BIG thanks to Larry Macedo!

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past weekend Larry Macedo flew up to show me some things with the AEM and help me install a pusher fan setup on my car (way more work than I anticipated with the intercooler etc. in the way).

VERY convineint for me my driver's side door popper stopped working the day he arrived. I was positive it was the switch, but Larry said "I bet you have a broken wire in the bundle of wires leading from your door to the toe box. And it won't be just one." I said your crazy it has to be the switch (other door worked)! So after an hour of scratching my with a test light and tearing my entire door apart we finally looked into the wire bundle.

Here is what we found. No, those were not cut. They snapped perfectly from opening and closing the door for 14 years. Never argue with a guy that has been working on vipers since 1993.

door_wires.JPG

If any of you have a door popper that stops working, please take a look into this wire bundle before you tear the door all apart. We added a little extra length into the new wires we soldered in. I'm sure over time more could snap, so Its worth keeping an eye on this bundle for future bugs.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I went through the same ordeal...I suppose when they say it's a common problem then it is bound to happen to just about everyone at some point. The deal with mine was the actual wiring itself had severed inside the cladding. I wound up just cutting every wire and soldering in some new extentions. Good thing too as some wires looked fine but after I had removed them and yanked on the copper sections only half of each strand came through.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More info on the push fan install. Did you use the DC Performance push fan kit, or a simpler less expensive set up?

:usa:

Yes, I used the DC pusher fan. The large FMIC I'm running on my car made it a big job. Plus, we had to redesign the hood latch setup to work for my application. On a stock car the install would not have been a big deal.

I have a few crappy iphone pics if you are interested.

Larry recently installed one on Canal's GTS as well.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my Sapphire GTS from Ohio and it had Macedo engine and mods. After upgrading more mods and working on Larry's work, speaking with Larry and finally visiting him in Florida I also am impressed with Larry's work and help. When a 2000 Paxtonized ACR came up for sale that had been built by Larry, I called him, and eventually flew down to Arizona and bought the car. Drove it to Jasper last week (2,000 miles).

I just bought an AEM and planning on a 2.8L blower and may ask Larry to fly here to help with Tune if needed. He's a great guy and it is awesome to have a 'friend' that I can call for advice when I need it.

It's also nice that we have a few Tuners, like Macedo Motorsports, that are as reliable as Dodge!

Ted

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats ok... The DC kit is over priced and there is a similar option I am interested in exploring.

Dave6666 has a DIY version/write up somewhere.

Its not cheap by any means, but I have to give DC credit though, their brackets/hardware and components are very nice.

If you look next to my cigarette ligher, we mounted my AEM and fan switch together (aircraft switches). I chose to wire the fans so I can run them manually while the car is off. Something you can consider when you do your own setup.

fan8.JPG

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, the door is the first place I would have looked. Any time there is an electrical problem in the drivers door I go to the wire bundle. I've already soldered 4 at different times.

Do you have any pics of the fan install?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you noticed significant temps decreases? Worthwhile to give the kit a recommendation?

I do like the switch option :2tu: Good choice on the aircraft style.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, the door is the first place I would have looked. Any time there is an electrical problem in the drivers door I go to the wire bundle. I've already soldered 4 at different times.

Do you have any pics of the fan install?

LOL, I should have listened to him. I had just replaced my stancheon so I was convinced I had something pinched or the retainer clip came off the switch. When testing for power to the switch, we had none. Turned out in the door for whatever reason the factory switched the red and black wires to the switch. So when I tested the Red wire, it showed no power.:D The Red was actually the ground...

Here is a pic during install before the FMIC etc was put back on.

fan3.JPG

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you noticed significant temps decreases? Worthwhile to give the kit a recommendation?

I do like the switch option :2tu: Good choice on the aircraft style.

Thanks.

We had a cool 75 degree spell here the last couple days so my temps never warranted turning the fans on yet. They do move a lot of air though.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry is the Shiznet!!!! :2tu:

Hey Iann, with all the cool weather you guys are having, did you get a chance to take it to the track?

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry is the Shiznet!!!! :2tu:

Hey Iann, with all the cool weather you guys are having, did you get a chance to take it to the track?

No, I wish I could have. Between work, kids, and all the rain we have been having, the summer is starting to fly by.:(

Since I added the Stoptech's, I only have street tires right now. I have a big learning curve a head of me.

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how did the tuning/AEM instruction go ?

:rolaugh: Way beyond my skill.

The tune was great, I just wanted to learn how to log and we did bring the idle down a notch. When he started to explain things to me my eyes glazed over...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolaugh: Way beyond my skill.

The tune was great, I just wanted to learn how to log and we did bring the idle down a notch. When he started to explain things to me my eyes glazed over...

lol, thats exactly how i felt the one time i considered that tuning stuff. forget it, leave it to the pro's.. :)