Blown motor and Paxton

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody with a paxton blown there motor and messed up the supercharger?

Is it possible that broken parts could be shot into the supercharger?

If so, is there a way to protect the supercharger from this?

Joe

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the S/C is before the motor so im pretty sure parts wont go in the s/c and hurt it. but i guess thru the oil line it could potentially do damage. and a filter on the oil line would likely be a restriction. (not good either)

but im not an expert

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe

i suppose it would depend on what is broke and where. can you go into more detail? sounds like you broke the motor? if that is the case, then your SC might be ok. more details pleae.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they use the same oil reservoir and the failure was gradual (metal shards and shavings fall into the pan, get sucked up and pumped into the supercharger). I know some of the blowers like the whipple and magnuson blowers have their own oil reservoir, so they wouldn't be affected.

Regards,
Aaron

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Roe ever comes out for the Gen III, that will be the way to go, but I would not own a S/C Gen III without upgrading the rods/pistons!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe

It sounds like you are planning to blow up the engine and just want to know what to expect to replace?!? :dunno:

Reaction score
There is an inline oil filter on the pressure side fitting of the Paxton blower that needs to be checked every other oil change. I doubt there would be damage to the blower system unless there was no oil going to it at high rpm.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I bought a used blower and in the oil pan that came with it there were pieces in the pan... Not sure if they were there after it was taken off... Just wanted to see what other people have experienced...

Also I want to do a motor buildup and wanted to know if I did blow it up... Would the oil line bring parts into the supercharger...... meaning I would have to buy a new blower also...

Personally I think paxton is the better way to go... The whipple charger puts too much horsepower down low, exactly where the viper doesn't need it... ....

What I also noticed is that paxton is coming out with a new blower that has its own oil reservoir....

Joe

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip mjorgensen..... The filter looks more like an oil restrictor....

Either way the supercharger is working perfectly... We were just being cautious...

The car was dynoed on friday and it came to a sweet 658 rwhp..

This was also on a hot day... Larry's shop doesn't have AC at the moment so the numbers should be way better when it gets a little cooler... It must have been around 100 degrees...

I have about a week left til I get the car back!!! I really can't wait...

Joe

Reaction score
Glad to hear the numbers got better. Most of our cars do get stronger with a few mile on them so I hope you enjoy the reliability and new power! Remenber though with cooler weather and more power come LESS traction so be careful! :drive:

steve austin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We have done a bunch of bolt on paxton kits as well as custom turbo work on srt 10s with no problems at all. The main key to having any system done is to have a professional instal and tune.

I can not express enough that you need to have someone that really knows vipers to tune the system.

Right now on my car we are running mopar race computer, mopar race cam with the paxton kit and it works perfect when tuned right.

Hope this answered your questions.

Steve Austin

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wanted to get a couple things clear...

I bought a used Paxton kit. Before I put it on my car, I saw some signs that the previous owner had blew there motor up... I was just wondering if that could have messed up the supercharger in any way....

The kit is now on the car and live and kicking.. Just see if anybody had previous experience with blowing the motor with a paxton installed....

joe