Broken sway bar rubber thing-a-ma-jig

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume this is the sway bar bushing. While changing my brake pads, I noticed the drivers side rubber piece is torn. Can I also assume that this is bad and needs immediate attention? Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4923.jpg
    IMG_4923.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
D

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the pointers, will be ordering new bushings for the front.
I do like the IPSCO ones with the zerk grease fitting.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure the slit in the rubber mount in your photo is broken. I changed my mounts on my Gen 1 this past year to poly mounts from Roe Racing. The stock rubber bushings on my front and rear sway bars had slits in them that did not appear to be torn It appears that they came this way from the factory to allow easy on/off.

Bottom line, poly mounts are an easy and inexpensive install for anyone to do at home which offers less give than the stock rubber mounts. Based on the age of the rubber mounts alone, this is something that should be changed sooner than later when you consider the amount of stress they are under.:2tu:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed out my front and rear set for 40 dollars. buy the energy suspension with the grease fittings $20 front and $20 rear. Check your local auto parts store or go to Energy'y website for part numbers. Yours aren't damaged. They are made that way in order to install them. The poly brushing made a noticeable difference on mine.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan's right as always. Unless you take them off and they are egg shaped then you are fine unless you just want to go stiffer. It all depends on your driving style.

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt think that it was damaged. Went out and checked my car and they too have that split in them. Looks like you all get cookies for the correct answers except Robzilla and Dave6666.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt think that it was damaged. Went out and checked my car and they too have that split in them. Looks like you all get cookies for the correct answers except Robzilla and Dave6666.

And you get Dave's award for being a *****. I'm sure Rob would agree.

PS please send my cookies to :tx: with some limes it's soooooooooooo dry here :rolaugh:

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you get Dave's award for being a *****. I'm sure Rob would agree.

PS please send my cookies to :tx: with some limes it's soooooooooooo dry here :rolaugh:

Was going to go with sending out a gold star sticker but we all know that would have made you jealous, considering your sticker fetish.:lmao:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would do the front and back bushings just for the heck of it, they're pretty cheap, I bought the front and back already and just waiting for my lift to arrive and then will install them... BTW the lift is not needed