BEWARE of Those Random Tech Cats

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had a set installed two months ago at tators and used them on an stock srt for about an easy 2000 miles. my car is toally stock and yet have to race it at the track or really beat on it. the right side cat, where the hanger is attached broke off on the passesger side. took it to chuck and he said that this would probably happen on the drivers side too because there is no flex pipe and when the motor torques up its twists everytihg. so chucks patched up the half dollar size hole while we wait for RT to send another. its been 3 over weeks and still no Cat. Little do you know the drivers side just broke off too. whats up with this? is this gonna be an on going problem? Random tech promised they warranty it but ONLY with Jon B's ( who let me tell you is great) help could this have happened. RT was trying to say that my car was modded, or installed wrong. who else makes cats for our cars??? im tired of these random tech people

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D, didn't you have a problems with RT cats on your old GenII? I thought the insides disintegrated on you at one point. I love that GenIII by the way.

- tony

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D, sorry to hear 'bout your problem, bud! How about just leaving the secondary cats out. I'm not sure how that would fare with the NY emissions testing, but you may be able to get by on the testing. I would check with the Wizard just to be sure. Good luck.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the GEN 3's engine just torque's and moves alot. Not saying that Random Tech isnt to blame ,but the Viper isnt your easy idling,revin motor. Knowing this, Random Tech should use a flex pipe in their design. I beleive Bellanger uses a fleX pipe. At any rate, my RT cats did same thing, so I removed them and went catless using stock flex pipe

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt someone recently on this site weld a flex pipe to an RT cat?

I am not sure why many go through the hassle to change the cats when the RTs only provide a few horsepower increase. As for the heat thing, I have the corsa track and stock cats no longer have any heat issues.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D, didn't you have a problems with RT cats on your old GenII? I thought the insides disintegrated on you at one point. I love that GenIII by the way.

- tony

yes they did. twice....RT is over rated...im actually tempted to switch to bellangger with flex pipe..

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my hangers have broken off both side already and been repaired. such a pain in the ass i will never buy another random tech product again...sound great with the corsa track but i don't really care at this point i just wouldn't buy from them again...viper tax + **** that breaks is no good...

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my hangers have broken off both side already and been repaired. such a pain in the ass i will never buy another random tech product again...sound great with the corsa track but i don't really care at this point i just wouldn't buy from them again...viper tax + **** that breaks is no good...

did they warranty them ?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, just great! I ordered, and am waiting the arrival my RT system that I ordered from JonB. Guess I will call him on Monday to see what is going on.

Reaction score
One thing that will help with this problem is using the urethane motor and transmission mounts to eliminate the excessive movement that is causing the breakage. This ups the cost but has other advantages also for the money spent.

Mark Jorgensen

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that will help with this problem is using the urethane motor and transmission mounts to eliminate the excessive movement that is causing the breakage. This ups the cost but has other advantages also for the money spent.

Mark Jorgensen

Mark is quite correct. I had the same problem as everyone above. I welded up the holes and left the front hangers off. I then installed the urethane engine and transmission mounts. These keep the engine from flexing. I have had zero problems in over 5000 miles.

I also agree that RT should add a flex pipe to their cats which would solve the cracking problem for those who do not want to change out their engine and transmission mounts which is a rather lengthy process.

The upside of the harder mounts is that my viper shifts more precisely and the wheel hop has gone away completely. The downside is that you will feel more engine vibration below 1500 rpm"s.

Robbie

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you compare the stock weld and the RT cat weld you will see the difference the stock cats distrubite the torque much better by being welded together at the hanger. RT are not each hanger bar is stand alone. Tie them together and it will improve.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote: "Random tech promised they warranty it but ONLY with Jon B's ( who let me tell you is great) help could this have happened. RT was trying to say that my car was modded, or installed wrong. who else makes cats for our cars??? I'm tired of these random tech people."

But the question remains what to do to get a warranty replacement and not have our vipers down at the same time. I know that Jon, Parts Rack, will warranty the cats if I remove and ship them to him. But that leaves me without the viper while he ships out new ones and until I get time to install them. Rt should be willing to make things right and ship me, and everyone else, a new set so I can do the swap the same day and not have to tie up my lift. Then I would ship the defective ones back. None of us should have to wait the 2-3 weeks that it takes to remove and ship back the defective cats to Jon who then ships them back to RT for inspection. Then RT has to ship out new ones. This is ridiculous and not a good way for RT to keep their loyal customers!

Jon,

Do you have any ideas how to expedite this matter for all of us?

Robbie

Robbie

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
random tech sent me new cats which is great but now i have to lay out $400 in labor and they are supposenly the same design which means they might snap again. Apprently I'M THE ONLY ONE this has happened to EVER and I'M The ONLY ONE complaining. all this just happens to me i guess .... time will tell once again...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
random tech sent me new cats which is great but now i have to lay out $400 in labor and they are supposenly the same design which means they might snap again. Apprently I'M THE ONLY ONE this has happened to EVER and I'M The ONLY ONE complaining. all this just happens to me i guess .... time will tell once again...

I have the same problem! Did you have to return the defective ones to RT?

Robbie

Matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my RT cats doesn´t fit. when I installed them, the clamp between the headers and the cats does no more fit. as I write jonB, he said that he can´t do anything. i wels flexpipes on these cats and then they ft. I will never buy anymore RT products!

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here you have it. after 2 months on a stock car and 2500 miles later. i wouldnt made a big deal but DO NOT tell me that Im the ONLY one this has happened too or that I'm the ONLY one complaining....this just gives me a reason to complain even more!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I have said in earlier posts I had the same problem as you. The truth is I believe that most people who installed these have had the same problem and do not want to admit it. It took my viper 2 years and 12,000 miles to break these RT Cats. I welded a patch over the holes and removed the front hanger mounts. I then replaced the engine and transmission mounts with competition poly mounts. This seems to have cured the problem. I seems that RT will warranty these through Parts rack but it does not seem worth the effort to remove them, ship them back, wait for the new ones, and then install them. I will say flat out that I feel that RT has screwed all of us and should give us a rebate in cash for all our troubles.

Robbie

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to install flex pipe in place of stright pipe at those joints? I'd imagine the flex pipe will absorb most of the 'shaking' that's causing your hangers to break loose. I don't have an SRT, yet, but I'd try the flex pipe.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the factory flex joint is just under 3"....it fits snuggly in a 3" pipe. You can add that to your RT cat system and it should eliminate the problem.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but pay labor again out of my pocket for RT's crappy design?? come on...RT should be paying for the labor dont u think?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is a picture of the B&B cats....sorry it's a bit small.

B_B1.jpg

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can buy just the cats....you may have to buy the whole system.

But yes they did them right.