Better SRT weight saving ideas:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge could easily and significantly improve the Viper performance with the following weight-saving measures:

Comp Coupe Alloy Flywheel ... 9 lbs. reduction (big performance gain too!)
Carbon Fiber Hood ... 15 lbs. reduction?
Eliminate cross-over exhaust ... 16 lbs. reduction?
Total savings ... 40 lbs. approx.

My guess is that Dodge could have done this to the Coupe for about $2,000 per car. This, and with a slight change in gearing, it would have beaten the Z06.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You do realize how expensive CF is don't you? And I also believe the manufacturing method is different.

Chevy did it with the 2004 CE Z06s ... keep in mind that the incremental cost of the upgrade would be partially offset by Dodge not having to produce the 'standard' hood for the car ... unlike when one of us buys a CF piece at retail prices.

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here,s how much weight I saved so far on my '03
stock srt10 weight from manufacture data 3380lbs
Roe side exhaust from stock exhaust -32lbs
Fidanza flywheel from stock flywheel -20lbs
Odyssey battery from stock battery -16lbs
Hurst shifter over stock shifter +03ozs
weight after above changes 3312lbs 3ozs
proposed future changes
Wheels sidewinder from stock 4x8lb -32lbs
Liteweight rotors prox from stock 4x6lb -24lbs
Tires when available in stock sizes 4x2lb -08lbs
weight after future changes 3248lbs 3ozs
any other ideas? eagles

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eagles, your getting down to oz's and I like that. This means your serious. Don't forget the MGW shifter, and light weight bezel, knock one full pound off the car, and you should save more than two lbs. on the tires. Stoptech rotors will save more than any on the market, about 8 per wheel. The SSR comp wheels, are the grandest of all. They weigh 19.5 each, in 18X11 size.

One more good upgrade if it would hold up is the aluminum clutch pressure plate. The cover is all aluminum. They have been around for years, and they are a great savings. Nothing comes close to a Tilton setup, but they are very expensive. They not only reduce a huge amount of rotational weight, but there diameter is very small,(center most weight).

The Hawker Oddessy battery is state of the art, but I've mentioned them for years, and few understand what they are all about.

There are many other little things that will all add up, and that's what's great they do add up.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Northwind 2" seat lowering kits saves 11 lbs left, 13 lbs right. Simply going with the single-cat direct replacements from Random Tech = ? lbs. Lightweight halfshafts?....this is getting expensive.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge could easily and significantly improve the Viper performance with the following weight-saving measures:

Comp Coupe Alloy Flywheel ... 9 lbs. reduction (big performance gain too!)
Carbon Fiber Hood ... 15 lbs. reduction?
Eliminate cross-over exhaust ... 16 lbs. reduction?
Total savings ... 40 lbs. approx.

My guess is that Dodge could have done this to the Coupe for about $2,000 per car. This, and with a slight change in gearing, it would have beaten the Z06.

Yeah, good thinking. 40 lbs. should do the trick...

Maybe you should make sure that the CD player doesn't have any CDs in it so you could take on an enzo.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out some of the new bogart street wheels, I believe they are on the 15lb range.

If you want to get nitpicky: Remove windshield washer fluid reservior. Thats usually 4-5lbs

Remove wipers, they just look fugly. If you pull the motor and all drive hardware it's somehwere between 5-6 lbs.

Remove carpet, spare tire, jack, anything like that from the trunk.

Onto getting a little more wild:
Remove plastic inner fender liners. 20-30lbs (not sure on viper spec)

Make aluminum bumper brackets. Normally good for 7-14lbs on other vehicles.

Ditch the hydraulically driven fan in favor of a 99+ 2 speed GTS fan. Drops weight as well as being more efficient.

underdrive pulley kit. Sounds silly but they do work very well and actually much better for the accessories if running for extended high rpm periods.

well we can't go giving all the secrets away but thats a good start.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yeah, good thinking. 40 lbs. should do the trick...

Maybe you should make sure that the CD player doesn't have any CDs in it so you could take on an enzo.

:laugh: Ha, well, I do have CDs, but they're only songs by attractive, skinny female singers ...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing the Gen 1 factory seats and seat tracks with an aluminum seat and fixed legs saved 41 lbs. Put in a 5-point and removed the roll-up belt boxes in the doors save another 22 lbs. Leave your Gen 1 in the rain, eventually have to throw out the stinky carpet - priceless.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check out some of the new bogart street wheels, I believe they are on the 15lb range.

If you want to get nitpicky: Remove windshield washer fluid reservior. Thats usually 4-5lbs

Remove wipers, they just look fugly. If you pull the motor and all drive hardware it's somehwere between 5-6 lbs.

Remove carpet, spare tire, jack, anything like that from the trunk.

Onto getting a little more wild:
Remove plastic inner fender liners. 20-30lbs (not sure on viper spec)

Make aluminum bumper brackets. Normally good for 7-14lbs on other vehicles.

Ditch the hydraulically driven fan in favor of a 99+ 2 speed GTS fan. Drops weight as well as being more efficient.

underdrive pulley kit. Sounds silly but they do work very well and actually much better for the accessories if running for extended high rpm periods.

well we can't go giving all the secrets away but thats a good start.

LOL, so you would end up with an ugly car that cant be driven in the rain, and overheats. I can agree with the UDPs, wheels & bumper mounts... but the other stuff is WAY overstated. Inner Viper fenders are MAYBE 10 pounds...combined.

Thanks, but no thanks. And one thing you absolutely better not ditch is the hydraulic cooling module. Less efficient than en electric? um... nope. And yes, Hydraulic is lighter too. You can have a steel fan motor full of ferrous magnets and copper wire, not to mention the copper wire needed to feed the monster and its draw on the Alternator... OR, you can have am aluminum hydraulic module that requires (4) small 20 gauge wires for control and a few aluminum/rubber oil lines, able to flow WAY more air... while drawing off the PS system, that is ALWAYS a draw anyway.

Oh- and your car wont overheat.

Can you tell I am a proponent of the Hydraulic systems?

I was slightly agitated by an political article about where I live before I wrote this...so dont take it the wrong way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery