benefit of a warranty that might run into difficulties should perhaps reconsider whether they have the resources and liquidity to buy the car.

5. Some of the other high performance cars come with warranties that are so strictly interpretted by the issuer that for all practical spirited driving purposes the warranty is worthless.

6. Each of us has a finite time on this earth. Of that time, there is a smaller period when we are able to enjoy the wonderful sensory experience called "VIPER". A person can indulge in ********** behavior and do nothing or realize there may never be a tomorrow and seize the day.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact is major automotive companies have gone out of business over the years...think American Motors,Kaiser, British Leyland (MG/Triump)etc. Those manufactures I believe shut down completely and were never really bought, other than maybe the name. There were hundreds of small automotive builders that failed in the twenties and thirties...big name companies, many folding during the Great Depression era...where we could be heading. The biggest problem besides the overall economy will be parts for these car down the road. Yes most of these parts are made by outside sources but will those companies survive without the regular volume production orders? Todays cars are expensive to build...who will step up to supply specialty parts for a low volume car like a Viper? You think parts are expensive now...that fact alone will either make the cars cheap to buy (who wants a car with expensive replacement parts) or expensive due to being expensive to fix and somewhat rare.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact is major automotive companies have gone out of business over the years...think American Motors,Kaiser, British Leyland (MG/Triump)etc. Those manufactures I believe shut down completely and were never really bought, other than maybe the name.

AMC was purchased by Chrysler, not just in name.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. If the market is acting efficiently, it is already discounting the price of the car by the approximate probability of the worst case scenario for Chrysler. This is one of the reasons the prices for regular Vipers have dropped. The ACR, a far more limited availability vehicle, is holding its price better.

2. Hundreds of thousands of cars are sold each year without a warranty including old muscle cars that sell for far more than most new cars.

3. If Chrysler did crap out, many Vipers, including the '09s, would undoubtedly be collectors pieces down the road.

4. Anyone worried about the financial benefit of a warranty that might run into difficulties should perhaps reconsider whether they have the resources and liquidity to buy the car.

5. Some of the other high performance cars come with warranties that are so strictly interpretted by the issuer that for all practical spirited driving purposes the warranty is worthless.

6. Each of us has a finite time on this earth. Of that time, there is a smaller period when we are able to enjoy the wonderful sensory experience called "VIPER". A person can indulge in ********** behavior and do nothing or realize there may never be a tomorrow and seize the day.

good points & perspective Bob

thanks

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

Wow, that is sticking your neck out. And, I would not count on "contractural guarantees" of a contract that does not yet exist. I will say that if a car company should take Ch. 11 one of the first things its lawyers would do is petition the court to have warranties honored and it would likely be granted.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there will be plenty of under 500 mile 08 and 09 vipers for many years to come to be had,just pull out ur wallet?

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update Jan 12

Chrysler starts to seek concessions necessary for recovery plan | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Chrysler also continues to identify non-earning assets and says there are potential buyers for the Viper brand. Nardelli said he wants it sold to someone who will preserve its heritage and continue to support the Viper enthusiast club. "It's not a fire sale," Nardelli said.

and, separately, from:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20090112/ANA02/901119921/1115

Executives reiterated that the company doesn't need an alliance to survive. The $4 billion federal bridge loan granted by President George W. Bush is sufficient for now, even in a dramatically shrinking market, executives said. Industrywide U.S. sales dropped 18 percent last year to a 16-year low and are projected by analysts and executives to fall again in 2009.

So, good news for the Viper!

Reaction score
I just can't see there being too many buyers right now in this environment looking to buy another nameplate as famous as the Viper. Furthermore, I don't see Dodge coming back anytime soon to build more Vipers either.

Too much talk in Detroit is about hybrids, electrics and small cars to get too worked up over the Viper, add to that with gov't assistance and the gov't doesn't want to hear about the new viper being built, unless it a hybrid electric and gets 50 MPG.

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with $2/gal gas?

The car companies are already on that. They support raising gas taxes so that the price will be such that we will have to buy hybrids. They apparently, are not happy with the thought of us buying Vipers and Escalades, or anything else that gets less than 30 mpg. They should be happy that we are buying anything at all from them.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sure, but for how long? gas prices have been rising very fast around here again.

only because of the recent spike to near $50/bbl (think Gaza and Ukraine) now that it is back down the prices will settle back.

Also many refineries have been scaling back gasoline production, so, that squeezes prices too.

Double whammy, but, with price per barrel back down under $38 price will relax in a couple weeks or sooner.