BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2: Best value these days?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treadwear of 300 caught my eye.

No Kuhmos. No Nittos.

Michelin 25% more money with only 220 treadwear

I thought 17's might be cheaper, but they actually aren't (and much less selection), however, there is a $99 275/40zr17 out there.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Goodrich is the bargain tire. Pretty stickey too.

They are no where near the all round tire a Michelin Pilot Supersport is.

Not sure about how they work in rain. They have a pretty unique tread pattern. Looks pretty agressive.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The higher tread wear number is usually indicative of a less sticky tire, not necessarily a positive attribute on a Viper. They are an inexpensive alternative if all out performance isn't your goal. I'm sure they are just fine for some spirited runs as well as cruising.

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garbage tires. I have them on another car and they are mediocre in the rain.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a good tire. Had a set before on a Mustang years ago and big mistake. Most buy them because of the cool looking tread. Look at reviews on tire rack and discount tire. Not very good.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I don't know...on hot Florida days mine hooked pretty good and took a lot of abuse on the streets (rears that is). Wore out the rears finally and swapped to R1a. Still running the fronts but after a few years, did notice the fronts tended to drift a bit on hard corners. Again, it all depends on what you want your tires to do for the money you want to spend. If you drive on dry hot roads, not a bad street tire when new.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them on a C5Z and they're OK for modest street use but I don't trust them for spirited driving. Look cool though.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had them for a few years now. Not too bad for the price. I switched from the Kumho V700's for better hwy driving in the rain. They feel MUCH safer in the rain than the V700's. Not that I plan on driving in the rain, but it happens. I will say they are horrible at the strip, and just OK on spirited driving (i.e. Tail of Dragon). I will definitely go back to the good old reliable Michies next. :D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....all stand for a moment of silence in remembrance of the V700.....Man I loved those things.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had them for a few years now. Not too bad for the price. I switched from the Kumho V700's for better hwy driving in the rain. They feel MUCH safer in the rain than the V700's. Not that I plan on driving in the rain, but it happens. I will say they are horrible at the strip, and just OK on spirited driving (i.e. Tail of Dragon). I will definitely go back to the good old reliable Michies next. :D

Tail of Dragon....(!)

I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

..uh, was I typing out loud? I was momentarily overcome by a Rage of Jealousy...

Did the Nashville VOI and made a point to drive it.

THERE WERE NO OTHER VIPERS THERE! Are you kidding me? One of the most remarkable windy roads in the world and NO ONE WENT????

Anyhow, it was a total fantasy out-of-body experience for me and I totally hung out with Nadine UK like we wuz mates!

(Oh why did I use that word....)

U R a very lucky guy uvbnbit!
Tom

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We host a ToD event the weekend after Memorial Day (usually). it's grown from 4 Vipers 8yrs ago, to 50+ now. Also there is usually 10+ states represented too. I think 3 came down from PA last year. just sayin' :D

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ToD meet sounds good and glad to see people catching on. I've spent many hours scouring Gazettes looking for the curliest corkscrew roads out there - and I've ended on dirt roads a lot of the time.

So what do you actually do at one of these ToD meets? I know cops are around a lot. A attendees about to control themselves or do some go berserk (!)

R888s: There are a lot of track/DOT tires out there for a little less, but when you consider mileage, the Pilot Sports are the better value by far. I had a new 2000 GTS, did 2 Viper Days and 16k when I sold the car. The tires were nowhere near the wear bars (5 to 6/32 maybe.) Its funny, but I never got that mileage from ANY set of tires I previously owned on ANY car and I'm 61 years old.

One point about 100 treadwear tires: I've looked at a lot of Viper wrecks on line and there are cars of all years (back to 92) and the mileages range from 2k to 20k. This means ALL those cars had the original tires on them (!) 21 year old tires on a Viper is not exactly what you want. For people that simply don't drive their cars, they should run Gummy Bears! Just so they wear out before the "expiration date."

I just wish Kumho was in the picture but I'm really intrigued by the 160 treadwear Sumitomo's which are about $95 for 275/40zr17 and $150 for 315/35zr17. Talk about tiring a Viper on the cheap!

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's very organized weekend. Usually do the ToD on a friday. Includes other scenic drives, dinners, drinks (of course :D) and socializing. It's a great weekend. you can either search here Tail of the Dragon or go to the AL/TN section and find some of the threads. plenty of pics/vids I'm sure.