Brake Pad upgrade

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the track this last weekend I had racing brake pads installed between sessions. The braking diffference is huge. The problem was that I stopped my session due to rain and drove home.
All week when applying the brakes there is a huge schreeching noise, like when your pads are worn all the way. Should the rotoros been turned? Is there something I can do now or will this disappear?

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Race pads squeak! They are not made for light street braking. They do there work when they are hot and they will never get hot on the street. Put your old pads back on and the squeaking stop. Plus leaving your race pads on for the street will wear your rotors out faster and plenty of dust. I have a race set and a street set.

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are there any pads that are good for dual use? I track about 3-4 times a year (nothing too serious, just a nice HPDE session).

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the SRT-10's the stock brakes/pads work just fine for a HPDE day. Dodge did a great job on the brakes. If your car is modified- ie Paxton, then by all means you might want to upgrade. But I think for most, stock will work just fine. I might focus on upgrading the brake fluid, but that will require drain/refills of the brake fluid much more often.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are there any pads that are good for dual use? I track about 3-4 times a year (nothing too serious, just a nice HPDE session).

yes, go for a performance street pad, but like everything in life it's a compromise.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The best pads for the street - in stopping ability at relatively low pad temperatures, lack of noise, lack of dust, etc, are *street* pads (I like EBC Greens for street). The best pads for the track - in not fading under extremely high temperatures - are track pads. I'm not aware of *any* pad that is excellent at *both*.

You should be prepping your car for every track session, anyway - replacing the brake fluid is toward the top of my list, so replacing pads only takes perhaps two or three minutes per wheel in addition to the brake fluid purge.