brake pads, need help

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to change my front and rear brake pads next weekend. I've done pads before on other cars, but not on a viper. Looks pretty staight forward, but just want check a couple of things first.

1) are there any particular type brand of pad you guys like. This is a daily driver. I don't track the car.

2) I hate brake dust. Is there a disadvantage to the pads that throw less dust.

3) Is there anything special i should look for when changing the pads.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As you do not plan to track car AND you hate dust...EASY decision in MY book...EBC Greenstuff pads all around, noting to the vendor that you have an 02 car(i.e.ABS). Would order special tool for the rears and follow Service Manual for procedure...ESPECIALLY taking care to line the notches on the piston up with the caliper boss in the rear as discussed in manual (as the inboard rear pad tab must fit into the piston notch).
Skuff the rotors WELL before switching to Kevlar pads (I use a 3-M brake resurfacing sanding kit on an electric drall)...and read the directions WELL with the pads to "bed" as they are NOT done the same way as described in the Service Manual discussion on OEM pads which is stopping several times from 40 mph in a few seconds. To the contrary, for EBC Greenstuff pads...gentle braking over MANY miles as recommended...(see insert or the GreatBrakes website). Others may add or subtract from above, but hopefully, this will get you started.

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, the fronts are totally easy to change, but the rears are more complicated. As Steve said, there is a special tool that you will want to get for the job -- it compresses and twists the rear piston at the same time. This will require you to dismount the rear caliper altogether.
I have not used EBC green pads, but I'm told they have less "bite" than the OEM pads, so be prepared to push your brake pedal harder.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get hung up on the lack of stopping power from EBC's. For street driving they are perfect.

You should consider taking an extra day to spray the rear pads with VHT1500 flat black. Mask off the pad material and make the green go away.

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HIGH BILL..
I RECOMEND THE BRAKEMAN PRODUCT DUE TO THIER QUALLITY.LET FACE IT THE EBC WILL WORK BUT WE ALL LIKE TO HAVE FUN,EVEN ON THE STREET AND A COUPLE GOOD HARD BRAKE'S ON EBC YOU WILL NOTICE SOME FADE.I DO NOT LIKE THE EBC,AT LEAST THE ONES I HAVE RAN ON MY PERSONAL MOTORCYCLE. YOU CAN CALL ME AND I WILL GO OVER SOME OPTIONS AND ALSO DO NOT FORGET TO FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM.THE REAR BRAKES ARE A LITTLE TRICKY EVEN WITH THE CALIPAR TOOL AND RECOMEND YOU HAVE A CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN,NOT A SEAR'S OR NTB TYPE FACILITY THAT TRY TO SELL UNNEEDED SERVICES.
THE TOOL IS AS CHEAP FOR THE REAR CAN GO FROM 15 BUCK'S FOR AS MUCH AS 300.00 FOR A SNAP ON TOOL KIT.IT IS EASY TO RUIN A REAR CALIPAR AND ALSO END UP WITH A LOW BRAKE PEDDLE IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFULL.YOU SHOULD MIC YOUR ROTORS AND STAY WITHIN SPEC TO ALSO ELIMINATE FADE AND TO PREVENT PREMATURE FAILURE.
THANKS, FROM MARK AT VIPER SPEED FT WORTH TX.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the EBC greens for about 20k miles and never liked them much. Jam on the brakes in a quick stop and they didn't seemed to grab very well. I switched to Stoptech(front)/hawk(rear) with EBC slotted rotors. No squeaking and very little dust compared to stock, plus the rotors look cool. They have more dust then EBC but it's not too bad. I forget the exact model of pads but you can check with partsrack and have him look up my order from my e-mail if your interested [email protected]

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the EBC Greens, and hated them. They didn't stop very well, IMHO. Yes, I scuffed the rotors.

They did dust a lot less, though. Is there anyone around you that has them? My advice would be to try them out first. It all depends on driving style... you may not notice a difference in stopping power.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strangely, I mostly read negative comments on this forum about EBC Green and yet everybody recommends it. It has squealing sounds and less stopping power. So for the little savings in brake dust, why should anyone downgrade their braking?

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding Brake Man pads, I recently used them (compound #3) for a track event and they are excellent for that application, but they dust significantly more than the OEM pads and they squeal like crazy. I couldn't stand them for street use and put the OEMs back on.

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice so far. Seems like the green pads are getting mixed reviews. I.m going to have to do more research on them.

Also seems like the rears aren't as easy as they seem. Maybe I shouldn't do these myself. Are they really as complicated as it sounds.

Bill

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Detlef...yes, do BOTH sides of the rotors...actually, with an cordless drill, I am able to do the job with rotors still on both front and rear on ABS Vipers...on older Vipers, rear rotors come off more easily, so I do them off the car...by the way, a mid-rise lift helps a lot !!!

2002GTS...your choice...I don't find this complex, but if you are not comfortable doing the job, ask a Viper friend for help the first time or have your Viper Tech do the job.

STRONGLY SUGGEST that you get a 2002 service manual if you do not have one yet. I think you will enjoy your Viper at a whole different level if you begin to take over some of the maintenance jobs...as long as you ask a bunch of questions, and go slowly at first

As for braking...we have 4 of our Vipers equipped with EBC Greenstuff pads and they stop JUST FINE. for street/highway usage..including an OCCASIONAL "hauling down" from 140-150mph...BUT, these ARE NOT TRACK PADS in my opinion !!!

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I buy the rear caliper tool? Is this something that would be available thru Autozone or discount auto?

Bill

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get scared off doing the rears -- they are more difficult than the fronts, but it's nothing you can't do yourself. You simply have to twist the rear pistons at the same time you are pushing them in. There are two round holes in the rear piston for this purpose. Some people just stick the tips of a pair of needle nose pliers in there and use that (this is what my Viper Tech recommended). The special tool just makes it easier, and it's what I used. As far as where to get it, I borrowed it from a friend, and I don't know where he got it. However, I would guess you can get it from Woodhouse Dodge or from PartsRack.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Bill, I don't know where you live...but if it is anywhere near Indy, bring that Puppy to my house and we'll do the job...you do the work while I hand you the tools...Fair ???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery